Rashon, Home Buyer in Somerville, MA

if i go to a open house without my buyers broker, will he still be paid a commission fron the other company

Asked by Rashon, Somerville, MA Sat Feb 9, 2008

Answers

10
All good answers - at the end of the day, there is no "standard" response or plan of action. The reason why agents will put "agent must accompany buyer to receive commission" in MLS is in order to make sure the issue of procuring cause is clearly defined within the relationship of all parties. If you have a buyer agent, you should make sure you call him/her and ask their opinion before you go to a property without them - give them the opportunity to protect their ability to preserve the procuring cause portion that is relative to being paid. Of course, this really only applies to a buyer agent who is being paid from the commission on the property - which is 95% of the time in MA - and not to the original intent of buyer agency, which clearly defined that the buyer themselves paid their agent.

James Norton
ERA The Norton Group
Somerville MA
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 4, 2008
I've been a buyer's broker since 1991.
When you walk in, tell the agent that you are working with a buyer's broker. If the agent makes a fuss about the commission, walk out.
Call you agent. He or she can make an appointment for you at a time most inconvenient to the listing broker.
If his/her mother never taught him/her to share, you are not going to. There is no point in confrontation.
Tell your broker that you are going also.

As a buyer broker myself, I've always felt most comfortable emailing the listing broker to tell them that I am sending over a buyer of mine. That way it is documented in writing that I have a relationship with the buyer. If the other broker makes a big deal out of it, tell them that I won't send my buyer, and will set up another time to come look at the house. The listing broker would probably always just rather have the buyer come to the open house, as it saves them an extra trip to come meet you at another time.
I would definitely check with your agent. In my area - we honor if a buyer comes to an open and states that they are working with another agent - usually they will either hand me their agent's card and/or sign in and write their agent's name down next to their name. When I am representing the buyer - I always tell all my buyers to give my name when signing in or hand the other agent my card but every area may have different rules and that's why we are recommending you speak directly to your agent about this so it doesn't become a problem in the long run. Good luck!!

Gina Chirico
GinaChirico@PruNewJersey.com
I agree that you should run it by your Buyer's Agent first. However, the only time I have ever had trouble with a buyer of mine going out on their own is when they went to a NEW home builder. Most NEW home builders clearly state that the agent must attend on the first (and sometimes all) visit. The sales reps also try to get people to "sign-in" so that they can get your name and contact info without your agent present. I have never once heard of a fellow realtor in our area try to "cut out" the buyer's agent because they did not attend the open house with the clients. The best advice is that if you go in alone and the listing agent is pressuring you, tell them that you already have an agent and don't give them your contact info.
Your agent should call the listing agent and ask them.
ask your buyer agent how he would like to handle it.
Make sure you checkwith your agent. Some open houses state in MLS that buyers agents must attend 1st showing.
As long as you inform an agent at the open house that you are already working with an agent yes. Let your agent know you'll be going to that open house as well.
Tell him you're going in advance and sign in with his name - that is the proper etiquette. He may know something you don't - is another reason to do this.
Web Reference: http://www.provestre.com