Home Buying in Minneapolis>Question Details

Michael, Home Buyer in Saint Paul, MN

is north minneapolis worth even looking at with all of the violent crime in that area ?

Asked by Michael, Saint Paul, MN Wed Sep 26, 2012

Answers

13
I dont know if I would post crime with and area that may get you in trouble???
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
North Minneapolis is a very large place - it consists of 13 distinct neighborhoods and approximately 60,000 people. The type of home, level of owner-occupancy and crime statistics vary greatly across that large space, so the question is a bit hard to answer.

I do a ton of work in North Minneapolis (and live there too) and would highly recommend that you include the area in your searches, and then when you find houses that look nice and suitable and fit your price range, investigate that particular neighborhood. Most all of them have websites, and you can find people who live nearby to speak with about their own experiences and what they like or dislike about the neighborhood.

Constance Vork
Lakes Area Realty
constance@nompelis.com
612-396-4046
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 14, 2012
Hey Michael,

First off we always need to make it clear that by law Realtors can not steer buyers into a certain neighborhood or away from one. In that sense we can only help you gain information on neighborhoods so you can come to the decision yourself. You probably have already looked at this, but I have pasted a link below of the city's crime statistics for you to look at.

I will say this; since becoming a Realtor I have realized that many of my "perceptions" of neighborhoods in the twin cities have been false. That is because I, like most buyers, were going off of news or just what other friends of mine said. I grew up in a certain neighborhood so I tended to be biased towards others. I learned my lesson. The best way to know is drive the area to get a feel for it, and back it up with the facts.

Don't ever generalize whole cities, because Minneapolis is very micro and the market can be block-by-block. Good luck to you Michael!

~Chris
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 27, 2012
Mnlakeplace,

Curious why you think that post crime data would get you in trouble?

Cam
Once again - I would do your own research on any area you are looking in. A call to the police department, conversations with neighbors, and networking through personal contacts may lead you to the answers you are seeking. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012
I just discovered this very interesting "Shots Fired Map" on the City of Minneapolis website (http://www.minneapolismn.gov/police/statistics/crime-statist…) You can really get a feel for the location and severity of crime as well as how it has changed over time. There is a link to a new map weekly. Very cool for people who like to analyze data visually!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 21, 2012
I've lived in North since 1996. So have a lot of other people. And a ton of people are buying homes there.

I think if you're going to look at one set of statistics - you should look at ALL the statistics . Affordable, well-built homes, active neighborhood groups, down payment assistance programs, new restaurants (Victory 44, Lowry Cafe) and businesses (Goddess of Glass and Friends Gift Shop) are coming in - do your home work, meet some people who live there, and explore the neighborhoods. If you'd like referrals to specific contacts within neighborhood organizations to talk to about their communities, send me a message and I'll help you make those connections, so you can decide for yourself if North is the right option for you.

Stephanie Gruver
RE/MAX Results
There are some really wonderful homes in North Minneapolis. Prices are lower than any part of the city as well. In parts of North Minneapolis, crime is no greater than most other areas and there are some great neighborhood organizations there as well. I would recommend you at least take a look at some homes there and see if the area is for you.

Stephanie Fox
spfox@cbburnet.com
612-728-2204
here is some recent data on violet crimes: http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/public/@mpd/document…

Cody Anderson, MN Licensed Realtor

RE/MAX RESULTS
Metropolitan Home Team

Website: http://www.results.net/cody.anderson

Are we Facebook friends? https://www.facebook.com/cody.anderson.1293
Wow, you got some really long answers here!!!

Something that people do not know about real estate agents is that, legally, we cannot give you crime information or information about any other demographics that might be considered part of what the government calls a "protected class" of people. That said, we can give you information about the market in certain areas all day long!!! Any other demographics, you have to look that up on your own. City of Mpls. has a great portion of their website that is VERY informative.

So, if you want to look in North Mpls., contact a good agent who has their fingers on that pulse. There are some AMAZING bargains to be had. And, several years from now, when the market has turned around, you're going to be glad you made this purchase now!!!

Good luck~
Indeed Cameron good point! The problem that the questions are always similar to this one. Most of the time they just say "bad neighborhoods", or at least that is what my buyers say to me. The problem with that is "bad" or "violent crime" or any of these can still be seen as subjective to the individual. I know many people that live in North Minneapolis that feel perfectly safe in their home.

