Home Buying in Kearny>Question Details

Filipe, Home Buyer in North Plainfield, NJ

i need a very nice and honest agent to help me to purchase my first house someone available?

Asked by Filipe, North Plainfield, NJ Sat Dec 12, 2009

Answers

18
Choosing a Broker as a Buyer

Since most sellers have representation so should you. First and foremost make sure you like each other since you will be spending some time together. Interview two-three agencies and don’t be too concerned as to their locations; sometimes a local broker is no more skilled than one outside your area. Ask about scheduling around your needs, who will choose the properties to be seen, can you expect updates on new listings and recently sold properties, and how often will communication occur, etc. Ask about current sales in your areas of interest, negotiating strategies, etc. The answers to such questions should determine whether you should enter into a business relationship with an individual broker. Buyers should be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 12, 2009
I'm a contrarian, so let me disagree with the basic premise of your question.

I agree that you need an honest agent. And you also need one that's experienced, especially in working with first time home buyers. And you need one you can feel comfortable with. Agents, like buyers and sellers, have all sorts of personalities and styles. Even the very good ones.

However, you do not need a "very nice" agent. You need one who will vigorously and actively work on your behalf. And that means getting tough, as necessary, with the other parties in the transaction to make sure that you're best represented.

Example: You see a house you like. It's priced at $200,000. Your agent advises you that it's really worth about $160,000, based on other recent property sales. He or she advises you that your offer should be below $160,000. Ooohhhh. But that's not nice. Won't the seller be "insulted"? Won't the other agent possibly be upset? Absolutely. A "nice" agent might be more concerned about the feelings of all involved. A good agent will watch out for your best interests.

Another example: Suppose you were selling a home. But it's cluttered, and each room is painted a different color. And there are kids' toys strewn everywhere. A "nice" agent will tell you: "Oh, this home just exudes warmth. Buyers will be able to tell that a family full of love lives here. It might help to pick up the toys before buyers come buy." A good agent will tell you: "This house won't sell the way it looks. You need to clean it up and 'neutralize' it. And it should be shown until you do."

Another example: You're looking for houses. You see one you think you like. But the traffic flow pattern inside isn't good. There are a few stains on the ceiling and a slightly musty odor in the basement. A "nice" agent might say: "Wow. What a unique house. This is one that'll really stand out. A little paint on the ceiling may take care of that, and you can always put a few fans in the basement. After a while, you won't even notice that." A good agent will say: "This is an awkward layout, and it'll be difficult to sell when it comes time. The stains on the ceiling may be from a leaky roof. You need that checked out; that might run $8,000 or so. And the basement smells like it has a water leakage problem, and maybe even mold. It's fixable, but it might cost a lot."

OK. Enough examples. You get my point. You need an honest, competent agent that you're compatible with. You do NOT need a "very nice" agent.

I hope that helps.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 12, 2009
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Hi Filipe, Trulia is a great place to connect with resources, including agents. The prior poster is correct that you will likely get a flood of "pick me" or "I can refer..." responses. But that is not all bad. Depending on your area of interest I may be able to assist. The bulk of the buyers, most of them first time buyers, like yourself, that I assisted this year actually found me on Trulia.

It is a great suggestion to interview a number of agents - and Trulia can be a great place to identify the pool that you'd like to consider. Check out the agents profiles on Trulia, their websites, and be sure to read the testimonials provided by past clients. This is a great way to check for qualities that you value.

I'd be happy to help - and would be honored to be in the pool of agents you consider. You can reach me via Trulia or by emailing me directly at jeanne@feenick.com

Jeanne Feenick
"Unwavering Commitment to Service"
Search the MLS at http://www.feenick.com
Web Reference: http://www.feenick.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 12, 2009
Hi Filipe,

You should be looking into agents that sell homes. There is a reason that agents are top producers in their office. Experience, negotiation, listing homes and helping buyers find their new home.
Especially in this market, experience counts. I think you should find a area that you want to live in, see a few homes online.. you can visit an open house or two.. meet some agents then research the area and the agents in that area.

Yes, you can call a listing agent and see the house they have listed. In NJ all aagents are called Dual Agents until the designation of buyer agent or dual ageny is established. All this means is that the listing agent can sell they home to you as agent for both parties. NJ agents are trained to work as both, and as such you should would want a professional that can handle all aspects of a real estate transaction. No big deal.

The main focus for your agent is the ability to read what you are looking for in a home, knows the area you want to live in and negotiate a good transaction. You should feel that you trust the person you are working with.

Where are you looking for a home? Email me and I can send you a "first time home buyers" transaction break down, which will explain the steps in purchasing a home in New Jersey.

John Sacktig
Broker / Manager
Orange Key Realty
Office: 732-863-6969

JSacktig@Orangekeyrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 12, 2009
Good afternoon Filipe,

First steps:

Meet with a Local Mortgage Banker to get prequalified for mortgage financing. The Mortgage Banker will review all facets of your loan request to answer your questions with regards to the types of loans and maximum loan amounts you could qualify for.

