Home Buying in San Diego>Question Details

Bonnie Oneill, Home Buyer in Pennsylvania

i am looking to retire to san diego. any suggestions about areas. safe, walk friendly, clean etc. thanks

Asked by Bonnie Oneill, Pennsylvania Mon Apr 9, 2012

Answers

52
Hi Bonnie,

There are a number of variables that I would take into account before recommending specific areas for you - one of the chief ones being your price range.

If you enjoy an urban lifestyle, there are two Downtown areas I would consider Little Italy and the Marina District, Bankers Hill, Mission Hills and Hillcrest are all strong walking areas.

Walkable options in North County include Del Mar, Encinitas, and Downtown Carlsbad.

Much of San Diego real estate is suburban in nature. If you enjoy walking but don't need to walk to a retail store, I think Rancho Bernardo offers a great deal to seniors. It houses a number of 55+ communities and many, many golf courses and green areas to walk the afternoon away.

Please feel free to give me a call. We're probably close to the same age and I would love to help find the right location for you.
Bonnie,
Much will depend on price and your interests.
My recommendation of Carlsbad is supported by:

North San Diego County was rated as the 5th Best Place to Retire in the U.S. by David Savageau's book titled Retirement Places Rated (6th Edition). In addition, Carlsbad was rated as one of the 10 Best Retirement Towns in Southern California by Where To Retire Magazine.

Active adult living rated Carlsbad #1 in 2010

Fortune Magazine rated Carlsbad as one of the nation’s five best places to retire. "An affordable Southern California dream lifestyle is still available in about one place: Carlsbad," the magazine boasted in August, 1997. Fortune pointed out that our community has ample open space, a low crime rate, a near-perfect climate, smog-free ocean breezes, and is not in an earthquake fault zone.

Carlsbad has great Senior Activities and a very active general population. 55+ housing is limited to mobile homes, some where you own your own land.

Prices for Condos start in the mid $100's and detached houses in the low $400's

Please feel welcome to call me for more information.
Dennis Smith, ABR, SRES, e-PRO, Realtor® CA DRE#00476662
CDPE - Certified Distressed Property Specialist
RE/MAX By-The-Sea, Carlsbad CA
Bonnie.. You have some great answers here. I live in Birdrock with a walkscore of 92, and work in La Jolla, with a walkscore of 98...but then there is downtown San Diego, an urban, youthful, fun-place-to-live area and that walkscore is off the charts. But like so many have said, it really depends on your budget...pre-approval...what you can afford.

Also, you may want to know where there are facilities where you can interact with other retired San Diegans. I'm 66 years old, and work with many retired transplants.

If you'd like to talk more personally, please feel free to call me.

Wishing you the best.. ... welcome to San Diego.

Jeannie Thompson
Coldwell Banker
La Jolla
DRE# 01021435
http://www.TheRealEstateCat.com
jeannie@jeanniethompson.com
959 395 7727
As with everything in life, it depends most significantly on your price range. Other vital ingredients to consider are your interests, hobbies, whether you prefer an urban, suburban, or rural lifestyle.

The best locations for walking include our 'villages' - communities where you can walk to most of what you need. These include Downtown, Hillcrest/Mission Hills/North Park. Downtown Eninitias and Del Mar.

There are a few 55+ communities in San Diego that are less expensive but offer lovely housing for seniors. The 55+ community I like best is in Rancho Bearndo. Surrounded by golf courses, there is lots of grass and many walk ways.

Bonnie, I am almost retiremetnt age myself - so feel free to contact me direclty. I have a real good sense of where 'older' women would feel save and want to live.

All the best!
So you see Bonnie, there are a lot of perspectives on where you might retire...many of which reflect areas we prefer, which is great, but you need to figure out what you prefer. Interestingly, no one said Julian or Ramona or Fallbrook, all of which offer a more rural experience and are super nice as well.

Having 20+ different answers is almost as difficult as having no answers at all when it comes to making a decision. How do you decide? Probably your best option is to find an agent you are comfortable with who knows San Diego and start a focused discussion to help you narrow down the potential areas you want to put on a short list to further explore. No one can really make that list for you.

