Home Buying in 95621>Question Details

Sid Lopez, Home Buyer in Citrus Heights, CA

i put 2500 down on a short sale offer, with 2 months for the bank to respond.can i withdraw ?

Asked by Sid Lopez, Citrus Heights, CA Wed Sep 10, 2008

i am having second thoughts since the house is an older home and i see newer homes for lower prices coming on the market. can i back out since the bank has not officially accepted the offer?

Help the community by answering this question:


Hello Ward. I am assuming that you signed the short sale addendum that specified that the agreement was contingent upon the bank approving the contract by a certain date (i.e., 2 months from the date of the acceptance). If that's the case, you are theoretically bound to wait until the 2 months are up. If you cancel sooner, your deposit money could be in jeorpardy. If you truly do have second thoughts, I would ask your agent to check with the listing agent to see if the seller would be willing to release you from the contract because the reality is that you'd still have the right to inspect the property and you can cancel the contract any time during the inspection period. With most short sales, the inspection period does not start until bank approval has been obtained because most buyers will not want to spend money on inspections without knowing that the bank approved the contract. If I were the seller, I would rather release you now than wait until the two months are up. The seller really has nothing to gain from making you wait.

Please understand that my answer is based on what happens most commonly in short sale situations. Without having reviewed your contract, I can only go by my experience and the little information that you provided in your question. You really need to take a close look at the terms of your contract and discuss this with your agent. Good luck to you.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 10, 2008
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in Newcastle, CA
Most short sale listings fail to sell the house or provide relief to the short seller homeowner:
See Jim Wasserman's article in yesterdays Bee:

0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Sep 12, 2008
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
you can withdraw your offer at anytime in writing and as long as it is contingent upon the approval of the short sale and the short sale has not been signed or approved by the bank. ask for a realease of escrow form by your agent. good luck Ward
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 11, 2008
Hi Ward: You can withdraw your offer anytime up until it is accepted by the Seller and the lender in a short sale situation if you have those provisions in your offer documents. Your agent should be able to best advise you.
Web Reference: http://SoldByErin.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 11, 2008

I do a lot of short sales as a listing agent and one of the things that I find is that lenders take so long to approve them, prices can drop (sometimes several times!) before the lender approves the short sale.

I don't even advise opening escrow and depositing the check until we have lender approval. (I do not advise the seller to sign the contract, which allows us to keep accepting offers too.)

Have your agent call the listing agent. Chances are you'll be fine.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 10, 2008
Cindi Hagley, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA
If the contract hasn't been executed you can send a Withdraw Of Offer (C.A.R. Form WOO, 4/06).
If the offer has been acepted you can send a Cancellation Of Contract, Release Of Deposit And Joint Escrow Instructions(C.A.R. Form CC, 4/06)

If you have more questions please talk to your Realtor, or email me.


Adrian Huntington
Welcome Home Real Estate & Finance
53 La Serena Ct. Alamo, CA 94507
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Sep 10, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer