Home Buying in Newark>Question Details

Sharoncsmith1, Home Buyer in

if i were to purchase a townhouse/condo, first what is the difference, ad second is there a pet policy?

Asked by Sharoncsmith1, Sat May 5, 2012

Answers

4
Ibrahim Hughes’ answer
Hi. The primary difference is that with a 'stand alone' house like a ranch, colonial, victorian etc you own the house, the land and everything in between (including the airspace - down to the plumbing). With a townhouse/condo (both referred to as 'condominums' in legal terms you own the 4 walls and everything in between. With the rest of the property you are in a sort of a 'co-op' situation where you share ownership with the other condo owners. There are also other issues/concerns to take note of when buying a condo vs house such as HOA (home owner association) fees and condo rules. There are more details involved but those are the primary differences in my professional opinion.

And condominium complexes do differ in pet policies. Society Hill in Newark does allow pets while the Pointe in Union (if I'm not mistaken) does not.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
Technically there is a difference between a townhouse and a condo. A townhouse is a type of dwelling, it has multiple floors, private entrance, can be detached or attached to other townhouse. A condo is a type of ownership. Many of the townhouses in urban areas are built as condos. That is were the confusion comes in.

The pet policy is set by the condo association. Any questions should directed to them.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
Good answers and nice clarification Ibrahim...and garry

so many people (and even agents, too) get confused and think a "condo" is simply an apartment styled unit in a highrise.......they don't understand it is a form of ownership........and can be a townhome styled building, or an apt. styled unit....etc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012
From a mortgage perspective there is no difference. If you plan on going with a FHA loan for your purchase make sure the condo is on their approved list which can be found here -> https://entp.hud.gov/idapp/html/condlook.cfm

When it comes time to obtain pre-approval please give me a call as I do work with 30+ lenders which allows me to ensure the best loan program is chosen.

Paul Marzolla
pmarzolla@unvmortgage.com
(201) 203-2266
(551) 486-0243
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 5, 2012