Also, don't be afraid about renting in an area to see if you like it because that way you can 1) take more time to further explore what the different areas in the county have to offer; 2) more easily move if you decide you don't like the area where you decided to rent; 3) take time to find a realtor you actually like and can trust as opposed to one who is throwing you their scripted sales pitch.

Talk soon and good luck!

BeachBrokerBill
CA DRE 01775528
(760) 525-8698
Hi Bonnie,

San Diego is a beautiful area and certainly some communities are more walk friendly than others. I specialize in Arizona but helped my sister-in-law find a property in Scripps Ranch last year in 2011, so encountered many of the same questions and concerns you have as a consumer.

We found the following websites helpful in researching walkability and safety.
http://www.walkscore.com/
http://www.meganslaw.ca.gov/

I agree with several other posts that La Jolla is a stunning community, but there are other gems that will meet your criteria so find a good agent that specializes in some of the communities that you are interested in. Good luck and enjoy your retirement!

Warm Regards,
Chris Spalding
(602) 312-7237
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 15, 2012
Please try to contact our team , we can help you find a good place.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 22, 2015
I am moving back to San Diego, Lord willing, once I retire and sell my home here in Aurora, CO. Looking at our income, once retired, my wife and I are looking to rent vs. buy to maximize our cash flow. Our rental range is $1000 to $1200 per month and we'd like to find a 2 bedroom/2 bath rental. Is this achievable? And would we be able to live in a safe area?

Mike Wilson
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 21, 2015
Hello Bonnie,

We are working here in San Diego for Real Estate , i guess we can help you better , please contact us, thanks ;)
San Diego is a big place. you need to define an area, inland, coastal, north, south, east. Price range is key!

Best!!
Good afternoon Bonnie. Many great answers already but I would say Bird Rock, parts of Pacific Beach, Cardiff, Parts of Del Mar and Encinitas are great areas for what you are looking for. All are coastal, have a business district and plenty of housing options. One thing to consider is how close to central San Diego and the airport you want to be. Del Mar, Encinitas and Cardiff are all great areas but they are in North County and the drive to places like the airport, Downtown etc can be really bad due to traffic.

Hope this helps
Hello Bonnie,

We can Help you if you wanted to stay here in San Diego we work on with the Homes and places you might like.
Are you still looking for information? If so, I'd love the opportunity to talk with you further about your plans, wants and needs.

Jeffrey M. Simon, REALTOR®
Big Block Realty
CalBRE 01958629
Jeff@SoldBySimon.com
JeffSimonRE@gmail.com

http://www.SoldBySimon.com
Delivering Passionate Customer Service!
Oh, by the way, I always have time for your referrals.
Looks like you've received a lot of very astute answers from some real good Professionals. Not sure I could add anything to it except that we moved to SD 34 years ago and have never looked back. Coming home from a vacation anywhere in the World is like going on perpetual vacation when the wheels hit the ground. I'm always happy when I get home. Plus the surf's always up somewhere in SD. If not there's lot's of other things to do.
Hey Bonnie,

Curious?? Have you moved to San Diego yet?? Wasn't sure if you made the move or not and wanted to chat with you if you're still thinking about it.

Chris
Too many to list and not enough information to narrow down the criteria..
Like budget, close to the beach? size, home vs condo, etc...

Talk to an agent and he/she can walk you through the process and help narrow down your search and recommend some areas..

Khrystyna Chorna
Real Estate Supergirl
Pacific Sotheby's International Realty
619.808.7064
Hi Bonnie,
I know you asked this question quite a while back but have you decided on your plans to move? I have senior condos available at the moment in a beach town under $215,000. Contact me for more details.
Laura Sprayberry
Premiere Homes
(760) 484-0599
Laura@premieresd.com
ListwithLauraSD.com
It depends on your price range and exactly what you're looking for. I'm a realtor here in San Diego and have lived here my whole life.
Rancho Bernardo, Del Mar, Carlsbad, and La jolla are popular places.
Feel free to give me a call or email me and I can get more information on exactly what you're looking for and help you out!!
Chloe Nimmo
DRE#01918537
619-890-9880
OK, so are we just trying to feed this April 9th stream to get points? Don't you think this thread is dead? I mean come on if people with questions can't form up some type of response after 4 months should we keep feeding into it? I say................................NEXT!!!!
Honestly Bonnie - as much as I would like to offer a specific area - it's hard to without knowing more specifics -

What type of price are we looking at ?
Are you wanting a suburban, country, or urban lifestyle?
What types of hobbies do you engage in?
Are you expecting a house or some type of condo?

