Home Buying in Fort Wayne>Question Details

Caseylahr, Home Buyer in Fort Wayne, IN

if we sold our home, and moved directly into this house, what things would be absolutely essential to be able to move in, and what things can we wait

Asked by Caseylahr, Fort Wayne, IN Tue Jul 13, 2010

could we hold off on almost everything, and fix it up over the course of several years...what is the bare minimum in thousands of dollars to move in a family of six. we saw the gutter issue, the leaking issues, the wetness...what are some ball park figures? thanks.

Answers

5
Jeanne Feenick’s answer
Nice offer from the local agent to guide you and put you in touch with resources. I've got access to a company here in NJ that does everything from remodels to punch list items - seems to me you need a "punch list" handyman that can be trusted at a minimum - agents are usually good starting points for resources so I'd take her up on her offer.

On the short list I would insist on - all utilities on and tested - electric, gas (heating source), water, sewer transferred - be sure your basic essentials can be serviced. Also garbage service - township service or privately contracted? if the later, hiring the company that serviced the past owner is probably the easiest thing to do. Generally speaking, get a list of contacts for services the prior owner used, easier to get before you close rather than trying to track it down later. Another things I'd ask, landscaping? snow removal? Aside from that, if there a gutter issue, good idea to take care of that heading into a midwest winter, if you have a water issue - have someone take a look at that so you can rest easy or consider resolution. Another thing is whether the flooring/carpets need clearing - always easier done when there is no furniture to work around.

From a safety perspective, yes, be sure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers in place. In my area, an inspection by the township is required checking for compliance in placement and functionality of all of these things prior to closing - is the responsibility of the owner/landlord - and a requirement prior to close. Check with your agent on this - insist on seeing proof that it was done and if not requried, do it yourself. You can usually more information at the township website. Safety above all else!

Good luck to you,
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 30, 2010
Hi Casey. Feel free to give me a call to chat about this. 260.704.0842
This would best be answered by contacting a home improvement company. Many of them can give you free quotes. I would address wetness issues first as by putting this off, you can get into very expensive repairs, such as termites, molds, dry rot. Secondly, a good warm house so make sure furnace is heating properly. Invest in a carbon monoxide and smoke detectors. Appx. $25.00 for each. Hope this helps a little and good luck to you.
Without many details, not an easy question to answer--simply bring any essentials that will maximize your comfort--what is your agent suggesting--he/she can best advise as it relates to your specific situation.
Hi Caseylahr,

You are asking some questions that need more detail to help you in answering them. For instance, are you moving across town or across country? How many rooms of furniture will you be moving? You might want to call a moving company for an estimate or a "Pods" type company & hire your own movers to load & unload the containers. I've done this a couple of times & found this to save quite a bit of money.

We have no idea of the size of the home you are talking about, could you include a link to the property?

If you are serious about the property, having a good inspector will be very helpful. Are you working wit a Realtor? They will be very helpful as well in directing you to inspectors & handymen to help you.

Ros