Home Buying in Georgetown>Question Details

Roni Cowan, Home Buyer in Washington, DC

i am trying to find an apartment for my son who will be a junior at georgtown nex year. He is very responsible and lovely and not a party boy at

Asked by Roni Cowan, Washington, DC Fri Oct 7, 2011

all.
any 1 or 2 bed options that you might have?

Answers

6
Homebuyer101’s answer
Hi Roni,

I completely understand the need for you to at least help your son narrow down some rental options. I'm not a realtor but I do work in real estate and I graduated Georgetown a few years ago, so I understand the housing options that students typically take very well. Most students live on campus -- has your son considered the many on campus apartment options, such as Village A (the upper floor units with rooftop access are very hot comodities) or LXR (I knew four guys with a 2 level LXR apartment with an exposed brick wall and a hot tub -- it was gorgeous)? How good of an apt he can get on campus will depend on his (or his roomates!) housing lottery pick (so encourage him to form a "roomate alliance" with some friends before the draw so they can all benefit from the best lottery pick of on campus housing).

When students do live off campus, it's almost always in one of the townhouses immediately surrounding campus (on Prospect St, N, O, or P Streets, etc.). Georgetown owns some of these townhomes, but private landlords own most of them. I've seen up to 9 students rent one townhouse, though, due to the high price. If he were to venture further out of Gtown, then Rosslyn and Dupont Circle are not bad options because the Georgetown University shuttle goes straight to campus from those two very metro accessible neighborhoods. And Georgetown does have a great housing office, so definitely talk to them if you're feeling like you need a clearer overview of all your options! Hope this helps :)
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 8, 2011
Hi Roni,
A junior should be able to find an apartment by themselves, and it builds character. There is a more modern term to describe "very responsible and lovely and not a party boy", it's shorter and easier to say--now we just say "Mommas boy". Trulia has apartment listings. Click "Rent" in the green bar above. or use this link

http://www.trulia.com/for_rent/DC/Washington,1843,Georgetown/

Good Luck
We have a rental specialist in our office. Please contact Victor Calventi, (202)297-9979, or vcalventi@mris.com. He often knows of things that are not advertised. Many Georgetown students live just north of the campus in Burleith or Glover Park.
Hi Roni,

I work with a lot of rental clients and could help locate an apartment for your son. I'm licensed in DC, VA and MD, so we can look at all of his options based on price range and neighborhoods he would like to be in.

The price can vary greatly, but the largest factor is going to be proximity to metro stops, because the closer you get to one the more expensive it will be. Oddly, apartments tend to be pricier in Roslyn, VA than Georgetown.

Feel free to contact me and we can set up a phone call to talk about options. When you say next year, do you mean January 2012 or Fall semester 2012?

:)
Kelly

Kelly Putz
Realtor®
DC/MD/VA
Keller Williams McLean-Great Falls
703-961-8663 (c)
Kelly.Putz@Gmail.com
http://kellyputz.kwrealty.com/
As Melissa says, it depends a lot on price range and how close he needs or wants to be to Georgetown.

It's early to actually be looking for apartments for next year (if you mean next fall). But it's certainly OK to narrow down your choices.

However, I'm not a big fan of Craigslist. There are just too many flakes on there.

On the other hand, if he's looking for a shared arrangement, that is one option. Another one is to check the housing office at Georgetown (I assume it has one; most schools do).

I went to GW many years ago--and after I graduated I lived in Georgetown for 4 years--so I know what it's like with housing in or near downtown DC.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Hi

It depends on a few things: your price range, how close to Georgetown your son needs/wants to be. For rentals your best best might be Craig's List since more rentals end up there than in our MLS system. What is your timeframe? If you drop me a line, I can email you want is out there right now.

Melissa
mbarkalow@comcast.net