Home Buying in 95628>Question Details

Diane, Home Buyer in 95628

i own a house that needs fixing up alot but i would like to buy a house too can you use one house as a down

Asked by Diane, 95628 Fri Nov 21, 2008

payment with you equity how could i buy and own another would like to sell when fixed up i just want a pretty house

Help the community by answering this question:


There is a group in our area that works on property swaps, although I'd have to research how active they are right now. The cleanest way is to get a home equity line of credit on your fix up home, to use as down payment on your new home. Still, there are more questions to ask you to give you the best direction on this one.

For example, are you living in the fix up home or is it rented? On a new purchase, using FHA lending, you need to put down 3%, but even that could be creatively financed.

To solve your problem the answer is not in using your current home as a 'downpayment' without converting equity to cash in some way. But there may be other solutions. I suggest you call to discuss in more detail with myself or one of the other qualified realtors.
Web Reference: http://www.suearcher.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 22, 2008
Hi Diane,
The chances of finding someone selling the home you want, who also wants a fixer upper, is slim. However you may have other options. Depending on the amount of equity you have in your home, you might be able to refinance it or get a second mortgage, thus giving you the capital you need for a down payment on the home you want to buy. Another choice would be to sell your home as-is. Don't underestimate the amount of buyers looking for handyman specials. Of course this will also depend on your local market. You should contact a local Realtor and have them appraise your home. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 21, 2008

You can't use equity as a down payment unless you get a mortgage to extract that equity. Do you currently have a mortgage on the house that needs fixing up? What is the loan-to-value?

There is also a loan from FHA called a 203k rehab loan. You can use this loan on the house you want to fix up. The lender will lend you the cost to fix up the house and it's a 30 year fixed with good rates.

Warm Regards,

Rob Chomentowski
Sr. Loan Officer
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 21, 2008
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer