Home Buying in Fort Myers>Question Details

Jaime Jaunty, Home Buyer in West, TX

is buying into Jamaica Bay a good idea for retirement living?

Asked by Jaime Jaunty, West, TX Tue Feb 12, 2013

not sure whether to buy and condo or mobile home.

Answers

15
Please look up the monthly fees in Jamaica Bay and you will have your answer. When you buy there, you do NOT own the land underneath. This is a great area but it's not the cheapest area of Florida...the farther north you go, the cheaper it gets. Hope this helps!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 12, 2013
What is the monthly fee ? Why is it so hard to find that out ?
Depends on where your lot is. Currently prices range from 756-886 per mo. with yearly increases of 3-5% thru 2018
Flag Tue Mar 15, 2016
I've lived in Jamaica Bay since 1997, first as seasonal resident, and then full time. It is a wonderful place to live. There are so many activities, there is something for everyone. As to sales people lying, they do. I would never buy a place without an inspection of the roof, floors, mold, etc. Just like I would never buy a used car unless it was checked by a mechanic. The people are friendly; you just have to start attending activities, shows, dinners, dances, etc. and you will make plenty of friends. I am very active in the community and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
As to going further north, the weather is a lot worse (hotter in summer, colder in winter) and we have access to everything the Fort Myers area has to offer.
Do not buy in Jamaica Bay. They will promise you the world and then lie to you just to get you to buy.
They lied to me about the roof on my home and told me it was fine when it was leaking. they took no responsability at all and told me i signed the contract and you are stuck. The salesman for jamaica Bay Tom Wyant lied to and other people just to get his commission. So be careful or you might get taken by Jamaica Bay. There are many other parks that are just as nice and more honest. Good Luck
He lied to us also and our roof leaks. Tom Wyant told us the only inspection available was a 4 point inspection..."that's how easy we do it in Florida." Effing LIAR! Previously buyers were referred to Eagle Eye for full home inspections, however, because they did a through inspection, buyers would have to repair what needed to be repaired. Wyant put an end to that because it cost sales and/or lower or lost commissions. We hired Eagle Eye on our own...very reputable and it cost us $275 vs. the $169 for the 4 point inspection. Wyant is nothing but a liar....no wonder he doesn't live here any longer! Aside from Wyant, it's a great place to live...just don't trust him!
Flag Mon Sep 21, 2015
I purchased a home in Jamaica Bay. There salesman told me the roof was fine, so i did not do an inspection. I tried to insure the home but was denied due to the roof leaking and mold in the home.
The salesman Tom Wyant lied to me about the roof just ro get the sale. I trusted him and got screwed. Jamaica Bay took no responsability at all. So buyer be very careful who you trust in Jamaica Bay,Even the manager of the park.
I am thinking of buying a place in Jamaica Bay and was wondering about the monthly "fee". Is it the same for everyone or does it depend on the home? Also, I have a 45 pound trained Standard Poodle, so I want to know if dogs are allowed.

I would like to look at several homes....
We have our own dog park. It's not huge but it's adequate. It has a sidewalk leading to a concrete patio with lots of chairs. All dog sizes are welcome if they are not aggressive. My 7 pounder loves playing with the "big" dogs. We have to bag stations to dispose of waste properly and a faucet to fill the water bowl. We even have our own dog show every year.
Flag Mon Jun 1, 2015
do nov trust anyone that works for Jamaica Bay especially the sale staff.They lie just to get the commission
Flag Tue May 26, 2015
depends on the house. this one is gorgeous! http://jamaicabay.com/index.php?option=com_misterestate&…
Everyone in there seems to love it! Seems like it is a community of its own. Very nice people, down to earth, close to everything....

http://www.houseguy.org/
That would depend on what you are looking for in a home and in your retirement needs? Do you need to be close to shopping, hospital, beaches. There are many options in the Ft. Myers area when it comes to retirement.
You have to ask yourself these and a few more questions before you decide where to place your retirement roots.
If I can help you further please feel free to contact me directly at John@jvanrealestate.com
John
Good Morning Jamie,

I just listed a nice lake view condo in a 55+ community located in south Fort Myers for $74,900. Low HOA fees and lots of amenities. You can view this property on my profile page. If you have any questions about other retirement communities feel free to contact me.

Jason Lipsher

13379 McGregor Blvd Ste 2
Fort Myers, Fl 33919
239.278.0028 office
239.277.1177 fax
239.850.0466 cell
http://www.thecozzateam.com
Hi Jaime

JAMAICA BAY offers a wide selection of new and pre-owned homes. Choose from a variety of floor plans and interior options. Choose a home with two or more bedrooms, two bathrooms, screened lanai or a sunny Florida room, and more. However, it not wnat good for me, it is what is good for you and what are your intereset and what is your comfort zone.

I can help if you want: Drop me an email realtorronW@yahoo.com with phone number and email contact and a little bit what you like along with the best time I can call you.

Remember: “Pictures without ALL the information are never the total picture and always the entire story ~!” Realtor Ron W ..”Pictures being shown, are attention gotcha, use to draw your interest. The rest, the information, will help you decide. Where that information comes from is IMPORTANT to you, and it may not all be on the listing information! Having an agent will get you the missing pieces. Then when you actually view the property; have it inspected where everything begins to fall into place having a pre-approval letter or proof of funds ready done ready for the seller’s hands. Sellers and Banks expect this information, before reviewing yours or any offers. Do not lose out by not having this or a Realtor® that is not the listing agent that serves the seller. Remember, the seller pays the commission!! You Get to choose your Realtor®!”

Thank you Jaime and Best Wishes in your choices.

Ron Wolchesky alias realtor Ron W http://rwolchesky.wordpress.com/
239-209-1923
realtorronw@yahoo.com

enjoy: http://pinterest.com/realtorronw/real-estate-in-southwest-fl…
I didn't understand half of what you just wrote. Don't think I would be using you as an agent.
Flag Sun Mar 13, 2016
Hi Jaime, I have a client that owns a home in Jamaica Bay and loves it. He would consider renting or selling the unit soon. Feel free to conrtact me for more information.
Arthur Janowski
239-823-7745
arthurjanowski@yahoo.com
Amerivest Realty

Have a great day,
Personally, I think a condo is a better value, but many people really enjoy the lifestyle in a park like Jamaica Bay. Also consider whether the park is one where you own the land, or a co-op or where you own the home, but rent the lot.
I have friends in this community and they love the activities and all the friends they've made. Your expenses will probably be about the same either way you go. Insurance may be less expensive in a condo. I would be happy to help you view some great choices for both. By going to the web link below you can have access to the most up to date information available and receive daily reports and keep track of your favorites until you have a chance to come and look in person. This is a big step for you I'm sure and I can help walk you through each step.

Sarah Garrett, Realtor
ALLIANCE REALTY GROUP
"Chosen Best in Client Satisfaction 2006-2012" By Gulfshore Life Magazine
Cell: 239-464-8620, Email: sarahgarrett@argfl.com, Website: http://www.flrealestatebuysell.com
Web Access to Search the MLS:
condo is a better deal.the rents go up every year i n Jamaia Bay
Flag Tue May 26, 2015
Hello Jaime,

Please call me and I can give you some ideas and comparables in that area? My email is pam@krisecg.com.

Pam Wittenauer
239-989-7077
http://www.realtyinswflorida.com