Home Buying in Bellingham>Question Details

Fm, Home Buyer in 01702

is bellingham a really bad town? difficult to re-sell?

Asked by Fm, 01702 Fri Jul 27, 2012

Answers

7
I grew up in Bellingham, MA, and no, it is not a 'bad town'. The main issue with Bellingham has been its phenomenal growth over the years. When I was a little girl, it was very small, and somewhat sparsely populated. The whole area up in the far north section of Bellingham (where Wal-Mart and Market Basket are, where the Movie theater and Chili's are, etc.)., was wooded. People went hiking there in the spring, and sledding in the winter time. Whenever a town grows to triple its population, you're bound to have some issues. People coming in from lots of other places, etc. For the most part though, its still a great place to live and raise your kids. I still have a lot of friends and family who live there, and no one has reported any problems.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 25, 2012
I live here and love the town: I am only selling because I need to get a much smaller home nearer to my work. I
South Bellingham is the worst part. FIND OUT WHY! Research water quailty of whole town. Overall, Bellingham has always been an OK town-it's all relative. You ought to knock on doors and ask questions-people overall love to talk about themselves-so ask if they're happy living there. Beware of brokers who withhold info. GO YOURSELF to Town Hall. Look at the assessors maps (what's around/behind the property you ARE INTERESTED IN) Go to the buiiilding inspectors office and see if permits were pulled. TALK TALK TALK- Continue asking questions-but if a broker is answering them- check up on what you're told-especially with vague answers. Remember it's each man/woman for themselves and you are making one of the biggest investments in your life. Best of luck!
What do you mean South Bellingham is the 'worst'?
Flag Sun Mar 9, 2014
You are very welcome. Any other questions - please feel free to email me directly. Best of luck with your home search!
Thank you both of you for answering

I do not have children ( we are a young couple and are not planning to expand the family anytime soon).

I have people advising me NOT to buy in Bellingham. This will be another stepping stone. The house we are looking is near the RI border... the town info we have looked so far is good ( demographics) but we heard from multiple people that the town has a bad rep...

We are working with an experienced Realtor so I just want as many opinions as I can get on this.
I grew up in Bellingham & graduated from Bellingham High School. I wouldn't say its a "bad town". It is a town that has grew very much over the years. The house prices are good as well as the tax rates. I have a lot of family and friends that still live in Bellingham and do not plan on moving any time soon because they love it there. It is a very long and narrow town with different areas for everyone. Any question you may have I would be more than happy to answer them for you coming for someone who has lived in the town for over 20 years! Feel free to email me @ adam@marealestategroup.com or 508-212-5537!
Flag Thu Jan 3, 2013
Good afternoon,

I have lived in Franklin my entire life, right near Bellingham. I have recently sold a townhouse and a single family home in Bellingham. Both people are thrilled with their homes and neighborhoods. One family has a child in the school system and they have been pleased with the school he attends (South). As with any town, some people may favor a certain section of town, but everyone is different.

For more specific answers, you can always check out police records and if you have children in school, check out http://www.bostonmagazine.com/best-schools-in-boston/index.html

Hope this helps. Are you looking in Bellingham? Feel free to contact me directly at 508-498-1188 or via email at ambercadorette@yahoo.com
Hi Fm,

I don't know where you heard Bellingham is a "bad town" but I love Bellingham. I used to live there and I am an agent. I had to relocate due to my husband's job but have lots of wonderful friends in Bellingham and love all of the development that they have experienced. Let me know if you have specific questions!