Home Buying in Trinity>Question Details

Nina,  in Trinity, TX

is it better to have appliances when selling or renting a home.?

Asked by Nina, Trinity, TX Thu Jan 19, 2012

Answers

10
Refrig.'s most properties do not include they typically disappear with the tenant.

Selling property it depends on where you are moving to involving the refrig.

All other appliances stove , dishwasher convey with the property.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 19, 2012
It depends on what's typical/expected in your area.

Where I am (Northern Virginia) you absolutely need to have all the appliances present. A missing stove or refrigerator is like a red flag--like a front tooth missing from a smile. It's not done.

However, in other parts of the country it's expected that the buyer or renter will provide some or all of his/her appliances.

And that's the reason why some of the answers say you need the appliances in, while others say you don't. It's largely a matter of local custom. I don't know about Texas, but I do see that several of the answers from Texas agents suggest that appliances are preferable for selling, but entirely negotiable when renting. So I'd readily defer to their knowledge of Texas practices. Whatever you decide, though, make sure you're clear about what will and won't be provided to the buyer or the tenant.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
No one gets emotionally attached to appliances. Renters may not be able to afford their own and, since their last apartments had them, may come to expect them.

I like Don's answer.
You typically will want them when you rent. Selling is another story. I typically tell my listing clients not to list them as if a buyer wants to include the appliance they will ask for it with their offer. If you are giving it away from the start you get nothing for it essentially. If a buyer asks for it you have an additional bargaining tool for negotiating.

Don Groff
REALTOR® | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
o.512.669.5599 m.512.633.4157
listings@dongroff.com
When renting or selling a home the property should include the basic appliances--usually refrigerators, washers and dryers are included but not always.
Including appliances anytime you sell or rent makes the property more desirable to the majority of the people Nina in my 25 years of experience. Some don't have any, or can't afford them going into a fresh rental or sale. As stated below they must be good working order in order to add some value to a buyer or tenant.

Property/Home warranty may also be a wise investment for you in case anything goes wrong with the appliances, HVAC systems.

Good luck to you,

Rob Hughes-Long and Foster-RE INC.
Yes it is better to include the appliances whether you are selling or renting a home. Also make sure they are all in working condition, & clean inside and out
interesting answers. it must be the local market. Here in Florida, the answer is the opposite of below. For sale, a definate plus, as long as they are clean and in good shape, for rentals, they are almost a requirement. think it would be very difficult to rent without at least a stove, fridge and dishwasher
For selling a home, absolutely! And good appliances at that. For renting, I think you'd have to see what is common in your specific geographic location. Out here in New Jersey good appliances can increase the rent rolls. Not that you have to have a top of the line Sub-Zero refrigerator (though it doesn't hurt) but clean, good quality appliances will go a long way if a tenant is choosing between your rental property and another one. We have a lot of corporate relocation renters out here. They want a home much like one they would consider buying, hardwood floors, granite counter tops, newer cabinetry and, yes, nice newer appliances. AND they are willing to pay a higher rent to get what they want. My suggestion, talk to a local realtor who does a fair amount of rental business and see what they suggest.
For renting a home no but they may ask for a cheap set in the lease, for selling a home most likely yes if you want top dollar out of the property. The number one thing that sells a home is the kitchen! New appliances are a must if you want to maximize your ROI; stainless appliances are hot and in high demand.