Corinne Ruff…, Other/Just Looking in Lancaster, PA

is it worth moving to a house that is the same sq ft as mine, but has 2 additional bedrooms plus garage and is detached versus my semi-det. w/ no gar?

Asked by Corinne Ruffner, Lancaster, PA Fri Sep 10, 2010

I love the area I live in, but do not like the neighborhood. I found a house for sale that's the same size as mine in sq ft, but has a fireplace in the finished basement and a 4th bed. I only have a 2 bed, semi-detached. THe house was built the same year as mine, but has no central air. I'd have to put that in right away, which I know is upwards of 12k. The yard is a little bit bigger there, also. Would it be worthwhile if I love that neighborhood that it's in?

Answers

13
Hi Connie, if you are wanting to move up to a home within your neighborhood please give me a call anytime. As a Realtor I have access to the latest listings. I'm a full time agent available 7 days a week and would enjoy meeting you and working with you to find your new home. Thanks for posting your question! Barbara Ries, (717) 286-9662
You gotta love were you come home to every day. As for the Central air, I would recommend you get several estimates you should be able to get something done a lot cheaper than 12K. Call me if you like we can talk about the options available to you. 717-587-3194
Hi Corrinne...Peace, shelter, harmony, warmth, friendliness are some of the things we love to feel when we get home. If you have lost some of these in your neighborhood now, they are tough to get back. Just make sure you are not seeing the grass a different color looking over the fence...make sure it is that different color before you make any big decisions. If you should move, best wishes, the rates are great right now....
Jim Ryan, Home Savings of America, 703 591 5626 ext 419.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 11, 2010
Sound like the home you are thinking about moving to might be a better value for you. Only you and some good professionals with strong area knowledge can really fully come to that conclusion. I would recommend looking into an FHA 203k loan. You may be able to get the money you need to add central air in the loan with that kind of financing as well as any other repairs you may need to do. Hope that helps.
Unfortunately, it's a decision only you can make based on your finances, wants, needs, lifestyle--follow your gut, where would you be the happiest in the long run....
Hi Corrine
In answer to your question, if you do not like your neighborhood now, you will never like your neighborhood! You need the assistance of a qualified Realtor. I am a Realtor and can help you more with this information. Please feel free to contact me at 717-682-1266.
Thx for your question.
The value of a house is that it gives you shelter and improves your life .It is a please to invite friends and family to where they can relax and have a good time.It is a place where children can grow up in safety .
You want a neighborhood where you can find friendly people that communicate and help each other when needed.
This are the first factors you have consider.
The house value should bea secondary factor.History has proven that real estate is not necessairely a good financial investments, however for somepeople it has worked.
The decision that the financial impact is worth a move is very subjective and can only be answered by you.
The 2 extra bedrooms and the 2 car garage will make the other house more atractive to most buyers ,but there are other factors involved ,like the esthetics of the house and the nighborhood.
Without seeing both properties I can not give further advice.
No matter what you do to the home you live in now, you will never be able to change the location. Your question is very personal to you, I always suggest the list of pros and cons for my clients. One pro you may want to add are the incredible interest rates lower then they have ever been, it is really a cost savings to anyone buying at this time. If you need any help please feel free to contact me
Hi Corinne! Location is huge when you're buying a home and it sounds like this other neighborhood is where you want to be. It also sounds like the house has more features that you like as well. I'd like to speak with you in more detail to gain perspective on what you're looking for and why before helping you to decide if it's worth it or not.
Tough question, and I agree that much of that is up to you. I'm guessing though, that the detached home you are looking at with 4 bedrooms and a garage is probably worth more than the home you currently own despite the lack of central air. If so, then in this market you will probably not lose as much value on yours than what you will gain on the purchase of the new one. You are making a step up that should pay off when the market turns around. With the rates and home prices what they are, this may be an opportunity you may not have had 2-3 years ago.
I'd certainly love to help if you'd like,
Matt
Location makes all the difference - if you know and love your area it sounds like a place you want to stay. That is the toughest part of the question for most buyers - the WHERE do I want to live part.

So you've got that solved, now on to the house - only you can answer that. Buy the house that works for you in a location that works (and in your case how wonderful that you know and love the area) and enjoy it. Do that and when the time comes you should be fine - prices are down, borrowing rates are so good as to be ridiculous. View it as your home, not an investment, negotiate the best price possible with the assistance of your agent.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
Hello Corinne!

The first step is to determine how you will measure the "worth it" factor. You could decide to look at it from two different aspects: "financial" and "quality of living". For the later, make a list of the features that are different (that you mentioned in your question). Then list whether it's a pro or con and how important each item is to you. For the financial analysis, don't forget to look at your current loan and terms compared to a new one.

I'd be happy to help you look at the financial end of things with quick calculations based on today's interest rates. For this analysis, you'd need to know the current value of your home in today's market (what you paid for it won't likely be the right number to use). I can provide a free no-obligation analysis for you -- I'm here to help!

Have a great day!
Nadine Reinhardt
-- Forrey Real Estate
Only YOU can answer that question Corinne! You have to measure the plusses and minuses of staying vs moving. "Worth it" is measured how? By money (are you saving money with the move)? By how much you like the area? Do you like the house and its style and amenities?

Buying a house is a very personal decision. Only you can define "worth it" to you. Good luck!