Home Buying in Boynton Beach>Question Details

Leemontego, Home Buyer in Boynton Beach, FL

im trying to do a days on market comp search.. how or where can i obtain this information..?

Asked by Leemontego, Boynton Beach, FL Tue May 31, 2011

Answers

8
This is to find distressed homes that aren't selling correct?. Don't listen to these realtors. they know nothing of technology. You need to find a good website that outputs the most options from the MLS service including "Listing Date". The current simplist way is to sort Trulia, Zillow, Realtor.com by "Newest" in the options and then go to the last page and work backwords. "Newest" will show the newest listings first. go to the last page and boomm you found the oldest listing still active on the market.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 31, 2013
Hello-

I think it is great that you are getting out there trying to do some due diligence before you purchase a home; however, I haven't seen a website out there where buyers/sellers can obtain this information on their own. I have seen most websites where they show closed sales are not very accurate, and the only real place to gather closed sales information would be tax records or the MLS. It seems to me since you are posting this questions on trulia, that you are not working with a Realtor that can help you with this information, you must be in the beginning stages of your search? My suggestion to you is to find a realtor that is knowledgeable is the area, and who is trained in short sales and foreclosures that can guide you in the right direction. Days on market won't tell you the real story behind a house, only what the comparables in the area will tell you if the property is a good buy. Please read our profile to find out more information about our team, and let us know if we can further assist you. Happy House Hunting!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 31, 2011
Lee,

It sounds like you are looking for a home in the Boynton Beach area so not sure what you are trying to determine by looking at the days on market as they really are meaningless. You will see properties that are well priced and in good condition sell almost immediately and those listings that are way overpriced as the seller still thinks 2005 pricing is just around the corner sit and sit and sit and sit.

If you are looking to purchase a home the best advice I can give you is to align yourself with a qualified Realtor® who completely understands your goals and is able to notify you immediately when listing s matching your requirements hit the market. The spring buying season has been nothing short of incredible in Palm Beach County with sales at year long highs and inventories at year long lows. Throw in interest rates which are again down so far this week and are already at new 6 month lows and a trend (still seeing if it holds up) or significantly fewer foreclosures and we may have turned the corner.

A few recommendations I would make; I would tell you to not sign a buyer's broker agreement with anyone. This is a form an agent will use to tie you up and ensure any transaction you make will only be through them. Find an agent who is happy to perform their services with the knowledge that if they do not properly meet your expectations they will lose your business. This form could tie you into using a specific agent no matter what you do so be very careful. Second, never call a listing agent about a property they have listed as their initial relationship with the seller will prevent you from working out the best deal. Finally, I would recommend that you interview at least three qualified agents to assist you and select one who you feel will have your best interests as their primary goal. If you go through the proper process you will know you have a great agent who will take very good care of you.

I work almost entirely as a buyers agent throughour Palm Beach and Martin Counties and certainly would be honored to be on the list of Realtors® you interview and am happy to be of assistance in any way that I can. I hope this information is helpful but if you need anything additional please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Always at Your Service,

Tom Priester e-PRO
"Results Driven Real Estate"

561 308-0175
tom@tompriester.com
Web Reference: http://www.tompriester.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 31, 2011
You really need to talk to a local Realtor. You may be able to piece together some of this information from looking at your MLS, but you are probably most interested in closed homes and this is only info that a Realtor will have access to.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue May 31, 2011
Almost TWO YEARS old!!!
I hope Nick is not still bitter; life is too short.
Since days on the market does vary by exact location, pricing, schools, condition, size, etc.; do consider working with an agent of your own, he/she can provide such information and more...
If you would like, I'd be happy to do a Comparative Market Analysis on the property that you are interested in, along with how many days on market, as well.

Thank you

Gary Goldberg, P.A.
From a Realtor.

You seem to be mixing two related but separate items: Comps and days on market.

Days on market is affected by price. Example: Let's say the average comps for a type of property is $100,000. And let's say that the average days on market for those properties was 60 days. OK. That's a start. But you also might want to know: "If I want an offer in 30 days, where should I price my home?" And that answer might be $96,000, $90,000, or some other number. On the other hand, you might ask: "If I price my home at $110,000, do I have a chance of selling at all? If so, how long might it take?"

There are a number of public sites that do list days on market. But matching that information up with properties that have sold recently, and those days on market, is difficult if not impossible. On top of that, the public information won't provide some essential numbers--such as any seller concessions in the transaction.

To come up with solid numbers, you need to be working with a Realtor.
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA