Home Buying in Calallen>Question Details

Joe Kelly, Home Buyer in Kent, WA

is home owners insurance higher than most places in the corpus christi area because of the weather paterns of the region?

Asked by Joe Kelly, Kent, WA Wed Oct 20, 2010

Answers

4
Hi Joe,
Thank you for your question. If your comparing insurance cost from other States to Texas, then you may find the cost if insurance to be higher. This is due to our being in a Coastal area. In the coastal area of Texas many lenders require Windstorm insurance and Flood insurance, in addition to the standard Home owners policy. In other parts of Texas the homeowners policy includes insurance for the roof in the standard policy. The best bet is contact some local insurance agents in Corpus, and your home loan lender to see what insurance is required. Then shop around for the best price.
FYI. The State of Texas handles the Windstorm insurance, so the price will be the same for this insurance. For Flood insurance, you will get a policy from the National Flood Insurance Program. Also rates are set for this insurance. If your home loan lender doesn't require Flood insurance, I would recomend you purchase a policy. We get a lot of rain in the Corpus area. It is a good idea to have the flood insurance just in case we get a lot of rain and your home gets water in it. I hope this helps answer your question. If you need a Realtor to help you find a home, I would enjoy helping you find a great home in the Corpus area. Click on my profile to see my contact information.

Steve
Corpus Chrisiti is a great location in most instances if have home located along any coast line insurance would be higher than a home located 100's of miles away from coast.

Risk factor.

Confer with an insurance agent any all your questions.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Yes our insurance is typically higher due to the different types of insurance poilicies that you muust carry. Home owners insurance is a given with any home you buy regardless of the location. Here is the Coastal Bend you will also have windstorm and flood. The flood is based upon location which a good agent can help you figure out. The flood insurance prices can vary based on carrier and which flood zone the property is actually in. I would say shop your insurance carriers for this area. I personally use farmers insurance on the homeowners and vehicles however All State, Farm Bureau, and USAA will write within one mile of the coast.
If you have any questions, please feel free to visit my website or cal so we can chat. I work with many out of state buyers who are unfamiliar with the homebuying process here in the coastal bend.
Web Reference: http://www.AndiBaker.com
Insurance pricing is regional and is based on many specifics including the probability of floodng, crime stats for the county, credit scores of the applicant, etc.

Coastal regions will typically have higher insurance rates due to the possibility of significant damage to structures in the event a hurricane comes through the area. Not sure what you're considering to be a high premium, but my brother lives on the water and his insurance is several thousand dollars each year, plus an additional premium for flood insurance.
Web Reference: http://www.phgbrokers.com