Home Buying in Brockton>Question Details

Liz, Home Buyer in Brockton, MA

if a house is under agreement can you still put in an offer?

Asked by Liz, Brockton, MA Wed May 27, 2009

There is this house I really love and it is under agreement. Would I be able to put in an offer if there is already one in play? If not how long do I have to actually wait before I can as long as it's not sold? Thanks

Answers

6
Liz

The sellers may be accepting back up offers. Are you working with a buyers agent? If so I would have your buyers agent give the listing agent a call to find out the status of the property.

Let me know if you have any other questions!
Kathy
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 27, 2009
It would be a good idea to submit a back up offer on the property if you are interested. A lot of buyers are having trouble obtaining commitment letters. The list agent will follow up with you immediately if the current buyer is unable to get the loan. If you have any other questions feel free to contact me. Thanks

Jason Hargrove,Realtor
Success! Real Estate and Mortgages
Office: 781-848-9064 Direct Cell: 508-527-3523
Fax1: 781-848-9975 Fax2: 508-584-7161
http://www.SuccessRealEstate.com / http://www.JHargroveSellsHomes.com
Yes, But it must be a backup offer, you would have to hope and pray that the other Buyers decide not to go through with it or do not get the proper financing....
Sometimes you can submit back up offers but I highly recommend you dont because if the property comes back on the market for sale you want the opportunity to negotiate a discount based on the value of the property at that time instead of locking yourself into a number and allowing the sellers agent to use your back up offer to get competitive offers.
Liz,

a lot of the time they do take back up offers since deals may fall apart due to a variety of things (i.e. home insp., financing....) if you are not working with an buyers agent and would like to make an offer please contact me.

Wayne
century21ma@yahoo.com
617-290-4272
Liz - States have different rules, but usually you can put an offer in on any property up until the day it closes. The selling agent's duty is to present all offers to the seller. Particularly in this market when many homes that were under contract come back on the market for various reasons, it certainly won't hurt to put a back-up offer in.