Maria Cameron, Renter in Salem, AL

if i buy a home with asbestos siding is it dangerous? a lot of homes ive looked at have asbestos siding in our price range.

Asked by Maria Cameron, Salem, AL Fri Apr 1, 2011

asbestos siding

Answers

21
See link for helpful information...
http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/pubs/ashome.html
When we install vinyl, we never remove asbestos - put backer insulation and then nail on vinyl. You can paint asbestos, but then what do you do with old peeling /chipping paint?

Basically, if you don't plan to change the siding or if you are ok with putting vinyl on at some time down the road, you are safe. Unless you touch asbestos - it is safe. These site has some info about asbestos and installing vinyl over it
Old asbestos pipe insulation, usually found in older schools and old petro-chemical plants would deteriorate and the fine asbestos fibers will become airborne when disturbed. This is the type of asbestos one has to be aware of.
Many old buildings have flooring made with asbestos and the only time this would be an issue would be when the fllooring was taken up, the asbestos siding on my house is 60 years old and in perfect shape. This siding is only dangerous when it is cut with a dry power saw, or crushed into small pieces. If you have the house painted, be careful not to sand or scrape into the asbestos especially when using power tools. If some of the siding gets broken, it is simple to remove the boken piece and replace it with the new composite product that looks exactly like asbestos when painted. I have never seen the siding decompose......
Marvin Jones
That is really relieving to know that it's not really dangerous if it is in your siding. My wife and I have been thinking about getting our asbestos completely removed from the siding in our house. This gives us more time to make our decision now that we know that it's not such a health hazard. http://www.classicremodeling-nj.com
Flag Thu Oct 23, 2014
What is the new composite product called? Where can you purchase it?
Flag Tue Apr 22, 2014
Asbestos siding is probably the best siding ever invented. After 50 years most asbestos siding looks brand new! Best advice? Just leave it alone....or side over it.

Yes, I know this is an old question.
Asbestos is a health risk if it is "friable" - meaning cracked, decomposing, etc. and you are exposed to breathing the fibers or dust that may break off and float in the air. If it is not cracked and is properly sealed, painted, etc. then it is a non-issue.

My wife and I live in a beautiful house with asbestos siding. We also have a 3 year old. It is well-painted and has some useful properties. It is a decent insulator - better than most vinyl - and it also probably saved our house when our neighbor's place caught fire next door.

It is very expensive to have it removed by a licensed professional.You can put vinyl siding over top of it, though I've heard mixed perspectives on that. Interior asbestos is a much bigger health concern than exterior asbestos. Still, my understanding is that most cases of asbestos-related lung cancer affect people who've worked with around it on a daily basis - people involved in concrete manufacturing, mining, and other industries, where you have lots of dust floating around in enclosed spaces.
People where I live at just put vinly siding on top of it. I would never do this as this is plain dump. I as a homeowner can remove it myself and pay 500 for someone to pick it up for me, this is what I would do. I would never take away from an old home, I would just paint it a really, really awsome colour. and as far as it being dangerous, do you know that baby powder is a relative of asbestos, thus baby powder made from talc is far worse (you can buy baby pwder made from corn starch
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 5, 2011
I know this is an old post, but you could remove it yourself...........but you'd be fined a lot more than cost of paying someone to remove it. You better believe it that when they see construction on a house they will check for permits and sock it to you
Flag Wed Apr 9, 2014
The danger level is dependent upon the condition of the asbestos, friable vs. non-friable. Non-friable is often referred to as safe asbestos and friable is referred to as dangerous asbestos. This condition may vary over time, thus you should have a plan of action for when the asbestos becomes friable.

The internet may be easy to search, yet be sure to check local regulations in 01970. Feel free to contact us if you have more concerns.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Apr 2, 2011
If you are finding that most of the homes you like or that are within your price range have asbestos siding your best approach would be to minimize the risks that are inherent with the product. Check the link provided by Anna and become familiar with the potential dangers, but also consider a solution. Asbestos siding is paintable. A possible solution would be to utilize a painting contractor in your area that is applying a "vinyl-esque" finish that is really a super thick coat of paint with some additives that help to seal the home. In my area, the product/company is called Rhino-Shield. It is supposed to be a lifetime paint solution on exterior homes. But, it will also encapsulate the asbestos and prohibit the dangerous particles from becoming an airborne threat. Have your Realtor get an idea on pricing so you can weigh your options within an offer and negotiate accordingly.

