Home Buying in Queens>Question Details

Pat, Other/Just Looking in Bronx, NY

i'm really tired of dealing w/ rude, loud and inconsiderate neighbors that i've had to put with with in several apartment buildings.I'll be ready to s

Asked by Pat, Bronx, NY Sat Nov 3, 2012

i'll be ready to start home searching next year. I've registered w/ hsbc home buyers club. I need to know when i start looking what i should ask the realtor. I do not want to purchase a co-op after the experiences i've had so maybe a detached small home or duplex would be best for me if that's what i can afford. If i absolutely can only afford a coop, i need to know if coops are strict w/ noise? My current mgmt bldg has "quiet hrs" which basically lets my neighbors be as loud as they want before 10 pm - 7 am which i don't is considerate at all. I need someplace w/ absolute no noise policies. I'll be looking in the Bronx and Queens. I don't feel i should be disturbed at anytime. Even with these quiet hrs, the rules are not followed. Also would a top floor apt be more than another unit in a co-op? I think to me , my solitude at home is worth more than the actual place i'd be purchasing.

Answers

6
Pat, the first thing you need to do is see what you can qualify for. CO-OPS, although the cheapest form of ownership often require 10-20% down and excellent FICOscores. Talk to Chase, Wells Fargo or a mortgage broker for Flagstar (I think thats the lenders name) and see what you can qualify for based on your income, debt, FICO, asset, work history etc. Then you can worry about neighbors and noice secondary. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
Hello Pat. Congratulations on registering with HSBC home buyers club and arming yourself with knowledge and resources. I understand your frustrations. Noise can be a negative when it comes to co-op living. There are great options out there. You should consider what your needs are prior to meeting with a Realtor. For example, we know that noise is a very high priority, but what about location, size, etc. What do you truly want, and what do you truly need? Educate yourself or ask a Realtor to send you some information on the differences between Co-op's, condo's, detached, and attached properties. They both have pros and cons.

Additionally, a Realtor will be able to get you in touch with a Loan Officer who could assist you in educating you on the differences between mortgages, and assist you on obtaining financing and a pre-approval.

I hope this answered your question. Should you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Wishing you all the best,

De Vonte Williamson
Licensed Real Estate Salesperson
Proudly Serving Long Island
Coldwell Banker Residential
Direct:(631)638-6193
Mobile: (631)384-3695
http://cbmoves.com/DeVonte.Williamson
http://devontesellsny.wordpress.com/
DeVonte.Williamson@cbmoves.com
"I Stand Behind Getting You Results!
I'm sorry that you are having to deal with that. It's unfair and miserable. I'm not in the NY area, but I wish u the best of luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
Dear Pat,

It is great that you took the first step in registering with the HSBC home buyers club. Before you decide to purchase, you must first determine how much you are qualified to buy based on the amount determined by your loan officer after evaluation your specific situation.

Each Coop/Condo building is different and the enforcement of the building's house rules also varies from development to development.You are not only limited to large buildings for Coops. There are a few developments in Queens/Bronx that are situated like a Single Family home or two story building, meaning each building only has an upper and lower unit and you are allowed to have Washer/Dryer and also have parking which would be more affordable than purchasing a Single Family home. I understand your concern with purchasing in a development that does not enforce certain rules. Some top floor or penthouse units are usually more but it depends on the building if the penthouse unit provides additional perks (such as a roof deck) you would be paying more for these amenities.

Nirmala Caraballo
Licensed Real Estate Agent
Cruse Realty / Cruz Network
Tel.: 646-479-7873
E-mail: nhcaraballo@yahoo.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
Be aware that a mortgage pre-approval letter is required in order to determine your price range and for any offers to be taken seriously, therefore do visit with any licensed loan officer first. Unfortunately noise is subjective as everyone's tolerance level is different, therefore do shop carefully, chat with management beforehand regarding sound policies, how are they enforced, how often, any penalties, etc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
Hi Pat, purchasing your own home has many perks including having peace and quiet if that is what you desire. I would recommend sitting down with a mortgage banker and figuring out what you can afford for a Single or 2-Family home. You will always be approved for more a a 2-Family than a single family because of the projected rental income. The minimum down payment is 3.5% and the minimum credit score is 640. The amount you qualify for is based on your income. Good luck with your home search and I hope you find the peace and quiet that you deserve.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2012
hi mark, thanks for the quick response. I had done a pre-qualification early last year, was not ready to buy. Now that i am, i need to know how to find out if a co-op is quiet and their rules on noise issues and how they are handled. The realtor can always tell me that the unit and the bldg itself is quiet. I don't want to make the mistake of buying and later on have to deal w/ the same issues i had in a rental. I need an absolute quiet bldg if i'm not qualified for a home.
Flag Sat Nov 3, 2012