Home Buying in Philadelphia>Question Details

mcnealdonna, Home Owner in Philadelphia, PA

if someone brought your house in sheriff sell house you get it back

Asked by mcnealdonna, Philadelphia, PA Fri Dec 27, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:


Not knowing the circumstances the question can't really be answered, therefore it's really in your best
interest to consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate; most professionals do offer a free consultation....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 28, 2013
As Larry said, the answer to this question really depends on the type of sale.

I strongly recommend that you discuss your situation with an attorney. At this point, it seems to be a truly legal matter.

Joshua Stein, ABR®, e-Pro®
Coldwell Banker Preferred – Conshohocken

Office: (610) 828-9558 * Cell: (215) 866-8030
Direct: (484) 270-1165 * Fax: (215) 999-5894
Email: jstein@cbpref.com
Web: http://www.joshuasteinhomes.com
Blog: http://jsteinhomes.wordpress.com/

PA License #RS317975
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 28, 2013
Hi Donna,

If it was sold in a Mortgage Foreclosure Sale, I think you lost all your rights to reclaim the property.

I believe you can only buy the house back if it was sold in a Tax Foreclosure Sale, within one year from the sale date. In order to do so, I believe you would be required to pay all the back taxes and costs that were paid by the Buyer at Sheriff's Sale plus interest from the date of sale until you buy it back. You may also be required to reimburse the Buyer for any repairs he/she has made to the property.

This is a legal question. You should really contact a real estate attorney or Community Legal Services for assistance. Good luck with your pursuit. Have a Happy & Healthy New Year.

All the best,
Larry Lichtman
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 27, 2013
The person who bought the home is the new legal owner.

The only way you could get it back is if the new owner puts it on the market for sale and you are able to qualify to purchase it.

Kawain Payne, Realtor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 13, 2014
Buy it from the new owner.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 29, 2013
Larry is correct you need to contact an attorney But the cost will be more then the house is worth you have Buyers cost, Sellers cost, Property up grades with labor then change of title and recording fees and may I recommend that you do title insurance if possible a good title company may be able to answer some of your questions if you would like a referral to one Please feel free to call me 267-934-1971
Web Reference: http://www.GreatPaRE,com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 29, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer