Home Buying in Seattle>Question Details

Foo, Other/Just Looking in Seattle, WA

is speed hump a negative thing?

Asked by Foo, Seattle, WA Mon Jul 22, 2013

I saw some discussions about speed humps in residential neighborhood. Some say good and some say bad. I know YMMV. In my case, it is a speed hump at the entry to the residential community. It is on a major road inside the community (I believe only residents, guests and people offering service to residents in the community drive on this road, and no/little through traffic as there is a main street without speed humps very nearby). The speed limit for this road is 25MPH while the speed limit is 15MPH at the speed hump. For sure, there will be some noise when car moves over the hump (slow down and then accelerate). I have two little kids too. Do you see this speed hump clearly a negative thing on the property very close the speed hump? Thanks!

Answers

11
Further to this question I ask you: do you want your kids next to a road where cars are traveling @ 30 mph or slowing to 10 mph?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jul 22, 2013
I have concern about kids safety, even though there is backyard and we intend to have kids play either in house or in the backyard. But I know, we can't say no concern.
Flag Mon Jul 22, 2013
I think that speed humps are a positive feature. A lot of home buyers already have children, and they appreciate the safety measure. I think most residential neighborhoods have them. I really don't think it will be that big of an issue for most people.

http://www.bossbollards.com.au/humps.html
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 22, 2014
Can be a hoot on an enduro.
Boy, you got a lot of opinions which shows that in general, buyers also have a lot of opinions. I say, what you have is what you have, so you might as well live with it. When you move, you can look for a place with speed bumps or not depending on your preference.

Good luck to you in any case,
Jirius Isaac
Isaac Real Estate Team
Champions Real Estate Services
TriStar Finance #MLO-107799
Office: 425-483-6849 Cell: 206-841-9976
Winner of Seattle Magazines 5 Star
Real Estate Agent Best in Client Satisfaction Award
Mortgage Loan Originator Best in Client Satisfaction
Rob, it's also not very good on your brakes or transmission as you slow down before the bump as fast as you can and then speed up as fast as you can before the next bump. ;-)

BTW, our neighborhood hires off duty law enforcement to ticket speeders. Very effective and not as annoying as speed bumps.
It's not very helpful on your car's springs if you want to go fast over it. At least that's what Click and Clack, The Tappet Brothers say on their radio talk show...
Consider looking beyond the negative and finding the positive in having speed control devices in a neighborhood. They are there for a reason.....and I certain that many would view them as essential.

The reason you have them is because it's a relatively high-traffic through street. Traffic calming devices generally work, but there needs to be traffic to calm before they're installed.
I believe speed humps can contribute to a better and safer neighborhood and that equates to stable property values. SDOT (Seattle Department of Transportation) has an ongoing Traffic Calming Program designed to improve safety in our city.

The following physical traffic calming devices, traffic circles, chicanes, and speed humps, are installed on non-arterial streets that are also non-emergency routes. The appropriate device depends on the roadway geometry, sight distance, and the traffic characteristics such as speed and volume.

Traffic Circles - Used primarily to reduce collisions at intersections, traffic circles can also reduce speeding along residential street corridors and improve bicycle and pedestrian safety. In addition to these safety benefits, many circles can be landscaped, which can provide aesthetic enhancements to the street.

Chicanes – A series of 2 or 3 curb bulbs, chicanes slow traffic by creating a narrow, winding section of roadway. Like traffic circles, many chicanes can be attractively landscaped. Since they result in eliminating some parking, they are generally only installed where there is low demand for on-street parking.

Speed Humps – 12’ long, 3” high mounds that extend the full width of the street, speed humps can be effective at reducing speeds. They are generally only used when speeds are very high as they can divert traffic to adjacent streets.

Speed Cushions – Similar to speed humps, speed cushions are divided into sections so that wide wheelbase vehicles can straddle them. As such, they can more easily accommodate transit, fire engines, and other emergency response vehicles.

Radar Speed Signs – By displaying the speed of oncoming vehicles, these signs provide direct feedback to drivers and remind them to slow down. This can also be an effective device for multi-lane arterial streets.

Road Rechannelization – Sometimes referred to as “road diets”, a typical rechannelization project reconfigures the street from four multi-purpose lanes to two multi-purpose lanes, a center left turn lane, and bicycle lanes. This lane combination can decrease vehicle collisions, reduce vehicle speeds and improve pedestrian and bicycle safety.

Seattle is a growing city- a city of the future. As such we will benefit from having our streets and neighborhoods safe and able to accommodate all types of traffic; cars, bikes, foot and whatever comes next.
It's clearly a negative on value, but if you're buying you're getting that benefit. The worst situation would be to have speed bumps put in after you buy.

I would hate to live anywhere near a speed bump, or to have a property that would require I go over any speed bumps. Other people don't mind.
Speed humps are both good and bad. It's good to have speed humps as a physical reminder to slow down. Speed humps can improve safety, that's a given. However, the vehicular noise associated with a speed hump can be very annoying, and disturb sleep. So, although speed humps are generally a good thing for the greater community, a speed hump is not a very good thing if it's in front of your house.