Rob, Home Buyer in Shelton, CT

is it insulting to offer market average per sq ft.?There are plenty of homes overpriced LTV which concern me when purchasing

Asked by Rob, Shelton, CT Fri Sep 11, 2009

Answers

4
If you make an offer that is based on fact, such as the average price per square foot of comparable sales, then you have a strong case regardless of how a seller feels about it. Whether or not the offer is accepted is of course up to them. Again, the question here, is whether you are comparing apples to apples, or does the home you are considering have other factors that may add or detract from the value? The other question that only can answer is what the home is worth to you. If you plan to own for a long time, you are likely to be fine with a price that's within the general range of current market value. I hope this helps. -Linda
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 16, 2009
Please don't worry about being inslulting....but not a good plan because of all the previous answers....I agree with all the responses.....it is difficult to compare applies to apples on paper......an experienced buyer's agent will be able to help you out as he/she will either have seen sold homes or can get information on the condition....and you must be willing to drive by those sold homes to see the location ....neighborhood, closeness to schools, train, etc. ec. if you are interested in Cos Cob, Glenville, Byram or anyother area of Greenwich, or even Stamford, I would be glad to help...you can reach me at 203-622-9205
Hi Rob,
Price per square foot can be very helpful if you have VERY similar homes nearby that have sold recently and may be a bit larger or smaller than the home you are considering. Not factored into a price per square foot is the location, the size and landscaping of the property and the condition of the property. Remember only sold homes are potential comparable sales. Your agent can help sort through these factors and do the best possible job in comparing apples to apples. There may not be comparable sales available, in which case, as stated below, you can offer what you feel the home is worth, and go from there. -Linda Raymond, Realor William Raveis Real Estate, Southport, CT
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 12, 2009
Hi Rob, A simple question with a complicated answer. The average per sq.ft price applys only to the average house. The best way to decide what to offer is to engage a Buyer'a Agent and have them do a "Buyer's Side CMA". This will give you a much more detailed approach to making an offer and it will give you some ammunition for the negotiations to follow.