Home Buying in Winchendon>Question Details

phee4, Home Buyer in Winchendon, MA

looking at a house with little to no driveway. what is the process to take down old shed and tar a driveway? I sure it is ok to do

Asked by phee4, Winchendon, MA Thu Jun 13, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


Definitely make a visit to the town's building department. The driveway must meet all zoning bylaws and regulations such as side setbacks, etc. If you have to remove curbing, you will have to get an approval. You will need a permit. If buying the house depends on putting in a driveway, you should find out now if you can do it rather than later.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
I would recommend hiring a professional to assist you with this. They can make sure that your Liability is limited in this Renovation of your property. Good Luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
First never assume you can do something with out asking the town first, especiallly if your decision to buy is based on that assumption.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
You should still consult with the local building department/inspectional services. Often there might be a need for them to get involved if there is any electricity run over to the shed or there is a foundation involved to make sure these things are dealt with properly, also sometimes if you need a dumpster to get rid of the waste there may be a demolition permit or dumpster permit. Still best to check. Also since you're removing a structure you'll want to notify the municipality to potentially lower your tax assessment. You may also want to consult with your attorney to see if it'll affect your appraisal & value of the property that a lender is lending on if you're using a mortgage. Insurance also is another topic to look into.

Hope that helps,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jun 13, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer