Home Buying in Tucson>Question Details

Miss B, Home Buyer in Tucson, AZ

in Az. what is a grant deed and how does it differ from a warranty deed?

Asked by Miss B, Tucson, AZ Wed Feb 29, 2012

Answers

5
Great answers. The Grant deed is only a filed document that says the grantor "grants" their interest in the property. A quit claim deed is one of these. A Warranty deed "warrants that I have an interest in the property and I am assigning this to you. I would also advise you to talk to a Title Company for a further explanation. A Good one is Title Security or Old Republic Title. Good luck and if we can help you further, let us know.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 1, 2012
A warranty is a guarantee, and a warranty deed is a deed that guarantees that the title is defect-free.

I could give you a grant deed for the Grand Canyon. Any interest I have in it, I give to you. Only problem - I may not have any interest.

With a warranty deed, I am guaranteeing to you that I have clear title and the ability to transfer ownership to you.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Mar 1, 2012
We don't see simple "grant deeds" much any more. If you are looking at one you need Title insurance and to contact and Escrow company to make sure you are getting a much better deed.
I see you have the general idea & differences between the deeds. I would strongly suggest you find a local agent or Realtor to work with. In AZ, most of the time there will be no cost to you as the buyer if you use a Buyers Agent & property is listed on MLS. You can search profiles on here, sites like Zillow.com or talk with co-workers, friends, and family for a referral. It really will be in your best interest.

If you are not already pre-approved with a lender, that should be done as well. We are entering into the busy season for Tucson Real Estate (between now thru June), wish you the best of luck.
Spirit
Hello Miss B,

This is a great question. A grant deed, sometimes referred to as a Quit Claim deed, does not protect the new owner against encumbrances on the property ( people establishing claim to the property and other title defects). This type of deed is usually used for quick property transfers.

A general warranty deed transfers the property and offers a clean title to the new owner. This general warranty deed allows new owners to sleep at night, keeping unknown relatives of the past seller from knocking at their door claiming ownership to the property.

Diana Kai, Associate Broker
HomeSmart | Kai Associates