Home Buying in Anaheim>Question Details

Merry amir , Home Buyer in Santa Clarita, CA

if i build 2000sq to my 1350sq home in Anaheim 92805. does it increase value of my home? will i be able to sale my home according to its value?

Asked by Merry amir , Santa Clarita, CA Mon Mar 10, 2014

The resulting total conditioned square feet will be 3,350. If this size exceeds community norms by 20% it will make it more difficult to sell using a linear price S/F model. You will need to apply the inversion of 0.09 for every 100 SF in excess of comparable.

The largest, most expensive home in the community is always hardest to sell UNLESS there is a real value adding element that compel buyers to ignore the 'investment' potential of the home. Big water views, 18th hole, near Disney or white sand beaches and my favorite, dolphin or manatee sighting from the back yard retaining wall.

The best investment to make in a home, whether it is expansion or a pool, is the one you and those important to you can thoroughly enjoy. That could be the only ROI one should expect.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Mar 10, 2014
I need advice because i need room for my children but at the same time I need to add SQ in current home so I can build second unit because i have 9800SQ lot and corner and R2 zone i already ask city. If current home is 3000 than I am allow to build second unit 1500.
Flag Mon Mar 10, 2014
If its in a good area, adding a second unit will increase values dramatically. I do a lot of work in the area, and have a few unique and proprietary ideas. Please contact me if interested in gong into a whole new marketplace. Using this idea, I recently found and seller and buyer within 1 day, closed escrow in 18 days, and they are now my good clients forever.
Haas Khaku
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 6, 2014
Adding square footage should increase the value of your home. And yes, you can sell your home according to its value. It sounds like you are increasing the size considerably and your question should be whether you are over-improving for the area or are there other homes nearby with similar square footage? You want to be sure your improvements increase the value of your home to the most benefit for you. Let me know if I can help you further.
I would like to see comparable sales in the area to compare and see how much value it will add prior to quoting on the value increase. Please give me a call. I am here locally and will be able to do a brief analysis with a little more information. please reach out rachaeldsegui@gmail.com
I have read through the answers, and your responses, and I would happy to set up a time to meet with you and review your options. There are advantages and disadvantages to both scenarios, and only through gathering all the right information, can you make the right decision.

As others have stated, you want to be careful about over-improving for the neighborhood by building too big of a house. A duplex is a great idea, if you want the residual income from a rental.

Please contact me directly, so we can set up a meeting for me to come out and look at the property. I can show you all the reports, market analysis, as well as rental market analysis.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Nicole Fedorchek, Realtor
Tarbell, Realtors
ALway wise to ask questions. The question is: What is going on in your neighborhood...Overbuilding will not reap the rewards you desire...SO generally you don't want the biggest fanciest house on the street when it comes to resale. If others are upgrading and adding on then it may work well for you.
Next question: How long do you plan to stay in the home before moving on? Or are you thinking of adding on to increase the value and hope to achieve a bigger reward.
It would be a good idea to talk to a realtor who can tell you what your market is doing, how homes are selling in your neighborhood and what benefit would best suit your particular situation.
Then you want to find a licensed contractor and brainstorm the best possible scenario to achieve your dream.
Happy to help you if you need some more info.
Valerie O'Brien
Keller Williams Newport Estates
Tel: 949-478-2892

Secret List of Unlisted Bank Owned, Short Sale, and other Discounted Properties throughout the Orange County area. Most of these homes are not listed on the open market with or available through any online searches. Gain free access below. http://secretocforeclosures.weebly.com/
I want to sale but waiting for value increase and want to know should I build second unit or just add sq to current home. according to city I can build second unit.
Flag Mon Mar 10, 2014
I have R2 zone big lot corner lot i can build second unit if i build second unit instant current addition What is your professional opinion by sale point.
Hi Samir,
If you can send me some more details about the property, I'd be happy to do an evaluation of its current value plus what it may be worth with an additional 2000sf property on the lot.

My contact info is below. Please get in touch at your earliest convenience.

Joe Van Fossen
(714) 584-7154
Flag Mon Mar 10, 2014
Hi Samir,

Great advice from Annette. From a lender's standpoint, it is assumed that a house that is overbuilt for the neighborhood will take longer to sell. Also, if there are no comparable sales to support the value, they will ask the appraiser to make appropriate adjustments.

Elva A. Wormley
Mortgage Consultant
Office (408) 615-8500
C2 Financial Corporation
2845 Moorpark Avenue, Suite 209
San Jose, CA 95128
NMLS #331981 / BRE #01274093
Of course it will increase the value. Just as long as it is permitted. Just send me an email if you have any further questions.

Alex Greer
Loan Officer