Line up a Home Inspector. A good home inspector will scare the heck out of you: that's what you pay him for! But you'll concentrate on the fundamentals of the property: roof free of leaks, plumbing, heating and electrical up to code and in good working order. Again, when you make an offer and you have your Home Inspector ready to go, your offer will be considered with much more interest by a Seller because you truly have your "ducks in a row" and your preparation demonstrates your serious attitude about conducting the purchase transaction in a timely manner.

Find an experienced Local Realtor who works in your desired shopping area. A serious pro Realtor will refuse to show you homes until you are Prequalified for mortgage financing. Don't take offense! That Realtor doesn't want you to be disappointed and wants you to have a smooth experience as you shop for your new home.

Put together your Team of real estate professionals and shop 'til you drop!

Trevor Curran

*If you thought my answer was helpful, please give me a “Thumbs Up” or “Best Answer.” Thanks!
One can only speculate that since this question was initially posted on Dec. 12, 2009 that this buyer's needs have been met.

Enough said!

Hi Filipe,

My name is Candida from Rosa Agency in Kearny.I have been helping Buyers and Sellers on their Real Estate Transactions since 2006 with sucess on most of them.
Are you interested on to buy your first home,sounds great. Call me at 908.577.7796 and we will start from there,

Candida Santos
Cell 908.577.7796
Hi Filipe,

Welcome to Trulia. Whichever agent you chose to work with you might want to make sure he/she is used to work with local first time home buyers.
Hi Filipe,
My name its Candida,
if you still looking for a Realtor ,you can reach me @ 908-577-7796
Filipe,

There's already a lot of useful information here to help you find a good agent.
Get to know him/her and don't be afraid to find someone else until you're happy.
Sometimes just because you found a nice agent, it doesn't mean that the agent will do their best to represent you. A realtor needs to love his profession, he needs to be dedicated and responsive to your needs. Check out my website for quick answers to general questions. http://www.PaulSantosRealtor.com Good luck Filipe.
What I advise you to do is to go to open houses and talk to agents, to see if you like them and think they are honest. When you've got a handful of names, then talk to them about their experience and approach to helping first-time homebuyers, and see if they can help you achieve your goals.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 12, 2009
Hi Filipe!

When I hear a first time buyer ask for an honest and " nice agent", I understand completely what it is you're asking for. You want someone who will take the time to walk you through the process, be empathetic, upfront....... and listen to what you need and want. Someone who will help guide you in the right direction, and be sensitive to the fact that this process is totally new to you. Someone who wil be patient, and explain every step of the way.

Buying a home can, and is, an overwhelming experience. You should have someone you feel comfortable with, who will make sure you find the best home for your budget and needs......and, at the same time, get out there and make it happen.

If you are buying in Kearny, why not search here on Trulia for agents ......try typing in the name" Kearny", as well as doing a search using the zip code. When you get a list of names, read through the profiles, and reach out to a few agents for an initial conversation. See who you feel a rapport with. Follow up with a meeting, and decide who is the best fit for you.

I don't cover the Kearny area, but I'd be more than happy to help you put things in persepctive, and give you an overview of the process............... so please feel free to give me a call if I can be of help.

Best wishes.................and good luck with your first home!!

Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
email: Debbie.Rose@PrudentialNewjersey.com
Good points: I also don't equate being nice and being a marshmallow. Similarly, I don't assume that pushy or rude negotiators always win. A tough negotiator can--and I'd argue should--be respectful and gracious, but s/he also needs to be shrewd. Please don't assume that shrewdness in this case means that one party has to walk all over the other party.

The goal should always be to structure a win-win deal.
Hi Filipe,

I really like your question. It give me a sense of who you are.
Just a nice persons looking to buy his first home.
I wish you the best of luck in your agent and first home search.

If you have any mortgage questions, I'm always accessible.

Tom Altieri
Face to Face high quality service
New Jersey Mortgage Services
1-800-789-9293
Excuse me, but I do NOT equate nice with marshmallow. I certainly don't think that being a nice agent means that you are not a good agent. I simply equate it with respectful. I can be respectful and still work in the best interest of the people I work for. Just like you shouldn't equate being a "tough" agent with being rude and pushy, you shouldn't equate being nice as someone who is easily walked over.
You make someone being nice sound incompetent and idiotic.
Simply isn't my experience.
I agree 110% with Don; you'll get eaten alive every time if you go with a marshmallow.
Where do you want to look?
Filipe, I am sure there are a lot of very nice and honest agents available. Unfortunately, a question like this on a forum such as this often leads to a flood of responses saying "pick me!" or I'm not from your area but I know a great agent I can refer you to(hoping for a referral fee).
Take Anna's advice, interview, ask tons of questions, visit the office, perhaps meet the broker because the broker determines how the office is run and attracts certain types of agents depending on their business philosophy. Do not settle until you find an agent who you want to spend time with and who you have the utmost confidence in.
I wish you the best of luck on your house hunting adventure!