Howie, Home Buyer in North Carolina

i am looking to move to florida when everyones leaving; is ths a good idea

Asked by Howie, North Carolina Tue Jan 29, 2008

Answers

42
Southernshark’s answer
Most of the people who are telling you that Florida is going to make a big come back are REALTORS. Think about it. Of course they are going to tell you that. I'm a Florida native and I'm looking to get out.

This state is backwards. It's a throwback to something that existed in the minds of retired Ohioans... a place that never really was. The old retirees from the North craft the laws and policies of the state. The police are nazis. The laws are backwards. And there a million of those laws... little laws about everything that you can and can't do.

The education system sucks. The state caters to retirees. What do they care about education?

There are no jobs.... not real ones. Oh there are a few here and there... but for the most part the State makes nothing. It has no real research centers outside of one or two standouts. It's entire economy focuses on people moving here to die.

They aren't making more baby boomers. The generation behind them is smaller and poorer. If population growth continues in the State it will be the wetbacks and inner tubers that take over.

In terms of real estate going up... don't bank on it. There are tens of thousands of empty million dollar homes in this state that were built by idiots for idiots. There is nowhere for prices to go but down. By the time prices do turn around the houses out there now will be 50 year old dumps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 1, 2009
Amazing that after nearly five years this one only has 38 answers. I think "Best Answer" should go to the thoughtful, well articulated thesis from SouthernShark...
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Oct 9, 2012
Florida is a horrible place to live. There are no jobs and its not getting any better. People from out of state are target for crime and scams!!! If you move there from another state they will not hire you. People from Florida think that the "new people" ruined the state, but the truth is now that most of the new people have left, everything in Florida has fallen to pieces. Florida is a big mistake!!! I'm leaving too!!!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 5, 2010
I have a home in Palm Coast, FL 5bedroom 3 bath 2850 sq feet with a pool for $369,000 (price negoiable). The house was built in 2006, have new kitchen, granite counter tops, big master bath with a whirl pol tub and stading shower. Close to all, Palm Coast is 20 mins from Daytona Beach. If you are interested please email me at nej3318@optonline.net.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 2, 2008
Good morning,
Flight from Florida has been mainly from south east and south west coastal areas. Insurance costs are much higher due to past years hurricances. Central and Northeast and Nothwest are growing quickly. Migration from southern and coastal towards inland and north. You still cant beat the weather! Its a very opportunistic time to buy. Check out all the areas.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 12, 2008
Howie, growth has certainly slowed but Florida is actually still growing every day. See this article from the OBJ below.

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/stories/2007/11/05/daily33.html

Yesterday, I read another article from UCF which shows growth at 1000 people a day, less than in previous years but still growing.

I really think that you should live in whatever state you think will make you the happiest though. Don't worry about what other people are doing. After all, when have the masses ever been right about anything - they voted in Bush for Chrissakes!
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 30, 2008
Now is a good time to start doing your homework ...

Florida is a big state, I've lived on both coasts for 20 years and still only seen 75% of it - maybe ....

I see Marlene is from the Destin area, which I'm just seeing because of all of the great golf in that area ..... but know is the time to do your homework, study the different area's and then come down after the Easter rush .. the traffic will be less, and the prices will be lower.

Look hard and look long - it's only "your" money you're saving.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 29, 2008
Great time to buy here in South Florida. Please contact me, will be glad to help with any questions in this area.

