Home Buying in Cat Hollow>Question Details

Yortes8, Home Buyer in College Station, TX

is it better to buy a newly built house or older house?

Asked by Yortes8, College Station, TX Mon Aug 1, 2011

Answers

7
Steve Santos’ answer
I agree with the five messages before me. I think the first thing to do is pick an area or school district that you want to be in then compare new vs. 10 year old or new vs. Much older. You will notice that there isn't a lot if homes built between 1984-1994. Most of the listing are really 2000-2011 built. The real question you should ask yourself is what upgrades are worth buying? What would make your house sell faster if you had to sell in 2-3 years. Location should be your first priority. Resale should be your second priority. With a ever growing amount of inventory you don't want to have the wrong upgrades. Life changes and so will your address. I'm available if you want to talk. Steve Santos Realtor Century 21 Beal in College Station.
Web Reference: http://Www.century21bcs.com
Since I assume that you are speaking about purchasing a home in College Station, I can speak directly to the advantages and disadvantages of newer versus older homes in this area. A new home from a quality builder is usually going to have several advantages including not having any foundation issues, carrying a 10-year structural warranty from the builder, carrying manufacturers warranties on the AC and all of the major appliances, not to mention that it will probably be more energy efficient and save you $100/month on average for your utility bill. However, you do usually pay a premium for a new home versus one that has been lived in previously, and if the home has been well-maintained and is in a established neighborhood, you make be able to get more for your money. Let me know if I can help look at both brand new and previously lived in homes to determine which is right for you!
Hi Yortes8,

I totally agree with Mr. Thomas!

You have to consider your market, your reason for buying, your finances.... there is no one right answer.
It will largely depend on YOU!

There are pros and cons to both sides... start by defining what you consider to be "better"

I know a great agent in your local area, if you would like their contact info.. just drop me a line.

Randy P.
Web Reference: http://www.trust2move.com
Yortes,

Each choice has its advantages and disadvantages. As previously pointed out, older homes can have considerable needs it terms of repair and renovation needs while they sometimes offer larger lots and more established vegetation that many buyers find appealing,as well as enjoying the benefit of seelecting your own perfect floor plan and upgrades.

On the other hand, a "brand new" homes brings with it the security of a builder's warranty and peace of mind that you can enjoy a few years before needing to devote time and money to the home's upkeep.

I can see myself being attracted to either option.....with the final choice depending on what home best met my family needs.

Homes built from 2004 on are some of the lowest quality I have ever seen.
There are issues with both, ask anyone who purchased brand new construction and ended up with a 'punch list' of repairs! It really depends on your preference, your budget, and your tolerance for making or paying for repairs and upgrades. Most homes in the US were built before 1990 and are going to require SOME upgrading and repairs, but they may be much less expensive for that reason. You may want to check into an FHA 203K loan where you can both purchase an older home at a good price AND fund the renovations with one loan.
We drive by a beautiful old Victorian or Crafsman house and my wife swoons, "I would love to have that!"

All I can think, is the work every night and weekend for the next five years to make it nice.
We have friends who bought a 100 year old house and have been working for 8 years to make it like-new again. He is doing all the woodwork and it is georgeous!! Railing and turnings hand-turned on a lathe, hardwood floors that he had to remove 1/4" to get below the damage and nails.

I've done both, new and old, enjoy and remodel, and my favorite is; MY FAVORITE!

You gots to do your thing, not mine.