Sherilyn Red…, Home Buyer in Saint Augustine, FL

is there a difference in HOA fees for townhomes vs conbos? Do townhomes HOA's cover the same things as condos?

Asked by Sherilyn Rederth, Saint Augustine, FL Mon Feb 18, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://=www.trulia.com/property/3108006701-428-Cabernet-Pl-Saint-Au… target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.trulia.com/property/3108006701-428-Cabernet-Pl-Sa…

Answers

6
Yes, as you can see by the responses below, the answer to your question is a resounding - "sometimes." Each condo association and each townhome can be very different in what is covered by the fees. I have seen townhomes where you could visably see that each owner was responsible for all of the exterior maintenance -- you could tell that some of the roofs had been replaced and some had not. Most of the newer townhomes do operate their associations more like traditional condos and include the exterior maintenance within that fee, but it is best to contact, or have your agent contact the association and ask for the documents and financials so you can see for yourself how it is all handled and see if they are setting aside money in a reserve fund to handle the big things like painting and roof replacement when they come up. If I can be of help, please feel free to give me a call, text or drop me an email. Karen Peil, Broker Associate, Prudential Network Realty, 904-501-3070 e: karen.peil@prunet.com or visit my website at http://www.MyStAugustineHome.com
Ok, then, thanks for all the great responses.
Let me get a little more specific now.
I love Olde Town Villages, and Avila in Palencia, even though I haven't actually seen one, looks like something I would like too. They are both selling in my price range.
Could someone compare for me the 2 condos?
1. HOA pays?
2. HOA price?
3 CCD costs?
4 Taxes?
Well...some properties are listed as town homes but by definition a town home includes the ground on which it sits. It is not just the design. HOA Fees for a true town home do not include the maintenance of the exterior walls and roof...and this is where the dues differ most often. But all condo dues do not cover the same for all ...some do include water and sewer, cable, exterior maintenance, insurance, etc and some do not. Typically the newer ones built in the last 3 years do not include water and sewer. Caveat...always read the condo docs to be sure what is included!
Hi Sherilyn,
If you are looking at Town Homes and Condos that have HOA fees you would be wise to also make sure there are not separate yearly CDD fees also. CDD fees can be minimal but can also range up to $1000 a year and even more. So if you are looking to stay in your price range always ask if there are CDD fees as well as HOA fees. Hope this helps you. Please feel free to contact me.

Alicia Rocawich, Realtor
904-718-3426
http//:staugustinefloridarealestatealicia.com
There is always a difference in fees from community to community, but in the case of townhomes vs. condos, it can be vastly different. In some cases, townhomes are sold as fee simple, and each owner is responsible for the upkeep of the exterior on their own.

Condos fees always cover exterior, insurance on the exterior of the building, all of the common areas, which can include walkways, elevators, interior hallways, exercise rooms, clubhouses, etc. Sometimes it includes water, sewer, management, garbage, etc. also.

Generally townhomes are structured to keep their fees low and to have the owners pay for as much on their own as possible

The biggest variable can be whether they are saving money for future repairs. This money is known as reserves, and is very important.

If I can help you further, please call me at 904-826-6633

Luann Allen
Typically a condo hoa will cover exterior insurance when a town home might not. With a town home you actually own the land in most cases.