James Loftis
954-261-3361
Real Estate 911 Inc Broker /Owner
RealEstate911@gmail.com
RealEstate911.com
Six years and still going strong. Not sure if I would call the Florida legislature corrupt, but self serving sure fits. Clearly we've gone through a full economic cycle since this one started and Florida is growing big time again. Given how terrible the winter has been up north (can I get a Polar Vortex) this year I think we may see that accelerate.
I have lived in Florida for 14 years, in that time I have discovered that the government is about the most corrupt of any I have ever experienced. Believe it or not I worked for the state for 12 years and left on good terms but am amazed at how corrupt things are. The courts are a joke, the laws are so mixed that its difficult to see what they are. Home values fluctuate a great deal. The weather is ok and utilities are low but quality of life is horrible in some places. If your on the in side life can be wonderful if you can look at yourself in the mirror.
WELL THINKING OF MOVING TO PALM COAST FLORIDA, STOP AND THINK AGAIN. UNLESS YOU ARE RETIRED WITH A LOT OF MONEY ,WILL PAY FOR YOUR HOUSE CASH , NO CREDIT CARDS BILLS AND YOUR CAR PAID IN FULL, I WILL NOT RECOMENDED. THIS TOWN IS A LOOSER LITTLE TOWN WITH RESTRICTIONS ON WHAT YOU CAN PARK ON YOUR DRIVEWAY. YES RENT IS CHEAP OR TO BUY IS CHEAP ,,,, (BUT THERE IS A REASON FOR THAT) AND THE REASON IS THAT IF YOU THINK YOU GONNA COME HERE AND GET A REAL JOB AND PAY ALL YOUR BILLS , YOU ARE VERY WRONG. THERE IS NO FUTURE FOR KIDS HERE AT ALL. UNFORTUNALLY WHEN HOUSES ARE CHEAP THAT MEANS IS A NEW TOWN AND IN A NEW TOWN THERE IS NO PROGRESS , THIS IS AS FAR PALM COAST WILL EVER GROW, COME ON DOWN VISIT AND TRY TO GET A REAL JOB A REAL PAYING JOB AND YOU WILL SEE FOR YOUR SELF. OR BE PREPARE TO TRAVEL ONE HOUR AND HALF TO ORLANDO OR ONE HOUR TO JACKSONVILLE TO GO TO WORK EVERYDAY. THERE ARE MORE FORECLOSURES HERE THAN WHAT YOU CAN IMAGEN. GOOD LUCK.............
Wonder what ever happened to ole Howie?
Everybody is moving TO The Great State of Florida! I'm sure you know that too. South Beach, Bal Harbour, Miami Beach, Aventura, Golden Beach, Surfside, Sunny Isles Beach ~ @WaterWayRealty
If you are curious about Florida and what it might be like to live there just close your eyes, take a deep breath and commit to move there. You should live close to ocean at least once in your life. You'd be living in a place that has a water sunrise and sunset. Where it's warm in January and your relatives will want to come down in droves for a visit. And there is nothing more exciting than the thunderstorms and hurricanes. Just choose to live somewhere safe from the track of hurricanes. There are many attractions there also. There are less than desirable areas there so do your research. In some areas the school system is pretty good, do your research. Move and chalk it up to experience. Have an exit plan if you rent first you can decide better. Even if you rent for 6 months in whatever area you will find out where the desirable areas are.
Goodness DD, where were you renting? Florida has slums just like every other place in the US, but probably less than where you are at.
I highly recommend south Florida zip code 33027'33028
Why are you contemplating moving to Florida or any other area for that matter. the only reasion to move anywhere is that you want to be there,what ever the draw is, family, freinds or job....So Realtor or not, the real decision should be based on your reasons for moving. Once you make the decision to move thats when you contact a Realtor. that way you will be confident that you were not swayed one way or the other by whon some seem to cinsider "opportunistic Realtors"! Good luck!
Wow, moving to Florida from Michigan was the biggest mistake I ever made. It sounds great, no winters, beaches and warm weather. I don't want this to sound bad, but the ppl there looked so trashy. Lots of panhandlers asking for money. ( I was told a lot of hard luck ppl go there due to the warm weather and having to live outside). The roaches are HUGE!! You'll have to have an exterminator come 1-2 times per month. I was TRAUMATIZED by the roaches there! Also, take your hand and make it into a claw, that what the spider in the bathroom looked like. Also, they have what's called fireants there. They just won't go away. They're tiny red ants and if you drop a potato chip they pounce on it. I was so happy I signed a 6 month lease, I was so ready to leave I leg the guy keep my security deposit and I moved back to Michigan in 5 months. I'm telling you, the winters don't bother me at all now. I would say vacation in Florida for awhile if you can and if you still decide to move there be ready for the roaches, poisonous snakes, extreme heat, fireants, panhandlers, and don't forget the lovely giant flying roaches. Not trying to be negative, but it was a nightmare.
True Mark...my answer will be 4 years old in 14 days. And i still look just as young, haha.
Gotta love old questions that never die. 4 years old, maybe a Trulia record? I see my answer was 2 years ago Friday.
MY gf and I moved here to south FL from NJ and let me tell you, its not at all what we expected. I transferred jobs, so no problem there but she hasn't had much luck. There's an ongoing scam down here where they hire you for 3 or 4 wks, then let you go. Then they hire someone else to make it look like they're taking part in Obama's plan to create jobs. She's had 7 jobs since April and only 2 of them were "full time." For 3 wks. The people down here suck. They're old, hate everyone from out of state and they drive like retards. I thought people in NJ were rude and drove bad, but we got nothing on these people! They're also really stupid down here. You'll find that out too. Crime? It's rampant. Far too many illegal immigrant Haitians moved here since the earthquake and they're committing every crime you can think of and some they dont even have a name for yet. You can forget about finding any great restaurants and foods too. Your fav pizza place? Forget it. Cold cuts? It's crap down here. The supermarkets are way expensive. Avoid Publix like the plague. Winn Dixie isn't so bad, but Target is the best. And don't even think of buying a house here. Live here for a few years before you make the decision to move back to where you came from. Sure the weather is great, the apts offer more for less, but you're going to realize it's not easy. Gas prices are insane here. In NJ, it was .50 cents less per gallon and they pumped it for you. And your family and friends aren't coming down to visit you. So get that out of your head now. Anyway good luck and see ya when we go back to NJ!
good weather, good people, good beaches, sources of jobs, why not
I moved to Palm Coast about 5 years ago so that my husband could start a new biz. Biz is great, but out of all the places I have ever lived (ten states and in all different areas of each state), Palm Coast is the WORST place ever! There are good jobs for educated individuals in Jacksonville, Orlando, Miami, and a few other places, but stay away from Palm Coast! You cannot trust any biz people here--lying cheating and stealing from your own customers is common place. Do not trust anyone without careful consideration *CYA*. The town is completely full of realtors that cannot sell anything and are switching to renting (and don't know what the h*** they are doing)
. If you're enterprising and can start your own biz there are many opportunities, however, there are no jobs for those hard working individuals with little or no education. Also, they do not seem to care for children much here and the Doctors, most foreigned trained, are incompetent (pretty much state wide) so watch out for that too!
Its a good idea! Just don't buy or rent a Florida Condominium. The State has basically taken away ALL owners rights and given it to the Association.