I encourage you to share more - either on this site, or with me directly, so I can make some infomred suggestions!!
So let's retire already. Lot's of folks have already done that and are way ahead of you. Time to pull the trigger.
Hi Bonnie,

How are your retirement plans coming along? I personally like the Rancho Bernardo area. Wherever you move to in San Diego I'm sure you going to enjoy living here. The weather is always great. There are lots of things to do around San Diego all year long. San Diego also has good options for health care with Scripps, Sharp, UC San Diego medical and Kaiser located throughout the area.

I suggest renting when you first move here. It will give you a chance to explore the neighborhoods before making a purchase.

MaryAnn
I just moved to the Golden Hill area (92102) just east of downtown and I love it. It is up and coming, and you can get some real bang for your buck. Also, you are only about a 25 minute walk to Petco field.

Hope this helps.
Just curious.....has anyone heard from Bonnie O.? Did she reply and I missed it? BTW, great information from everyone!
Bonnie, The agents here have given you some great advice.,..and there really are few, if any, "bad" places to live in San Diego County. I have only lived in the area three years and love it. One thing I would recommend is that you check out the Coaster, Sprinter and Trolley lines. The transit system in SD is pretty incredible and it is ridiculously inexpensive for anyone over 60. At times traffic can be pretty congested; I love using the transit systems and they are much, much cleaner than most metro areas.

Best of luck! If you have any questions regarding financing please contact me.
Hi Bonnie-

Hopefully, by now you have received a wealth of information.
I have 3 key areas in mind, based on your criteria. One, I happen to live in an area called Carmel Creek in Carmel Valley/Del Mar Heights, which is a midway point and very central to most everywhere in San Diego. Also, a little over 2 miles to the beach. You can walk to great restaurants, movie theatre and stores. It's a safe area and known for morning and evening walkers out with their pets. There are also other areas, depending on if you are looking for a single family home, townhome or condo.

Please feel free to contact me today and I can send over some pictures of various properties.
858-525-5402.

Best of Luck!
Diane

Diane Kephart, Realtor
Prudential California Realty
3790 Via De La Valle
Del Mar, CA 92014
858-525-5402
d.kephart@hotmail.com
DRE#01026996
http://www.dreamhomesofcarmelvalley.com
Hello Bonnie~

So many great answers here and as you can see, you have many choices. Every one of us here loves San Diego, and would be more than happy to discuss your parameters and criteria to find a good fit for your personal lifestyle.

As Chris Spalding mentioned http://www.walkscore.com allows you to see the walk scores of many of San Diego neighborhoods. I recently helped a couple in a similar situation to narrow down their search to the best neighborhood for themselves that was coastal and had a high walkability score. They chose Carlsbad Village aka Carlsbad by the Sea which has a score of 86 (out of 100).

Another special area is Cardiff by the Sea, along with downtown Encinitas. If you have a conversation with a few local Real Estate Agents, you find one that communicates well with you, is like minded and who will help this new transition to flow much smoother. As other professionals have mentioned, much depends on your price range. There inland areas that are charming with a small town feel, such as La Mesa Village. Downtown San Diego, Little Italy and Gaslamp all have so much to offer and have scores of 92-98. You are making a great choice on a city for retirement, I wish you the best with your move to America's Finest City!

