ERT11, Other/Just Looking in 30080

i want to know the thoughts todayDoes anyone know about the sub division 'Park at Vinings'? How is the crime off that area? Is it a good?

Asked by ERT11, 30080 Tue Nov 1, 2011

location crime off that area? Is it a good location overall? Any advice appreciated please....We are interested in a home there...

Answers

6
As far as The Park, I assume you mean The Park near West Village and not the one off Spring Hill Pkwy. I know some homeowners in there, and they love it. The mention of distressed properties. Huh? Smyrna has an extreme shortage of homes available and prices are skyrocketing and though this is unincorporated Smyrna, it's still following that trend (in fact, the Atlanta Rd corridor is hot right now). So, obviously a lot has changed since 2011.

I live nearby, right across S. Cobb Drive, and love it. The Park is convenient, walkable to West Village, and also has a historic preserved site in the subdivision, which is kind of cool, along with Riverline Historic Area members. If you're lucky, and the state and CSX can agree, then it's remotely possible that the CSX line may be bought up to connect the Silver Comet Trail to West Village. Negotiations are being revived on that front at this very moment, since the last attempt in 2007, but it's being kept hush-hush until some results come out of it. There are good indications due to the changeover of Plant Atkinson to natural gas instead of coal and the pave over of Oakdale Rd's crossing that CSX may not need that part of their line anymore.

Crime? It's one of the lowest crime areas of Smyrna. Yes, it is convenient to the freeways and there are transients that come and go looking for easy things like unlocked car doors to snatch items. Just be smart, and don't leave your car doors unlocked or garage open overnight and you are fine. Usually, thieves that make a habit of it get caught pretty quickly. However, as far as safety goes, it's one of the safest areas in the metro.

The school there is Nickajack, and is a good school.

If you are looking for something more tucked away, suburban and exclusive, then go to subdivisions off the East-West connector. If you are looking for a healthy, walkable area and still a great place to raise kids, then The Park may be it.
My daughter is at Nickajack after preschool and started ahead of the class and they've been able to keep her ahead of her grade. Re the other person's comment about the schools. Unlike Roswell and East Cobb, Smyrna is a real city with real diversity. There are both good and mediocre schools in Smyrna depending on where you look. Anyway, I would look into it for yourself since Smyrna is actually above average for the state and half the schools are better than Buckhead public schools, and I wouldn't rely too much on test scores since there are small pockets of low-income apartments scattered about that throw off scores. Instead, talk to parents with your demographics first hand, and find out how their kids are doing, and how THEY are testing.Affordable neighborhoods aside, Smyrna is getting more wealthy, and more wealthy parents are sending their children to public schools, and that can be reflected in how the non-disadvantaged students perform in schools. And that's why you have to do some research and not listen to uninformed people, since they don't have the diversity in areas like East Cobb and Roswell that we do in Smyrna.
For High School, Campbell, is one of the best in Cobb, nationally ranked, and has an IB program. For elementary, Russell, Nickajack, Kings Spring and Teasley are all very good. The middle schools are about average for Cobb and getting better. The elementary schools are about average for Cobb. So that skews test scores, but you get a good education. Brown was very good but closed down due to cost of upkeep since it was one of the oldest schools in Cobb County and now the new Smyrna Elementary is where those students would be, and I assume it will be about as good as Brown but we will have to see. Kings Springs is the best in Smyrna, based on test scores though I wouldn't read too much into test scores for reasons I mentioned above. Kings Springs is smaller so it is better equipped to handle disadvantaged students.
I have several friends who have lived there for years and have raised their kids there. It is a good looking neighborhood and you can get a nice house for a great price. I would suggest taking a look at all the inventory in the area you want to be in and take your time and get to know the area a little. I have lived in the area for 11 years and love the location. As far as crime information I would contact the Smyrna Police Department to get those statistics.

Mike Price
Michael Price & Associates LLC
Keller Williams Cityside
Office: (770) 874-6251
Direct: (678) 559-7826 / Fax: (678) 317-9086
Email: michaelprice1@gmail.com
http://www.pricesellsatlanta.com
http://www.pricesellsatlanta.listingbook.com
The general Smyrna and Vinings has been and still is very popular for certain buyers due the ease of access to I-285, the Atlanta Airport, and downtown Atlanta/Buckhead. There are many good eateries and pubs that sprang up as a result of the building boom of the 1990's and early 2000's. The main detraction of the entire area (for families with children and who can't afford private schools) is the public schools are not that great. For more info on schools see http://www.thehomebuyersrep.com_school_reports.com for actual state reports. I do not recommend generic sites some realtors like to suggest such as "Great schools dot com" because they seem to sugarcoat things and not give a real picture in my experience.

As for this particular circa 2000 Pulte homes development, it is not in a very good section of Smyrna as it borders an old industrial/commercial area. Worse, the farther east you go, the more crime you will encounter due to the low income demographic which is always the main driver of crime. The $170 Assoc fee covers a lot of services we all have to pay as home owners and is not actually as exorbitant as it may look at first glance.
Having said all that, this is not the place I would recommend if I were representing you as clients - you can do better. This value trends in this developement going forward will not perform as well as other better options.

As for crime, you should call the Cobb/Smyrna police and I also suggest you visit http://www.MyLocalCrime.com - it shows types of crime by zip and area and refreshes the map as you scroll the map. The FBI has a really good crime stat site but I forget the link, and it is not easy to find.

Let me know if I can help you.

Robert Whitfield
Broker/Owner - Realtor
Professional Buyers Broker
Relocation Expert
New Home Construction Expert
ICC Code Certified Building Inspection Expert
Advantage Realtors
678-585-9691
877-787-7167
“Luxury Homes, Investments, Property Management & Rehab… Incomparable Client Representation & Due-Diligence”
As a Smyrna Realtor Iam very familiar with this area. Crime anywhere close to a Freeway is high. In this case the other item against this subdivision is value as well as HOA. The HOA fees are 170 per month which is very high as well as this is not the best value for Smyrna. I would go outside the 285 and closer to Market Village. The are many areas that are safer and of a better value. As you know Smyrna is a very Vogue place to buy and live because of location to all of the Atl area. REO and distressed homes are everywhere. East Cobb,Buckhead,Midtown etc. That is the market. and as a buyer it is one to take advantage of also. You may contact me one my site if needed for maore info
Crime stats are best researched through the Cobb law enforcement sites. I'd be more concerned with value retention, the area remains awash in distressed and REO homes. The signs point to continued oversupply and stability is probably not on the horizon just yet.

Hank