We Wise!

Access Denied. • Personal Property Removed • Barricade

Waterway Realty | Miami + Bal Harbour
Web Reference: http://www.sibre.info
I love how everybody who hates Florida has come from somewhere else and hated it there too. Some people are never happy. The reality is this "Do not quit a nice job, then move to Florida and assume your gonna get that same job" Have a plan and move with your mind at ease and enjoy the nice weather.
yess i think it is because they have good wheather and you can do alot of things there you can try go carting you can see dolphins etc..
I think it is a lot nicer here than a lot of other places we've lived!! Some people just like to complain! Florida has something a lot of other places don't- nice weather and beaches etc! That WILL never go anywhere!

Anyway- my hubby is in the military and we have to move- and are putting out home out there to lease or sell. Here is the website
http://livehappyinfl.webs.com/index.htm

Please check it out. We need to move within the next 4 months. If anyone is interested the contact info is on the site along with a description and tons of pics of this beautiful Florida home!
Well, Howie, if you are still following this after 2 years, guess what, Florida continues to get bigger, the population continues to grow. Everyone did not leave. The headline grabber is true -- a few more people move from Florida to other US states than from other US states to Florida, BUT that ignores 1) foreign immigration and 2) the excess of births over deaths.

Sorry it didn't work out for you jergirl (Jersey Girl?), Southernshark, and Jim. We'll miss you, enjoy the snow.
That sounds like a smart decision! Buy when everyone is selling and sell when everyone is buying- or something like that. If I'm the last one to leave, I'll grab the flag!

Please let me know when the exodus starts.
Contrary to what you are saying, everyone is not leaving--I love living in Northwest Florida, and I and most other people I know here aren't going anywhere else
Web Reference: http://www.MykeTriebold.com
Hey Howie,