Chris Gorno
Windermere Real Estate SoCAL
DRE # 01499885
Web Reference: http://www.walkscore.com
I might suggest that you select a RE professional, hopefully from this forum, to assist you in your search. Whether you wish to own or rent you will find the folks on Trulia very honest, and easy to work with. We would be very happy to work with you anytime. Please feel free to log onto our very user friendly websites

We're a one stop turnkey family owned and operated real estate brokerage, general contractor rehab, remodel, rebuild or new build, architectural, landscaping and interior design company and a total solution to any RE need.

760 815-6977
onthelevel@cox.net
http://www.tagrealestatesales.com http://www.chadofalltrades.com http://www.intimatelivinginteriors.com
Web Reference: http://www.sandiegorealestate.com.
I am not a licensed realtor in California, but I have personal experience in San Diego. La Jolla might be a good location for you. There are also many communities. Best of luck. If you ever need assistance with real estate in Delaware, contact me.
Beautiful communities with high walk scores...I'd be glad to share them with you...You may cal me at 858 395 7727..Jeannie Thompson, Coldell Banker Real Estate, La Jolla, CA 92037
The Beautiful Coastal Beachy Lifestyle with the Amazing Pacific Ocean nearby in San Diego North County is a wonderful place to live like Carlsbad. You have sooo many options... You may enjoy the city lights and activities in a lovely area of San Diego. U could consider Sunny SW Riverside County like Temecula, or maybe 55+ or maybe not. I'll send U some properties If U want to call me at 760 622 6855 or email at maureen@landangel.com. Thank U!!
Web Reference: http://www.coastal.biz
Hello Bonnie,
I have been in the business for over 37 years. Real Estate is my first love and I am well versed in this area. San Diego is the best city to live in all of US. There are many best areas. From 200,000-1,000,000. Please contact me @ 888-408-4888 so I can get more info from you then I can suggest an area. http://www.danaleerosas.com
Thank you, Dana Rosas
Hi Bonnie! As you can see from the many great responses to your inquiry, San Diego is the perfect place for you with so many options! I live in downtown San Diego and love it. Many of my friends are retired and we are so happy we decided to move to downtown. Average walkability score is 85+. Within 3 blocks of my condo, I walk to the grocery store, the hair salon, the drycleaners, the dentist and even the large and well-known Horton Plaza shopping mall with Macy's and Nordstroms. The famous Gaslamp District with it's many restaurants and entertainment venues is again just a short stroll away and that's not mentioning Seaport Village, the bay and the harbor and the hotels! Yes, I could go on and on. If you're the slightest bit friendly, you will never feel like a stranger in this "big city with a small town attitude". Best wishes with your new lifestyle ~

Cheri Jessup, Broker
Jessup and Associates Realty
Hi Bonnie, As a native San Diegan I can recommend a variety of communities in this amazing city! Each having their own appeal depending on your lifestyle. The older areas have a comfortable look and feel of mature landscaping and unique homes - newer areas have a different freshness about them but equally attractive. What do you like? The weather also changes several degrees from our East county to the seashore - like hot and stuffy to very cool and breezy with overcast and fog a few months of the year. San Diego is a City that requires "layering" of clothing - if you wait an hour or two you need a different outfit. I personally live in the middle of town in a more mature area. But I have lived in serveral areas in my lifetime within San Diego. I have been in the real estate industry my entire adult life and a lender for over 23 years. (You'll see many great realtors on Trulia; but I concentrate on the lending side) I would be happy to personally answer any questions about my city as well as give you a perspective on available loans if you plan on buying anytime soon. Best Wishes on your pending move!
Good Morning, Bonnie,
I have several suggestions about areas in San Diego that would be great . the first area is La Mesa, which is right next to San Diego, It's a small city, safe, clean, well-maintained, and the people are friendly. It's also good for walks, shopping, medical facilities, and eateries.
Another great are for retired people is North Park, which is a neighborhood in San Diego that's clean, quiet and convenient to all services.
Are you interested in renting or buying? If you could tell me that and what price range you're interested in, need to need it, I can help you find what you're looking for, and start sending you information. I'm a local Centry 21 agent and have lived here most of my life, so I know the San Diego area very well. Please contact me with any questions you may have at (619) 296-3250 or: nncmorgan@gmail.com

Nancy l. Morgan
Hi Bonnie,

What you asked is the $10 million dollar question in San Diego. Given the geographic size of San Diego County and the varied number of communities that fit what you are seeking. Generally your decision will revolve around 5 factors:

1. What do you want to spend?

2. Do you want a single family home, townhome or a condo?

3. Do you want to be by the coast (cooler) or inland (warmer)?

4. Do you want an urban or suburban feel?

5. Do you want to be in a 55+ age restricted community?

Once you consider these questions, you can start to narrow the areas the will suite your needs.

Best of luck,

Mark & Kari Shea
Shea Real Estate
this was the best response to the question, every buyer is different in what they want... but after looking at the posts, San Diego truly has something for everyone!
Flag Fri Apr 13, 2012
Gee Bonnie, your getting some wonderful advice from everyone. There are so many wonderful areas in the county, it really depends on your personal likes. I live in Rancho Bernardo and I love the warm sunny days, no coastal fog, and I can be at the beach in less than 30 minutes, the mountains in 1 Hr, and the desert in less than an hour.
I recently sold a condo in San Marcos, to a couple from Seattle, they love the bike trails, and the walk score of Elfin Forest!
I have a good friend in York, PA, and I have traveled that area quite a lot. I think the inland area here is perfect and my friend says if she ever retires, she wants to be my Neighbor :>)
If you would like to speak one on one please feel free to call or e-mail me (858) 414-3950 or phallhomes@gmail.com or on the web at: http://www.PattiHallHomes.com
I should mention I have lived in San Diego 40 years now!
My suggestions are Encinitas and Carlsbad in North County. They are great coastal towns with very nice downtowns. And, of course, there is the beach for walking. If the beach is not important, Kensington is a wonderful neighborhood. There are coffee shops,restaurants and shops nearby. Price point is going be a factor as San Diego neighborhoods have a wide range of prices.
Downtown condos are easy living with walking access to just about everything. Plus, you can always take the train to points north. Good luck with your decision. I think you have picked the Finest City in which to retire. Let me know if I can help.

Maria Weiss
Prudential CA Realty
3790 Via de la Valle #201
Del Mar, CA 92014
858-248-0863
Web Reference: http://www.mariaweiss.com
Hi Bonnie,
I can't think of a better place to retire. San Diego offers a vast array of environments from coastal to mountain to desert, from urban to suburban, so if I recommended all the places I love, this would be a very long response indeed. I just worked with a couple who retired here and they chose to live Downtown because they can walk everywhere, it's close to the beach and it has the east coast urban feeling they grew up with.

Feel free to contact me directly to find out the best place for you!

Thanks!
Sinead McAllister
Broker
McAllister Homes Real Estate
858-205-5215
brokermcallister@gmail.com
Oops! The website reference on my previous comment should have been
You've received a lot of very good advice. I might suggest that you consider some of their questions i.e. do you wish to own or rent, live in a single family detached home or a condo, town home, manufactured home retirement community (very affordable and lots of things to do if you choose the right one), near the beach, in the city, country, desert?

The neat thing about SD is you can live just about anywhere and have a tremendous quality of life. Or you can get to just about anywhere you want to go from just about anywhere you decide to put down roots. The sky is the limit.

