Bil28, Home Buyer in 49548

if i buy a house that last sold for $170,000 and has an assessed value of $84,000 and for only $60,000 will my taxes drop?

Asked by Bil28, 49548 Tue Dec 6, 2011

Answers

5
Good morning,

This is a very popular question. As you can see we all say you can fight it and ask for a reduction. However they will not use your sales price as an evaluation - as this is called shopping and they will not shop your SEV. I do want you to think of something - if this home is a starter home and you plan to move with in the next 5 years - what do you want your SEV to show? Many buyers will look at the SEV to give them "value". We as agents will show comps ( recent sales) which is the best way, but as much as I do this I still have buyers bringing me the SEV. I have had many sellers sorry they reduced as it i did not make that much difference in what they were paying annually and then had a hard time selling for the price they wanted because of the SEV, so be careful for what you ask for.
Your zip code shows 49548 which would suggest Wyoming area. Here is a paste and copy form their website:

Review of Sales

Annually, our appraisers review all Sales in a "study year" that spans from April 1st of one year through March 31st of the following year. Sales are divided into various categories:

Good Sales

Good Sales are considered sales that reflect usual "arms length transactions" and reflect "market value".

Bad Sales

Bad Sales are considered sales that do not reflect usual "arms length transactions" and do not reflect "market value".

Once the "good sales" have been established they are grouped and used to review the various neighborhoods and their relationship to our assessments.

We have many (70+) Economic Areas or neighborhoods to allow the appraisers to focus on smaller segments of the 25,000+ properties in the City of Wyoming. These smaller Economic Areas generally reflect uniform property type groupings. Many of these areas have been created around certain historical years of development, plats, physical geography, school districts, use types or a consideration of all of these elements and other similar items. These EA's allow the appraisers to review the assessment level in each area and decide if that area needs immediate reappraisal work.

Occasionally the number of "good sales" available for any one EA is insufficient for analysis. When this occurs the appraiser may blend in the sales from a nearby EA of similar type properties, thereby creating a statistically significant sample for a study.

Periodically, reappraisals of existing neighborhoods are done to maintain uniformity of assessments at 50% of value. Appraisals are completed using a computerized 'Cost Approach' to value. The values provided by this approach embody the market level of each neighborhood, as measured by its Economic Condition Factor (ECF). The ECF is calculated from good sales in the neighborhood being appraised. When a property's assessment is appealed we review our appraisals with the 'Market Approach' to value. This approach involves direct comparison of the property under review to several of the most similar properties which have sold recently. Whatever approach is used, half of the resulting appraised value is used for the assessment. The amount of the taxable value (which can never exceed the assessed value) will be dependent on the Consumers Price Index (CPI) since the last sale of a property.
http://www.wyomingmi.gov/Assessor/reviewsale.asp
Good luck in your decision.
I agree with much of what was said below. If this is an upcoming closing, you can certainly take the appraisal to the March board of review, as that "should" carry weight ... but at the end of the day, they have all the power to decide what happens.
Your taxes are based on an average arms length transaction in the area and if you think your taxes are too high after you buy a home, you can Appel them with the assessor. Just remember Almost all do not use bank owned homes as comps and will not see things your way if you give them banks owned sales. Call me and I can help you more
Mike childress
Web Reference: http://Www.chilhomes.com
Not necessarily. You will have to appeal you assessment when you get your new assessment next year. There is no guarantee they will change the taxable value, as it really has nothing to do with the purchase price of the property, but it can sometimes help to have a Realtor give you a free Comparative Market Analysis that can help your case. If you would like some help with this, feel free to contact me. I hope this helps!

To answer your question, your taxes will not drop to reflect the $60,000.00 price that you paid. The new SEV will reflect the taxable amount. That amount is distinguished by other comparable homes in your area and not so much by what was paid for the home.

You can always go to City Hall and meet with the assessing office next spring and try to get a reduction in the taxes. Be prepared with comparables and any other helpful information.

Let me know if you need more of an explanation.

HAIG
Elias Realty
(248) 379-6547
realtorhaig@aol.com