Florida is a great place to call home, I have lived in Florida all my life, except I spent a year in Colorado and couldnt wait to move back to sunny, Florida. I have been in real estate for 3 years now and in my experience, Florida is still attracting many snowbirds and families from all over the country. I live in Jacksonville, FLorida ,which is NE Florida. Jacksonville is one of the largest-in land coverage, cities in Florida. It is a great place for any lifestyle and as far as hurricanes, I have lived in NE Florida all my life and have never experienced one-knock on wood. I can't say enough good things about my area and if you decide to relocate to North Florida, I would be delighted to help you with finding the home of your dreams.
Hello! My name is Tanayia & I have a great answer to your question HOWIE! I would LOVE to introduce to you a presentation that will help your financial statues as well as your decision on moving to FLORIDA. Please feel free to contact me at my email address [tanayiaj@yahoo.com]. Thank you so much in advance, I look forward to hearing from you. P.S ALL YOUR QUESTIONS & CONCERNS WILL BE ANSWERED. TRUST ME.
LOOKING FOR A NICE HOME AT A LOW PRICE?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 31, 2008
It depends on your age and what you are looking for. I moved to Florida three years ago after living in Connecticut for over 20 years. I chose the very North East of FL to still enjoy the four seasons. Weather wise it was/is the greatest choice. Summers are hot here, but they also are up North and here A/C runs throughout the hot months (just like in the North you nead the Heat on for several months) and yet you can turn OFF the A/C and the Heat for days and weeks at a time. If you are young or middle-age and think of coming here to work, thing about it twice. Although you'll get a lot more for your money when you buy or rent a home, the average salary here is very low when compared to the North, and everything else such as food, clothing, services such as house repairs, etc. costs the same as in the North.
I live in Florida and ANYONE moving here is a fool. I have many family members already leaving and moving to Tn or NC. The property tax, home insurance rates, etc will kill you. My wife and I are leaving as well.

Recents polls show that a high percent of people in FL are leaving now or thinking about leaving. Florida is not the EDEN that people think it is. I was born and raised in the mountains and I can not wait to get back.
Hello Howie,

FIrst of all, don't believe everything you read, because not everyone is leaving Florida. It is still one of the best places to live and at the moment, a great time to buy. Prices will increase again, and people will be kicking themselves for not buying during a down turn in the market.

There is a price to pay for living in "Paradise" and not everyone wants to pay the price. We relocated from Australia over 20 years ago and have never regretted it. I have yet to experience a snow storm,land slide or tornado, but I have contended with some heavy rain, and days of sunshine.

Spend some time here and you will understand why we wouln't live anywhere else.
Web Reference: http://www.PhilFowler.com
Howie

You might find this recent article helpful

http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/104278/Best-and…
Howie,
You might benefit from coming to Florida, spending some time here, and determining for yourself why the state is still one of the top choices for relocation. Climate, job availability, social & cultural experiences, etc. etc. are some of the reason why more people are coming than leaving...... Quality of life here is something you can't truly appreciate until you have experienced it first hand.

Be careful who you listen to.....not everything you hear is true.
As a general statement, demand drives price, and lack of demand lowers price. In theory, it sounds simple, but we never know the future, and what price points the future may bring. Across Florida, in so many places, we see lower prices today than in recent years.

It is common for buyers to ask, "Is now a good time?" Since none of us can guarantee the future, we provide our opinons. Prices in many areas of Florida have gone down. But, even within cities and MSAs, there are strong pockets also.

The right decision depends upon the particular circumstances for the buyer. Are you looking for speculative purposes? Will this be an owner-occupied primary home? second home? How long do you plan to occupy the property?

For buyers looking to make a primary purchase of a home and occupy long term, there are some great buys. Without knowing the exact area, or your details, my advice would concur w/ Tmans. Do your homework.

It warrants time and energy to investigate if the opportunities currently presented are right for you and your situation.
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Red Bank, NJ
I agree with Marlene about not everyone is leaving Florida.
According to the department of Elder affairs since 1980, Florida's population has grown an average of 873 new residents daily. Many of them being retired individuals and many people that are only here for the winter months. So while some people move out of Florida there are many many more that move here daily.
I would definitely consider looking for a new home at this time. The interest rates have come down some and there are plenty of homes choose from. Make sure you take in to consideration what you do for a living as to which area you will want to move.
Web Reference: http://www.MyFlorida.com
Howie:
There is a large number of people moving to Central Florida based on my experience. The January rush seems to have started strong. I have not only locals, but people from Georgia, New Jersey, Alabama, and even Canada contacting me about available properties. And do we have a great market for buyers, homes that werer going for $240K 18 months ago ar enow wgoing for $150K, almost new. First time buyers have nice homes starting at $120's.

Everyone who has been considering moving to Central Flroida is begining to see the time is now. I even heard of 3 contracts in one property over the weekend. We have not seen that in 2 years.
Well, just so you know, everyone ISN'T leaving!!! Our market is strong for lower priced properties--the investment market is struggling, the condo market is struggling, but there are a fair number of buyers looking for primary residences. But it is a GREAT time to buy here, with interest rates and prices being a lot lower. And today it looks like our homestead allottment is about to increase as well--good news for those who live here. This is a wonderful place to live, work, and enjoy yourself!!! Come and visit us, and let me show you everything we have to offer!!!