But Cameron said something very important. We realtors can and should help you Michael, if you wish, gain all the information YOU NEED to make an informed decision. We just can not be the ones to pass judgment.

Kinda funny because I am having this exact situation with a buyer of mine as we speak. You just have to go through the process and it will all work out great.
if you were looking at buying a house and you recently got married would you look at houses in north minneapolis ?
Flag Thu Sep 27, 2012
Michael,

Chris gives some great advice but I want to clarify one thing that he said. Steering is not illegal unless its basis is discrimination of a protected class. Someone can say to an agent that they want to live in “X” city and not “Y”, and an agent only showing them houses in “X” city would not be steering that client. Additionally, if someone decided that they didn't want to be a victim of crime in their neighborhood, they could choose neighborhoods where they felt the crime would be lower. An agent showing them houses in those neighborhoods, or even assisting them in determining the crime in certain areas would not be steering.

In the end, steering has to have a discriminatory bent to it for it to be illegal. I can't decide to show you houses in “X” neighborhood, because people of similar race or ethnicity to yours live there. Additionally you as a buyer can't choose not to live in “Y” neighborhood because you don't like the racial makeup of those people that live there. It may seem like splitting hairs, but agents (not Chris) are all too often afraid to give advice or assist their clients in making crucial decisions because they misunderstand steering laws. I'm not an attorney so don't take my word as the final answer, but make sure that you find an agent who is willing to help you make the hard decisions as well as the easy ones.

Cameron Piper
Coldwell Banker Burnet
licensed MN Real Estate Broker
Web Reference: http://www.CamPiper.com
Good Question! The short answer is "yes". For starters, let's forget about crime statistics, and look at North Mpls. in terms of whether or not the homes there represent a good value, generally. The answer to that is... "yes". in a general sense, the cost per finished square foot of homes for sale in North Mpls. is about the lowest you'll find anywhere in the Metro area. So, you get a whole lotta house for your buck! Additionally a lot of money is being spent to re-vitalize that area. There's low interest loans, there's special rehab loans, there's grants, there's deals on HUD homes...(especially if you happen to be employed in the areas of law enforcement, education, or health care, or if you happen to be a fireman).

I see that you are in St. Paul. I lived in St. Paul for the first 25 years of my life. I remember going through the Selby-Dale-Western area and being very afraid. There were violent crimes in that area in the 50's, 60's, and 70's....then, it got re-vitalized with the same types of loans, grants, and special programs that North Mpls. has today. Today the Selby-Dale-Western area is quite nice and you won't find anything nearly as cheap as it once was. North Mpls. properties could very well provide a very good return on investment.

The homes in North Minneapolis are often very nice homes! Many are larger that you'll find most places. There's an abundance of two-story homes and most were built during an era of sturdy construction techniques. Most of the homes will likely still be standing a century from now. The style of the homes generally is such that they have "character" which appeals to many people as opposed to more modern "cookie cutter" suburban homes.

I always tell my buyer clients to look at the neighborhood because no matter what they do to the house, they can't change the neighborhood. While that's true, the City, the State, the Federal Government and other entities with deep pockets, can. Right now though, the North Mpls area has a lot to offer. It's INSIDE the 494/694 "beltway"....making it centrally located in the greater metro area and very convenient to nearly any metro destination. It has established schools, places of worship, an established business community, parks, playgrounds, etc.

In the end, you are the one that gets to decide where you want to live. You need to base you decision on the things that matter most, TO YOU. You may not like North Oaks, you may love Brooklyn Center, you might like Blaine but not Coon Rapids. These likes or dislikes are personal decisions but I wouldn't rule anyplace out until YOU are sure it should be. Everywhere is going to have "advantages" and "disadvantages" in YOUR mind. That's all that matters. YOU decide...don't ask others whether or not THEY think you should or should not choose a particular place to live. I'd start by keeping an open mind to anywhere that makes reasonable sense to you.

If you are unsure about a particular neighborhood, go to a park and talk to the people who live there. Ask 'em what they like and what they dislike about living there. Look at homes in many areas and when you find the right home, it' won't let you quit thinking about it.

If you would like my (no cost to you) help, guidance, advice, and representation, just contact me.