Home Buying in Hamilton>Question Details

Sabrina, Home Buyer in Hamilton, NJ

is a 55 home a good investment? plan on keeping 10 years

Asked by Sabrina, Hamilton, NJ Wed Mar 14, 2012

there are so many communties being built and baby boomer population will level off in time. You are limiting your resale market.

Answers

4
Barbara "Babs" Polyak’s answer
Sabrina, I am a Senior real estate specialist. For the past 2 years sales in 55+ communities were rather stagnant however this year has seen an improvement in sales activity and pricing. I live in a 55+ community, at the beginning of this year there were 17 homes on the market in this community, there are presently 2 active listings 1 withdrawn listing the remainder have been sold. A great deal depends upon the particular community and the amenities one desires. It is a rather nice lifestyle. To address your concern regarding resale. I will be attending a seminar next week where such things will be discussed and will be able to give you a more definitive answer at that time. You can either contact me at 609-647-0219 or Email me at Myrealtorbabs@aol.com and leave your contact information if you wish. Regards, Babs

Barbara "Babs" Polyak
Smires & Associates Real Estate
2355 Rt#33 2nd floor
Robbinsville, NJ 08691
609-259-1414
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 14, 2012
Work with a local agent and ask them to update the "time to sell" stats so you can get a current view on how this type of inventory is moving in your area. It will all depend on supply and demand - now in negotiating your purchase and in the future sale.

I'd suggest you also include community settings that meet your criteria and are open to all age groups.

Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service, Unsurpassed Results
Sabrina,
Right now homes in 55+ communities are not reselling as quickly as the sellers would like, but that applies to many categories of housing. No one can predict exactly what the resale value will be in 10 years. On the plus side, the layout, amenities and price value of those homes are superior in many ways to traditional housing. If you are in that age range, consider the total lifestyle package that a 55+ community would offer you, and you may find that this type housing is perfect for you. We have many attractive and varied 55+ communities here in the Hamilton area. You should look at a variety in order to help make your decision. Feel free to call on me to show you some of these homes.
Barbara Kizis, Sales Associate, Weidel Realtors, Hamilton, NJ
Sabrina only you can really answer that question knowing the price and location.
I will share with you a sales fact though. I attended a housijg seminar in October and at that time there was over 5 years of sales inventory of 55+ Yr old community housing avaiable. Meaning that at current purchase levels it was going to take 5 years of sales minimum to eliminate all the available homes under such designation without other homes being added to the MLS.