Home Buying in Manning>Question Details

Pwdmommy, Home Seller in Manning, SC

if your selling a home on your own is it fair to ask the price that is listed on your tax estimate? thanks

Asked by Pwdmommy, Manning, SC Fri May 1, 2009

Answers

5
The tax assessor will tell you that their figure is the actual appraised value. However, we find that normally the assessed value is approximately 20% below the actual value. Of course no one goes running up to the tax office to tell them their home is worth more. If I were a seller, I would have my home appraised by a licensed appraiser or ,have a market analysis completed by an experienced real estate agent. Agents have access to all the comparables just like appraisers; Only agents are not as detailed in their report. Normally, a market analysis is all you need in order to put your home on the market. I would also suggest that you use a realtor when selling your home. For Sale By Owners statistically speaking receive more money for their home even after paying a commission to an agent. So, why not let experience work for you!! Call REMAX today.
Web Reference: http://www.pattybwood.net
Your tax estimate has little to no value when it comes to finding out what the true market value of your home is. Homes are normally re-assessed every 5-7 years and rarely reflects the true market value of your home. The best way to find out the market value of your home is to either hire an appraiser which will cost you around $350-$400 or contact an experienced agent in your area. Experienced agents can do a current market analysis of your home by comparing other homes in your area that have recently sold to your home. I would love the opportunity to assist you.
Hello Pwdmommy - I would be very careful of doing that as tax value or appraised value are rarely a true indicator of what the home is worth. In most cased, the value in tax records is less than the actual value. I would recommend consulting with an experienced agent to see what they think the home is worth and then figure our what is best for you. I work in Charleston but do have some contacts in your area and would be happy to pass your info along to one of them. If I can be of help, just email me at rsandin@carolinaone.com or call me at 843-209-9667. Have a great weekend,

Randall Sandin
Carolina One - Charleston Pier Partners
rsandin@carolinaone.com, 843-209-9667
In many cases the amount listed on your taxes and the fair market value for TODAY have very little correlation. If you are going on your own , you need to research the market to see what other homes very similar to your own have sold for recently. This alone will be difficult as you will not have access to obtain that information in an easy manner. The marketing of a home yourself will be limited and spendy. The price that you will be offered will most likely be less than if going through agencies, FSBO gives off the desperate to sell smell. There are forms that are legally required, you need to find out what they are for your state/city.
Web Reference: http://topbrainerdagent.com
It would be difficult to answer your question concerning the "fairness" of placing your home on the market for the tax appraisal. I'm not sure how accurate your tax system is in Manning, SC, but it would be very difficult for the tax folks to be on top of the market trends so that you are asking "market price". If you are really serious about selling your home, you have the option of doing the research yourself and determining what the market will respond to in terms of price and condition OR ask a qualified real estate agent to give you a market analysis to determine the price. Most real estate agents are happy to meet with you, look at your home, and help you determine the right price. They can also show you the benefits of listing with a professional realtor, in terms of exposing your home to the greatest number of prospective buyers, pricing at a price that will maximize your return but not to high to keep you on the market so that your home gets "stale", and negotiating any offers to avoid losing the deal or leaving money on the table, and coordinating the details of inspectoins, closing, disclosures, etc. In my opinion, a tax appraisal is never a good way to determine the price. Best wishes on your experience and please let me know if I can refer a colleague of mine in your area to discuss your goals. Fran Harmon, Bob Parks Realty, Brentwood TN
Web Reference: http://www.FranHarmon.com