Qiupyu, Other/Just Looking in San Francisco, CA

is it still possible to get a 3br, 1 bath single-family house at around $400,000 or $450,000 in san francisco? excluding bayview and visitacion valley

Asked by Qiupyu, San Francisco, CA Wed Oct 20, 2010

My family are planning to buy our first home soon. we have an approval letter from a bank for a $400,000 home, but we have some room for a higher price. Our ideal house is a 3 br single family house, with garage, in san francisco not exceeding $450,000 and preferably within 1 mile radius of the balboa bart station. we would prefer not to buy in the bayview or visitacion valley, but would not exclude silver terrace or portola. I'm asking this is because if we cannot get a decent property within san francisco, we will consider the east bay instead. please help.

Answers

11
Qiupyu,

There are currently 9 homes listed under $450K in the city, excluding District 10 (Bayview, Hunters Point, Visitacion, etc...). Most need work or are not in great areas.

If you are open to the easy bay, you will get much more bang for your buck there, especially if you are willing to buy a place that needs updating and/or can go a little higher. An excellent example: We have clients who are in contract on a 3BR 2BA 1888 sq ft house in Rockridge now for $540K.

I would consider looking near east bay BART stations if BART is a big deal for you. I would also speak with a lender to get an idea of what you can actually afford, then you can balance that against what you want to afford. If you would like some assistance figuring out what area(s) make sense and/or lender referrals, our contact info is below.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425
hello Oiupyu: I would be glad to assist you in your purchasing quest, either in San Francisco and surrounding areas or the East Bay. My first question will be why San Francisco? if you are looking for affordability and beauty there are many places to look besides San Francisco, but if you love San Francisco I can still assist you. My phone is 925-400-8357.
As all the answers below have indicated, there are diamonds in the rough in San Francisco, however they probably will be fixers that will need work. Otherwise you may want to look into other areas down the peninsula such as Daly City. The orginal Daly City and top of the hill (typically from Mission/Sickles San Francisco to Daly City Bart) area have homes that are in your price range.

Otherwise, in the East Bay you have numerous homes in many different cities that are definitely in your price range.

The bigger question is how big is your family? What is the square footage you want for the house and lot? Where do you commute to? Some of my clients were in the same exact boat as you. They would love to live in the City. However, with a 800-1000 square foot home for a family of five, they complained it was too small. When they moved to the East Bay, they purchase a home with over 2000 square feet and a huge lot. It all depends on what your comfortable with.

Hope this helps and Good luck!
Here is another option to think about : Duplex. 1 unit for owner occupancy and 1 for rental income. There is one in your neighborhood http://sfarmls.rapmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?APPNAME=Sanfr…
Find a local agent who is experienced and invest some time into looking at all the possibilities.

Tap
Buying an affordable house in San Francisco has been the challenge for many otherwise qualified buyers. Your situation is typical. There are plenty of houses under $450,000 in San Francisco. However, as you point out, in areas that leave a lot to be desired. If you do find a house in the areas you've cited, you'll soon discover that there is a lot of competition for these -- even for houses needing a lot of work! In spite of their being houses in the pre-foreclosure stages or even those that are already foreclosed, you'll find it challenging to get your foot in the door. I would like to say that there are a few houses I can tell you about that would make good choices for you, but you'll find that they may be there, but by the time you make a solid offer others may already have made ALL CASH offers. Can you compete with that? I have helped many folks to find alternative houses outside of the immediate areas (San Francisco), in communities where houses are abundant, newer, bigger and in communities where your dollars will go much farther. Alas, that also requires that you settle for moving out of town. Tough choices, but don't expect that San Francisco prices will come down to the level you need any time soon. Wish I could give you a better take on this, but this is what it is right now. Good luck!
Qiupyu

Here are your options:

http://www.mlsfinder.com/ca_sfar/oggikashi/index.cfm?action=…

Let me know if you have any questions.

Oggi Kashi,
Broker Associate
Paragon Real Estate Group - dre1844627
Web Reference: http://www.oggikashi.com/
Just a bit of extra information for you, that size in that price category not in the areas you mentioned is competitive here in the City. Also new buyers need to know that 45% of homes sold in SF sell over the asking price.
I’ve got to say that there are great homes in that size close to that price in Daly City just across the border. Much easier commute than across the bridge.
Jed Lane, Real Estate Pro in San Francisco, CA

This property came on the market today and may fit your criteria.

http://sfarmls.rapmls.com/scripts/mgrqispi.dll?APPNAME=Sanfr…

Lizete
Web Reference: http://www.LizeteSantos.com
Still possible. Areas such Glen park, Sunset, Outer Richmond or even Potrero may have what you are looking for. Would you be willing to a little work on the house? :-)
There are currently 7 Active 3 bedroom listings in San Francisco and not located in the areas you mentioned. Several need work. Feel free to call me or shoot me an email for detailed information if you like. Good luck.
-Greg