Z, Home Buyer in Redwood Heights, Oak...

is redwood heights (lower price end) a good place to live? Is it safe?

Asked by Z, Redwood Heights, Oakland, CA Fri Jul 29, 2011

Answers

7
It is a great place! There is not a lot of traffic. There are not many apartmrnts, so the community is pretty stable. It is a residential area with mostly custom homes, and middle class people . Like all of Oakland, happily, it is ethnically diverse.
ABSOLUTELY!!! I love this neighborhood, been here since 1981. Diverse, convenient, quiet, fantastic elementary school (where my daughter teaches), friendly people, active homeowner's assn, relativey stable real estate values...what more could you want? One of my favorite things as a Top Producing Realtor is to show Redwood Heights homes to my clients!
I have clients both owners and tenants who live in Redwood Heights and just love it. I know it's tough to know where to live in a new city but you are doing the right thing by reaching out. You don't mention if you are renting or buying. If schools are important to you, make sure to call the school district to verify where your kids would be going. Oakland is an open school district but those in the neighborhood have a better chance of getting into schools.

The other advise given below is great too:)
I agree with Bill, the people I know who live there love it. You can check the Oakland Crime Watch website at:
http://gismaps.oaklandnet.com/crimewatch/. I usualy advise buyers to check the area they are looking in, and then check other areas that they already know and think are safe and feel comfortable in and then compare them. Another thing to check is the boundaries of the elementary school. When people refer to Redwood Heights, they usually mean within the Redwood Heights School district.
Web Reference: http://lindaelkin.net
A good place to live should be dictated by your wants, needs, lifestyle, etc., therefore if unfamiliar with the area, do take the time and visit more than once, and at different times of day; drive around, possibly chat with locals/neighbors, etc.; as for safety concerns, your best sources of accurate information are the local authorities, consider a visit/call and ask all your questions, hear all there is to firsthand...
Redwood heights, in my opinion, is a good area to live. You can find homes in the 350K range all the way over 600K. I do not know what your "lower" end means. Let me know if you want, so I can narrow the results.
It has easy access to 580, and 13, the shopping center there and the closeness to Laurel. Some area's of RH have great views too. If you go too far south, where 13 and 580 come together, you may have some freeway noice. Let me know what specifically you were thinking of and I can assist you in your search.
Kind regards
Antoine
Everyone who I know, who lives there, loves the area. You can check out crime statistics at City of Oakland website. You can draw a map and track reported crime in a very specific area.
best of luck