Home Buying in Alameda>Question Details

Doreen Brown…, Home Buyer in Pittsburgh, PA

i'm moving to Alameda this year and am worried that I won't know anyone. I do have a dog and noticed that people are gathered around the small dog Do

Asked by Doreen Browne-venable, Pittsburgh, PA Mon Sep 2, 2013

park. Are there any nice condos near to the dog park?

Answers

3
Doreen,

Dogs in Alameda seem to be their own best ambassadors, serving to introduce their human to everyone. Bring some extra doggie treats to share with your new human friends (allow them to treat their own dog) and you have a nice ice breaker. We have residents literally from around the world and the small dog park is wonderful way to meet people with a common interest.

Moving from Pittsburgh should be both exciting and surprising. We moved from North-Eastern Ohio many years ago and still have relatives there and in western PA. There seem to be many Alamedans from the midwest. We joke it's like a '60s midwestern small town hidden in the middle of an extremely dynamic economic center. You'll miss the fall foliage but never see another ice storm, snow tire, or snow shovel unless you head up to the Sierra in winter.

Now, let's look for a home for you. Closest to the dog park, look into 950, 955, 960 and 965 Shorepoint Court. These are good values because they're not on the beach. Prices are rising, supply is low and demand is strong, so anticipate competitive bids in this market.

A couple hundred yards further from the dog park are some beach front condos. 933-1001 Shoreline have wonderful views of the bay. I just represented a buyer at 1001 Shoreline for a top floor, corner unit. It's a competitive market and we made a pre-emptive offer that met the Seller's needs. You'll be tempted to take up kite surfing.

There are also condos 1-2 miles further down the beach from the dog park at 1825 Shoreline, 2101 Shoreline and nearly 3 miles away at 301 and 339 Broadway. I represented 2 buyers at 339 Broadway in the past year and have written offers on all the others in this competitive market. Many of the units at 399 have a view of the saltwater lagoon, which features a wide range of coastal birds. Along the shoreline at Broadway is a bird sanctuary - bring your binoculars!

Welcome to Alameda!
Yes there are a lot of condos located close to the dog park.
Lots of condos near the dog park --- I have one coming up (for sale) on 933 Shoreline, top floor. All the condos have fabulous panoramic views of the bay, and a short distance from the dog parks (separate parks for small and large dogs) and Crown Beach where we have several outdoor events including live concerts in the summer. From here, you can also have fun watching the various water sports (kite boarding and windsurfing) that is popular when the winds kick up.

I also answered another of your questions, that I will repeat here

Doreen, there is an Alameda Social Club that promotes people to network

Here's an article about how it came about http://www.alamedamagazine.com/Alameda-Magazine/March-April-…

And here's where you can see what event(s) are planned
http://www.weddingcoach.bz/SMP/asc.html

Happily, Alameda offers so many activities ---- if you like to dance, check out Friday night Zydeco dancing class at Eagles (on Alameda Avenue, cross street Park St) http://www.sfzydeco.com/Eagles/eagles.htm You don't need to have a partner just to go. Learn the basic steps first, and then it's dancing all night. Folks ask other folks to dance.

Try that first.

Or if you want to see what seniors do for fun, try Mastick Center http://mastickcenter.com/ They offer a lot of activities as well.

Let me know what kinds of activities you're interested in, and I may be able to help.

Welcome to our beautiful island city :)