Home Buying in New Orleans>Question Details

Vanessa, Home Buyer in 10031

if a 2 story house has water damage in the ceiling on the 1st floor, where could the water be coming from?

Asked by Vanessa, 10031 Sun Jan 11, 2009

Answers

6
It can be hard since water sometimes travels along rafters and studs. I've seen it go several feet from point of entry to point of discharge. But it may be very simple to locate so I would find a reputable contractor to take a look at it.
Hi. Thanks. I don't have the disclosure on it. It's an old house owned by a bank.

If water is not coming in from leaky pipes, but rather siding or a wall stud, is that very difficult for a contractor to locate?
Then the leak could possibly be coming from roof or attic by traveling down a wall stud. Or if it's against or near an outside wall then it may be coming from a leak in the siding. Also, do you know if the owner has done a disclosure on the property?
Thanks. I don't have a picture, but the stain was on the ceiling of the 1st floor at the corner of the room. The room wasn't under a bathroom or kitchen.
It depends what's up there....
1) A water supply line leaking from above bathroom or kitchen
2) The sewer line above leaking
3) The dishwasher leaking from the above kitchen, etc.
4) If along the outside wall, it could be water leaking in at the roof, or through the window.

Email me a pic if you need more help and the exact location of the leak on the ceiling.
Web Reference: http://iansellsnola.com
It almost always comes from an upstairs bathroom leak.