Home Buying in Sparta>Question Details

Manoj Joshi, Home Buyer in East Brunswick, NJ

i am thinking of moving to Sparta, how good (bad) a commute is to NYC or Jersey City ?

Asked by Manoj Joshi, East Brunswick, NJ Thu May 9, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3109643578-15-Springbrook-Trl…

Answers

6
Well said, Rosa. Beats Long Island traffic any day (where we moved from)!
Contrary to disbelief, most of my neighbors work on Wall Street and enjoy coming home to the peace and tranquility. My husband commutes to Jersey City & consistently takes 45 minutes with no tolls (an added bonus). The best move we've made! Hope this helps & best of luck! :-)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Jun 1, 2013
I have been living here for about 10 years. We moved to Sparta from Brooklyn and never looked back. I was working in the city when we first moved here. The commute is long, bus is a more civilized way to travel than the train. We're at the beginning of the line so you will always have a seat. For us it wasn't much different as we lived 18 miles out of the city and it took me 1 to 1 1/2 hours to get to work from Brooklyn. The quality of life is worth the commute. When you get home you leave the hustle and bustle behind and enjoy the serenity. Everyday feels like your at your vacation place. That being said. It is a personal decision and we all have different wants and needs. If you haven't already done so. You should come spend the day or the weekend In the area, see if its for you. Do a test run to your job. Good Luck.
As someone who has lived in Sparta for five years, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm not an agent - just someone who has the experience. If you leave early in the morning, like everyone else, you can get into the city in a little over an hour. My husband used to take the Lakeland Bus from the Police station and leave at 6am and be at his desk in midtown by 7:15-7:20. Getting home, however, is a gamble. On good days (and he left on the 4:30 express back to Sparta) it was nearly two hours to get home. On Friday's in the summer, forget it. Stay late and miss the madness on RTE 80. If you were to drive, do so early in the morning and park in the Port Authority parking lot. It shoots you out right into the tunnel and is worth a million dollars so you don't have to sit in tunnel traffic. That is also the beauty of the buses. The train really isn't a viable option as you have to trek down to Dover which is 30 minimum and it's another 1 1/2 into Penn.

You get more space, more privacy, and most of the good things that smaller towns have to offer by living in Sparta. Taxes are higher than surrounding area's - you could look in Jefferson/Parsippany/Morris Plains and get some of the same results.

My husband eventually took a job in NJ to avoid the commute to the city. Which is ultimately what most people do.

It is something to take into consideration if you don't enjoy driving, specially if you have to drive during rush hour traffic. It takes an hour without traffic and about 1:30 in rush hour, however there is private and public transportation and you can check NJ Transit http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=BusPCTo.
I'm sure you are aware of the lifestyle and the beauty of the area. It's is a trade-off..
Quality of life when you are here is uber worth it. However, the commute does have it's down side. Rt 15 is just about the only way out unless you are on the hill and can jump on rt 23 to 287. Truth is many people do it and say it is worth it.

Hope this helps

You can ask me more questions or visit me at http://www.nwnjhomefinder.com

p.s. I was born in Sparta and I'm still here.
It isn't a terribly long commute (about an hour without traffic), but you do need to change many highways to get to the city as there is no direct route. Last time I did it, I believe it was 15, to 80, to 280, to 78. Once you do it a few times, it becomes second nature, but coming from East Brunswick, your commute will be noticeably different. East Brunswick is very direct; Turnpike straight into the city. Good luck.