Home Buying in Cary>Question Details

Pennydaisy, Home Buyer in Cary, NC

looking for a 3 bedroom home with at least 4 acres in cary. older neighborhood is preferred. some privacy is important.

Asked by Pennydaisy, Cary, NC Tue Jan 12, 2010

0 votes Share Flag Home Buying in Cary

I am sure that between your search on the internet and other inquiries, you are finding that your requests present quite a challenge. In your brief statement, I hear 3 things, older neighborhood, privacy and Cary. If I were representing you as a buyers agent, i would pose these issues for your consideration:

1. How important is it to be in Cary? Cary is a great town (I live here) and housing values are much more stable here compared to other areas in the Triangle area. Are there school considerations that have to be met? Finding larger tracts of land in Cary is tough. Being right outside of Cary or close to Cary would present you more options and probably a lesser price.

2. Do you want 4 acres to achieve privacy?

You may be coming from a home or background where you are aware of what 4 acres feels like but there are not many people that can look at a parcel of land and correctly guess the acreage. Also, there may be homes available that have 4 acres but only 1 or two acres are actually able to be used. There may be homes in Cary that have smaller acreage but still achieve the privacy that you want in a home. Without knowing what you specifically want in a home, decreasing your acreage requirements for a home with a Cary address from 4 acres+ to 2-4 acres greatly increase your choices.

3. Older neighborhoods will probably work for you.

You will probably be just fine in this category because i suspect that the majority of homes you will find with your characteristics are going to be older. I would use the term neighborhood loosely because you probably won't find many neighborhoods in Cary that have many 4 acre lots. Most of the homes will probably set back off of a road and not really be in a neighborhood.

You may have all this figured out but if you need someone to talk about your needs or just bounce ideas back and forth, please consider me!!!

Good luck with your home search,

Reginold Jones

919 451 8450
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 13, 2010
Just for fun I checked the MLS to see how many homes meet this criteria in the MLS. As noted by the other agents below the criteria you've outlined is very difficult to find in Cary. There actually is one listing at 1004 Reedy Creek Road that is 5 Acres. The home was built in 1978 and is listed for $550k. Good luck with your search!
I know of a great little neighborhood in Cary called Harmony Hills. Its basically one gravel street, off Davis Drive. It is not quite 4 acres. (3.26) but it is beautiful, wooded, lots of azaelas, there is 4 bedroom, a pool, a barn and pasture. You would never know you are in Cary! I beleive the price is $499,000. The home was built in 1974, but has been painted inside and out, has a new roof, and new bathroom tubs and vanities.
Could be a beautiful retreat with all the Cary conveniences at your fingertips. Please let me know if I can show you this home.
Kim Saylor, Fonville Morisey
I have a client who may be putting their home on the market in N. Raleigh. It has 4 acres and is in older neighborhood with privacy. If you are interested give me a call and I will arrange a meeting to see if it is something you would be interested in. The potential list price we have discussed is reasonable.

Janet Couture]
Coldwell Banker Advantage
Many good answers have been given. I have one thing to add. In regards to why you need 4 acres. Are you planning on having animals, such as horses? If so, it would be very wise to look into the zoning before you look at the house. Most areas of Cary prohibit farm animals, or more than 2 household pets. I doubt that even in Dutchman Downs you would be allowed to have horses.
As everyone else has said, plan to spend plenty of money for 4 acres, if you can find it, in the town of Cary.
Good luck, I'll be happy to answer more quesetions directly.
Good Morning. It will be hard to find 4 acres in Dutchman Downs, although a nice neighborhood. Are you stuck on Cary? There are other adjoining neighborhoods you could look at with acreage if you do not want to spend over 600,000 for the acreage in Cary. Are you working with an agent? There are two homes in my neighborhood one on 2 acres +/- with a Raleigh address. Very nice sized home with a fenced in back yard. No neighbors behind you and on a cul de sac. We are in the County so no city taxes and literally one side of the road is Raleigh and other is Cary into our subdivision. 5 minutes from the Cary Crossroads Shopping center if you are familiar with that area.
As an additional option, there are a few larger tracts of land available for building a new custom home with a Cary address:

Smokemont Drive, 3.7 acres for $200,000 Emery Gale Lane, 3 acres for $280,000 with possible additional 3 acres
Green Level Church Rd, 3.17 acres for $325,000 Old Reedy Creek Rd, 2.99 acres for $395,000, walk to Umstead Park
Indian Wells Rd, 3.09 acres for $400,000 5 acre parcel on Ferson Road next to the Tobacco Trail is contingent under contract.
Cary has long been one of the most sought after areas of the Triangle, so it is harder to find acreage here.

Many of the people we work with who are looking for acreage tend to consider Chatham County, southern Wake County, eastern Wake County, or areas around Hillsborough or north of Durham.
Web Reference: http://www.StantonHomes.com
Would you mind sharing your price range? The Cary real estate market has many options, but finding a lot that large will probably put the price in the $250,000.00+ range. I have a listing just outside Cary on 4.8 acres, 5500 square feet, 3-car garage, gorgeous property, priced at $1,475,000.00. Go to pruysu.com and at the find agent button click "montie" and you will go to my web site within our company web page. This home is located on Kirks Ridge Drive, was custom built for these owners, and is a one-of-a-kind property. If this home doesn't meet your needs I can search for something more appropriate, and even set you up on an automatic email feed of homes in the size and style you're looking for. Just let me know if I may be of assistance.

Best always,
Montie Smith
in Cary, your best option is Dutchman Downs subdivision. It's on the south end - towards Ten Ten Rd. here's one home for sale there (see link below). There's one off Tryon Rd that's Raleigh under 400K, otherwise you're looking at 589K or more.