Home Buying in Syracuse>Question Details

Retired Vet, Home Buyer in Syracuse, NY

i have a credit score of 600, is there any banks that will approve me for a home loan?

Asked by Retired Vet, Syracuse, NY Tue Jul 12, 2011

Answers

11
i have all 3 credit scores, they are experian 609, equifax 627 and transunion 554. i qualify for a va loan yes but when i applied through wells fargo, i got denied. i was told basically the va loan is just a guarantee to the lender that if i default on the loan the va will pay off the loan and then turn around and sell the house. now this was last month and since i have applied my score went up 42 points. it was around 550 when i applied. give or take of course. and why is my transunion score so much lower. i monitor my reports frequently and dont understand this.
Hi Retired Vet,

There are a couple of lenders that can finance borrowers with a 600 score but the requirements can be a little more restrictive which makes it more difficult to qualify and limits you to just a few lenders.

If you were to work on raising your scores (with a mortgage professional's help of course) you would have more lenders to choose from and improve chances of getting approved.

As a retired Vet, you really should take advantage of your VA benefits and go for a VA loan.
Yes there are banks that would lend to you, but if you took a little time you could raise that score and I am assuming you don't have all three scores, so since you know one, the othe two might be worse and this would prove a problem, te banks look at all three major scores, so a 600, 575, and 595 would still only be as good as you lowest score!
Yes, you are financeable....at least FICO score wise. As importantly, you should be working with a Buyer's Agent, NEVER the Listing Agent(read my Blog),

Joseph Pauldine
(315)591-8517
My bank First Franklin Financial does applicants with your FICO. We would need to talk to see what mortgage is better for you FHA or VA. A conventional mortgage requires a higher FICO score. I would like to explore your credit report to see if there is anything you need to do to get your score higher.
Yes, and I would be happy to help get you started in the right direction. Send me an email if you have a problem finding a local mortgage broker who can work with you.

Best of luck,
Zisis
I know of a mortgage broker who very often finds loans for those who might not otherwise be accepted by many of the more traditional lenders. I agree with the other gentleman who answered by saying you should look into VA loans.
Check with Wells Fargo, they can do a 600 score with 3.5% down
Lately we have been able to find some programs that will allow people get mortgages with 580's! It is always better to be above 620 during these times- but you should be able to find a program that works for you.
This article talks about getting a refinance- http://www.brickhomepartners.com/buy-a-home/refinance-things… - it may be helpful.
Retired Vet,

You'll want to focus your efforts on getting a VA loan and work to find a lender in your area who will accommodate a 600 credit score. There may be a few. You can also consider working with a credit repair service to address the items on your report that are keeping the score down. If you need a referral for either the lender or the credit repair service, please let me know.

Rob Spinosa
rspinosa@rpm-mtg.com
There are some but better to apply for an FHA loan.