760 815-6977
onthelevel@cox.net

http://www.tagrealestatesales.com
http://www.chadofalltrades.com
http://www.intimatelivinginteriors.com
Hi Bonnie, San Diego is a beautiful city to live in and to retire however Ithe question on area would be based on how much of a house, condo, or manufactured home you can afford would determine what area would fit your needs.
Robin
Bonnie,
You don't mention wether you will be buying or renting and though it is a little pricey, I suggest you check out Coronado, Ca. I live in Coronado and find it totally enjoyable and easy for walking and biking. Bay on one side, ocean on the other. Pedestrian & bike ferry to downtown San Diego or it is a 10 Minute ride over the free Coronado Bay Bridge. A number of people use street legal golf carts for transportation in town. Buses and modern trolleys provide more transportation. Coronado has many parks, marinas, a golf course, multiple tennis courts and a tennis center, community pool and lots of fitness facilities. Multiple dining spots and specialty shops and a very low crime rate. Concerts in the park in the summer. An exceptional library. A totally remodeled movie theatre with three screens, a theatre group playhouse,coffee shops and all of that with a resort feel. If you have a military ID of any sort, you can also benefit from the multiple military facilities that call Coronado home. You can get a feel for the life here with http://www.ecoronado.com and http://www.coronado.ca.us/
I am not an agent though, I can refer you to some property managers and/or Realtors should you need names of good ones.
Bonnie,
Welcome to San Diego in advance! I was born and raised here and can think of no better place to retire.
As others have said a lot will depend on your price range and whether you want to have a condominium/town home or a single family detached home.
Downtown San Diego has become a very popular residential location. There is lots to do and everything is within walking distance. You will be looking at condominiums not detached home if you consider downtown.
There are great areas by Balboa Park, and the other mid city areas of University Heights, Kensington, Mission Hills and Hillcrest offer walk friendly environments.
If you prefer the coastal locations, La Jolla has one of the finest beaches around but is very expensive. The more northerly beach city of Carlsbad has a great downtown and easy beach access. There are other fine communities in between.
I would like to take some time to discuss your needs and help you find the best home that meets those needs.

I am never too busy for your referrals

Jerry Heard
Your Broker
The San Diego Property Shop
http://www.TheSanDiegoPropertyShop.com
jerry.sdps@cox.net
Direct 619-920-9796
Office 619-269-5545
Fax 619-269-9168
CA DRE # 00648687
I can only share my personal experience, but as a downtown resident... I think Downtown would meet the needs of what you are looking for. most downtown buildings have secure access and guarded front doors. The bay,balboa park and restaurants are all walking distance and the sidewalks are frequently pressure washed, streets are swept daily and there is a lot of staff committed to keeping downtown san diego clean.
It depends on your persona. Do you like outdoor activities? Or are you more culturally driven i.e. art, theater, concerts, etc. Do you like living in an urban, rural, suburban environment? There's a multitude of options in San Diego.

I have several ideas for any venue. Please call me anytime. 760 815-6977 Or feel free to email me. Also, please feel free to peruse our very user friendly website below. It's very fun and easy to navigate.
That is kind of like asking "I like food, what do you suggest"? We would have to taylor it to your taste and your price range. What you like to do and what you want to be near.
Give me a call and let's find out what fits you best.
619-507-7449
rowellrealestate@gmail.com
Hi Bonnie,
There are many areas that are walking distance to shops and restaurants that are clean in the San Diego.

It all depends how much you want to spend and if your open to a nice condo.
I would suggest for Condo's/ Townhomes: Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar, La Jolla, Little Italy,
North Pacific Beach and Bayside of Mission Beach.

Feel free to go to my site and browse around to get a feel for the areas and properties in far as what
you get for your money.

Best Wishes,

David R. Indermill
3rd Generation San Diegan
The Sterling Company
DRE#01232827
http://www.SanDiegoHomeStore.Com
Hello Bonnie,
Good to hear you wish to retire in our beautiful, sunny San Diego.
Answer to your question; Yes, Rancho Bernardo~~Two very nice, safe, 55+ Neighborhoods: Seven Oaks and Oaks North. For more information please visit my Blog: http://www.MiraSanDiegoHomes.com
Please contact me if you wish: 858-449-0590. I'd like to talk to you.
Mira Bozanich
Hi Bonnie:

There are so many great places here in San Diego. My preference is north San Diego and near the coast. The best community for you depends on what you want to do in retirement, but there are some fantastic places in La Costa, Encinitas, San Marcos, and even Escondido that have so much to offer.

What I like about La Costa is that it is reasonably close to the beach, close to great shopping, nearby the La Costa Resort, and not as crowded as Solana Beach and Del Mar can get in the summer with the race track and Del Mar Fair. For me, daily walks on the beach is retirement!

It will be interesting to hear what others say, but good luck in your journey and congratulations on your retirement.

BeachBrokerBill
CA DRE 01775528
(760) 525-8698
1 2