Home Buying in Waltham>Question Details

Lak, Other/Just Looking in Massachusetts

i would like to buy a house within a year in MA. Does anyone have an suggestions on how to get started?

Asked by Lak, Massachusetts Tue Nov 4, 2008

Answers

4
Annette Reynolds’ answer
If you are a first time homebuyer, you may wish to take a certified first time homebuyer's class. I've had folks tell me that people who take such a course are very engaged in the process and are great to work with. You can find out more by calling the Waltham Alliance to Create Housing (WATCH). They will be offering 3 more courses over the next year. Their telephoen number is 781 891 6689.

The advice given by others regarding mortgages is excellent. You might also ask a Realtor to send you regular e-mails with listings that meet your general requirements. These will give you a good idea of values. Open houses will give you a good flavor of what's going on in the housing market in Waltham as well.

Annette
I think the most important thing to do is to talk to a mortgage person and start working the numbers. The programs are ever changing, so I think its always good to make sure you prepare and see where you stand. I have a wonderful mortgage guy who has never let me down if you would like his contact information. After getting pre-approved and talking to him about your financial situation, its best to start researching the areas or towns that you think you are interested in. I am a life Mass resident, so I know the area very well. This way, you can narrow in on some areas that you are focused in and learn more about them, their schools, taxes, etc. If you need any help with this, please let me know. Good Luck!
Hey Scott, I service the Greater Boston area so would be able to service your real estate needs. Feel free to get in touch with me so that I can get a sense of it is what you need. Thanks in advance, Jon
Web Reference: http://www.bowenboston.com
If you are a year out you are a little early, however you would first sit down with a local and trusted mortgage broker, they can pre approve you for a mortgage, they will tell you what price rang you should look in, how much you will need for a down payment and closing costs and what your monthly paymenjt will be. Your next step is interview a buyer broker than can assist you in finding houses to drive by and get inside to see. in most cases you can negotiate with a buyer broker so that it does not costs you jmanything out of pocket as the buyer agent gets paid at closing from the listing broker the fee offered in MLs. This way you have someone looking out for you. good luck with your purchase.
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com