Home Buying in Blackhawk>Question Details

Judy Robinson, Other/Just Looking in 94506

is it customary for the washer, dryer and refrigerator to be included in the sale.?

Asked by Judy Robinson, 94506 Sat Sep 4, 2010

Answers

21
Barbara Wilson’s answer
No. Those items are not part of the house, they are not connected, except as one would connect a lamp! (unless it is a built-in refrigerator. The inclusion of these 3 items are completely negotiable. In this Seller's market, I would be very careful about asking for those things in a buyers contract. You can always ask later, or negotiate a price. But there is no "what is normally done?" It is whatever will get you the house.

But if, in the MLS, they say "refrigerator, washer and dryer" that is different. They usually say hookups only if the appliances are not included.

If your seller took them, and they were listed, your only recourse is small claims court.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 28, 2013
Not always. Many times I advise seller to leave removable appliances out of the listing agreement as if they are not included. Usually a buyer that will want those items but won't be discouraged from making an offer on the house because those items are not included. Appliance make great consessions (pawns) for more inportant issues (price) and other terms. From the buyer perspective if you really want the appliances then negotiate it into the deal somehow. If you really love the house and the sellers have good reason for wanting to keep them. Have the seller replace them with some others, maybe even of your chosing, work it into transacton so it isn't more money out of pocket when it comes time for you to move in.
Cheers,
pb
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
As Bernard said, if it is attached (like a built-in refrigerator which usually has cabinetry around it) it is part of the sale. You can negotiate them in, but I have had some experience with a couple of lenders that considered the washer and dryer to be personal property that they did not want to finance, so they had to be excluded from the sale. So, before you write it in your contract, check with your lender to make sure you won't have any issues.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
Customary practice varies from state to state, which is why one of the answers below says that it is normal. But he is not a California agent.

The California Purchase Contract is written so that only fixtures are included in the sale. A built-in refrigerator is a fixture. A regrigerator that is not built in, just like a washer dryer, is assumed to be excluded from the sale.

Notwithstanding any of this, everything is always negotiable. If you want to be sure that what you want is included, make sure your agent writes up the contract so there is no ambiguity.

Bernard Gibbons

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Bernard Gibbons, J. Rockcliff Realtors
DRE License # 01331583
Phone (925) 997-1585 - bernard@bernardgibbons.com

http://www.BernardGibbons.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
Hi Judy,

Researching the difference between real property and personal property is key here.

Kind regards,

Arpad
They are all considered personal property unless the refrigerator is built into the cabinetry. Built ins are considered part of the house. You can negotiate for the seller to leave those item in the sale of the home and list them at no value. Some people are attached to them and some aren't. If the sellers want a new washer and dryer or a different color in their new home they may be happy to leave them behind if you have negotiated a good offer price for the home. In a hot sellers market it may be risky asking. You don't want to lose a deal over asking for something personal. Once in escrow you can ask if they are for sale. They probably won't be for free but may still be at a good price.
In most cases, the washer and dryer are brought by the buyer. I do know that in some situations, the seller leaves behind their old washer and dryer for the buyers to use. However, in this situation, most of the time the washer and dryer are in bad shape and need to be repaired anyway, making it a bit inconvenient. I would just decide if you want to leave behind those appliances for the next owners to use! http://www.whitegoodssolutions.com.au/aboutus/
It was specifically mentioned in the MLS as the refrigerator being included , what do you guys think
Bernard is "right on" target!
Hi Judy,

It is absolutely negotiable. Might as well ask for them if you're buying. If you're selling, just one more thing to consider in an offer.

Will Bateson, Broker, Sidewalk Homes
925-455-0845
will@sidewalkhomes.com
Hi Judy,

Personal property is not usually included unless stated in the mls or when writing the offer and these are personal property in CA if they are not permanently attached maybe like a sub zero fridge.

Ranges / dishwashers and the like are permanent fixtures, there are more in this list and should be listied on the CAR purchase agreement. You can always ask for them to be included in the sale, or during the repair request time period maybe you can ofset a few items on the list for these items instead.
Is the home a foreclosure or are the asellers private owners. Typically private owners will leave the appliances unless it is somehing special and they want to keep it. Sometimes in this situation you can negotiate a deal with the owners. Foreclosed homes depends on the banks and if the appliances are still there, they usually DO go with the home.

Sandra Castillo
I've found it can go either way - almost 50/50.
Great Question Judy,
Well..my personal opinion is that these items are personal property of the seller, so leaving them is one of the negotiation points, however, I must say that every buyer I have worked with in the past two years has expected these items to remain after the sale.
Judy,

There are a number of personal property items that normally transfer to the new owner of a property sale. These items may include but are not limited to: stove, refrigerator, washer, dryer, dishwasher, etc.

Items that the sellers decided not to include in the sale are usually stipulated in the listing information.

Judy,

The MLS usually says wheter a seller has chosen of offer the washer and dryer included in the sale. As for sellers the general rule is is the appliance is unique to the kitchen or area, its adviseable to leave it. Its also a good idea in the lower price points where cash strapped buyers may find value in it.
Web Reference: http://bob2sell.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 5, 2010
Non-affixed items are almost always personal property. Unless it spells it out in the MLS that these appliances are included with the purchase, then these are negotiable.

I don't know why they don't go ahead and include the fridge with the property. Every house I've bought I always ended up buying a new refrigerator specific to the style and space available. when I moved, I didn't want to take the fridge, washer and dryer anyway because it would have been expenseive to move them, and I never know where I would be anyway.

Just negotiate.....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
The best solution is to write it in to the contract (or counter offer) one way or the other. Don't depend on "customary". Years ago my sister sold a home in which they had done custom cabinet work around the refrigerator, so without close examination you would have thought it was a built-in (which would have stayed with the house, like built-in anything). Guess what? The buyer assumed it was a built-in and was surprised it was missing when they arrived. It created problems all out of proportion to writing it in to the contract. And no I was not her agent.

There is a space in the standard-form offer specifically to list "items included" and items excluded". Best to use it for anything like what you're talking about.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
Usually they are included in the sale, but sometimes the seller does want to take them with. When writing an offer you should always ask that they be included with your offer to be on the safe side.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
Only Stove , Microwave and dish washer are customary to be includedin the home sale. Washer , dryer and refrigerator are not custmary to be included.

Heba Rayan
COLDWELL BANKER
Tel.: 925-216-3006
Fax.: 925-208-2933
Email: heba@calfineliving.com
Department of Real Estate
DRE License # 01722870
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010
Hello Judy,

These are all negotiable items. If you want these items when you are purchasing a home, you can have your realtor write up the offer to include these items.

Please feel free to call or email me if you need any further information. :)

Kamal Randhawa
Broker
510-932-1066
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 4, 2010