Home Buying in New Castle>Question Details

Nancy Campbe…, Home Buyer in Ohio

looking for a gay/lesbian friendly area also a gay or lesbian realtor for the delaware area

Asked by Nancy Campbell, Ohio Tue Jun 17, 2008

Answers

8
Nancy,
Rehoboth Beach and surrounding areas are unique in that there is virtually no GLBT discrimination, according to all the folks I know of here that are part of such lifestyle. My partner Kate and I will gladly help you find your dream place here if you wish. The BLBT elements of our community are treated like folks with different colored cars or shirts here; and these folks are just folks that hopefully choose to be part of the overall fabric of our community!

We have almost no striation of our citizens, no marches, etc. We are all just citizens and we work and live together in ways that are not done anywhere else, nearly as well. Go on-line to the various discussion boards and I believe you will find similar answers to mine.

Let us know if you would like to avail yourself of our services.

http://www.Kate-Jody.com
Web Reference: http://www.Kate-Jody.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 1, 2008
Nancy,

Be very careful of your search parameters. In some states sexual orientation is a protected class and therefore looking for a GLBT area would be in effect searching for an area that discriminates against heterosexuals. It would be the same as saying I am looking for a "white's only" area. Realtors are bound by law in most area to follow local and state fair housing regulations, and in all areas to follow federal fair housing regulations. I would check with a local realtor about what state and local laws are in place so that your search doesn't find you in trouble.

http://www.fairhousinghelper.com/state.html
Web Reference: http://www.campiper.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 17, 2008
there are several realtors in the dover area that are very fimilar withyour situation. if you would like a name i would be more then willing to give them to you. they are very helpful and knowledgeable with you situation. please feel free to email me if you would like the information. i know they will help you out. have a good day and i hope that i will be able to help you... if not good luck and i am sure one day our paths will pass seeing as i live in the same areas that you are looking for.
Nancy,
I am a Delaware Realtor specializing in the resort areas of Fenwick island to Lewes, Delaware. I would be more than happy to help you find your home. My website is http://www.allisonstine.com
Allison
I assume that there are city or regional gay or lesbian publications in Delaware. If so, look through them for Realtor ads. Those ads undoubtedly are placed by gay/lesbian-friendly Realtors who, in turn, should be able to help you find a place to live. If you're not able to access any (since you indicate you're from Ohio), go through the same process in Ohio. Look through the gay/lesbian publications there and identify some advertising Realtors. Call them, and explain that you're moving to Delaware and would like a referral to an agent there.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Cameron,
Sorry I seemed to come across as angered at your response. I am not, I know what the laws are as my mother is a realtor. I was being sarcastic and I tend to be when it comes to my civil rights or lack of civil rights!
Again I thank you for the time you have taken to answer both my question and my sarcastic response.
Take care
Nancy Campbell
Nancy,

It appears as though you are upset with the answer that was given you. Everyone in the housing industry is bound by Fair Housing regulations. The laws are intended to protect and not harm the protected classes as defined by local state and federal statutes. These laws protect you from someone being able to tell you that you can't live in an area because you are a lesbian, but when a class becomes protected it is a two edged blade. When physical handicap became protected it was a victory for those who are handicaped becuase it meant that they couldn't be discriminated against. However at the same time it meant that I could no longer discriminate against someone who wasn't handicap (as rediculous as this may sound).

I won't go on the official record here, and would still encourage you to contact a local realtor in Deleware to ask about Fair Housing Regulations. But it appears from my limited research that Deleware does not have sexual orientation as a protected class. The downside to this would be that if someone chose to they could choose to not sell or rent to you because you are a lesbian. Frankly, given your situation, I would rather be in a protected class but that is simply my opinion.

Call a local real estate office, it will help to answer the question more fully for you.

Cameron Piper
Web Reference: http://www.campiper.com
Cameron,

Thanks!! Yes, I will keep your advice in mind. I would not want any heterosexual to know or understand what it feels like to be discriminated against simply because they are heterosexuals. I mean what was I thinking for asking such a question. Oh it could be they have civil rights and I do not but again this is not about civil rights this is about housing and god forbid we confuse the two!! I imagine if this was a question about over 55 retirement community could one answer this question?? Or how about over 55 GLBT communities? Never mind again, discrimination toward the heterosexuals!

I am simply looking for an area where at least 35% of the time I won't get stared at for walking the street with my partner. And God forbid that I want to find an area where our children might be able to attend schools where families are educated enough NOT to point and stare. But again forgive me for my logical question.

In all seriousness, thank you Cameron for your time. Note Cameron you are the only one who took the time to be honest in answering this question!! See, even the though of asking such a question sends shivers down people's spines. I do find it funny people do not mind accepting the money my partner and I spend nor do they mind the fact we pay taxes. But ask where we might be able to live peacefully and treated with some human decency people run and hide behind the civil rights that I am not even entitled too simply because I am a lesbian. Guess I will look for "utopia" the old fashion way, word of mouth!! ( you do realize some idiot will think that answer will have an undertone of a sexual reference)

Again Cameron, thank you for your time!

Nancy Campbell