For every problem, there is a solution.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 1, 2011
Maria,
The problem with most of us answering this is we are not experts in Hazardous Materials. If I answer now, only to have new information come out tomorrow conflicting with that information you may hold me responsible for bad information.
One thought, if there is asbestos in the siding, there may well be asbestos in other sites as well such as old flooring, heating or plumbing systems.
My advice on these subjects is to become fully informed from the most reliable sources. While I've heard what others have said, about disturbing asbestos, I encourage you to research the subject from the EPA and other government agencies who claim expertise on this we as agents don't have. Best of luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 1, 2011
Agreed - research with experts just to be safe!!
Flag Wed Sep 17, 2014
Asbestos is dangerous when it is disturbed and the small particles are breathed into the lungs. Left alone, as I understand it, there is no worry. Asbestos was very common prior to 1980's and with the siding on homes built in the early 1900's. Google asbestos for suggestions on what to do with it. Your local community may have rules as to how to handle it if you are to remove it.

All the best to you.
Web Reference: http://terrivellios.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 1, 2011
Any time that asbestos is involved I would recommend replacing everything. I think it's best to start from scratch and have everything brand new put in. It might cost more than you want in the moment but it will pay off in the long run. http://idealnh.com/?page_id=21
You can purchase one and not expect any problems. Asbestos only become dangerous once you mess with it. If you do decide to do anything with your siding, I would recommend getting professional services to do the work for you. Warn them that the siding is asbestos.

Claire Reynolds || http://www.weatherteknj.com/Handyman-Services-Dunellen-NJ.html
A lot of homes still have asbestos siding. Asbestos is okay until it starts to flake or become air-borne in some way. Once that starts happening then it's very important that you get asbestos removal. Asbestos can be very harmful if it isn't taken care of properly.
Web Reference: http://www.aplusbs.com.au
Asbestos can be safe as long as it is not airborne, so don't agitate it. Many time encapsulating is much cheaper than mitigation. Ask a local professional for a free quote during your inspection period to lessen your risk.
The danger of asbestos depends a lot on the quality of the siding. If it is getting old then it is much more dangerous. Only when it cracks does the asbestos become dangerous to health.
I would consult with your local board of health and then hire a reputable asbestos remediation consultant to arrive at possible solutions. Many older homes contain some asbestos, do not let this deter you from purchasing the home of your dreams, however, do your homework and learn the best possible solution.
This is a better resource for this specific type of question.

http://www.asbestossiding.org/
Yes I am looking to buy an older house. Nice except it has asbestos siding. App 1200sq feet to be removed. Could you tell app. cost of removal and proper disposal fees?
I HAVE JOINTLY INHERITED A HOME WHICH WAS BUILT 1945-46, AND FROM PHOTOS OF
SIDING, I BELIEVE THE ORIGINAL SIDING WAS ASBESTOS. IN THE 1980S, MY PARENTS
HIRED A COMPANY TO INSTALL VINYL ? SIDING ON TOP OF THE OLD ASBESTOS LAYER.

THIS HOME IS IN POOR CONDITION WITH THE NEW SIDING BEING THE MOST ATTRACTIVE
PART OF THE HOME. ALSO, THE ROOF NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED ! COST OF TEARING
DOWN THIS HOME WILL BE MORE EXPENSIVE, DUE TO ASBESTOS CONTENT. MY
PARENTS LIVED TO BE 80 AND 90 WITHOUT BEING AFFECTED BY ASBESTOS. IF YOUR HOME IS IN GOOD REPAIR/WITH NO INTERIOR DAMAGE OR LEAKY ROOF DAMAGE AS WE HAVE IN OUR OLD, INHERITED HOME, I WOULD ADVISE ENCASING THE HOME WITH A GOOD TYPE OF SIDING THAT WILL LAST FOR MANY YEARS.

JENNY/HOMEOWNER, CARROLL CO., VA
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 13, 2013
I am looking at a house that has asbestos siding. It is in my price range. I am very concerned about this situation. I have Multiple Sclerosis. I am wondering how this might affect my health, being I already have a chronic illness? I am going to look at this house tomorrow, May 16, 2013. Could somebody please advise me? I may just look at the house a find things I don't like about this house, besides the obvious. Please help me.
As I understand it, as long as its not disturbed, the siding is OK and won't be a hazard. If you decide that you'd like to do something with it you may need to hire a licensed haz-mat company to remove it. Asbestos is harmful when air-born so people dealing with it must wear protective gear and the shingles will need to be bagged and disposed of following federal guidelines. It may be possible to simply cover it up with new siding. You can find more info at: http://www.lni.wa.gov/tradeslicensing/licensingreq/asbestos/…