11nydave, Home Seller in Fort Lauderdale, FL

i am looking for a condo for my active lifestyle non driving Mother.

Asked by 11nydave, Fort Lauderdale, FL Sun Apr 21, 2013

I am looking for a condo for my 73 year old mother. She currently lives in NYC and I am trying to get her to start living part of the year in Florida. I live in Central America so Ft. Lauderdale is an easy flight for me. She is quite active, but doesn't drive, so public transportation is a necessity. I took her to look at Century Village( where in my opinion they are giving condos away) but she hated it. Her comment was" They all look so old". After trying to explain to her that it was May and the snowbirds had left she still didn't want to hear it. I am looking for safe with good transportation options close to some sort of culturally enriching activities. I would like a 1 bedroom with 1 and a half baths and a HOA of under $500.

Thanks for all of your help.
Dave

Answers

13
You might want to look into Kings Point in Delay Beach, Florida. The community has a huge, active clubhouse, reasonably priced condos, and is served by buses that run throughout the community. Also, just up the street is another community called Huntington Lakes. Condos are about 10 years younger than those in Kings Point and prices are somewhat higher. However, this community also has a very large. lavish and beautifully kept clubhouse with dozens of clubs and organized activities. It is also served by a shuttle bus and public transportation at its gate.

Delray Beach is a 30 minute drive from the Fort Lauderdale airport.

Marc Jablon, the Jablon Team
Re/Max Complete Solutions
JablonTeam@gmail.com
561-213-6139
http://www.JablonTeam.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 16, 2014
Type your answer here...Funny that you replied to this thread now. I spoke with my Mom last week and I think this winter has finally convinced her to really consider Florida for the winter. I will be in touch with one or two agents from this forum.

Thnak you for your time and advice.
There is a wonderful community specially built for 55+ at KINGS POINT in TAMARAC in BROWARD COUNTY. They have 2bed/2bath starting around the 40's right on up to 150+, with waterview, and have a magnificent Clubhouse. They have indoor and out door pool, a gym, a huge theatre with Star acts, movies, many clubs, activities, shows, tennis court, card games. They have a bus to take her to the doctor, to the store, to the movies, and so much more.

I would very much like to help you, pleas give me a call

LUCIA F SELLEK
KINGS POINT PROPERTIES, INC.
954-213-5137
Thank you for all of your replies. I will start talking with my mother this weekend and start getting in touch with some of you.
I would also recommend some of the smaller buildings located behind Las Olas Boulevard. It's easy walking distance to the shops and restaurants as well as trolly pickup which would be able to take her just about anywhere on the East Side of town. Riverview Gardens might interest her.
There are plenty of options here in the Fort Lauderdale area--
what price range and other criteria are you looking for?
I think everyone is right that a 55 year old plus community would be perhaps better for her because if she goes to a younger community, the younger people will not befriend her for social activities.

I recommend Coral Ridge Towers which is at walking distance to the beach (Oakland Park Bl and A1A IN foRT lauderdale) and close to just about everything else and very well connected with bus rides to everywhere. But best, she will also be in the heart of "culturally enriching activities". A 1 bedroom will run around $125K to $180K depending on upgrades and better views and the maintenance will be around $500émo (not including electricity, internet or premium cable).
55+ is the answer. These communities are safe, have courtesy buses and plenty of social activities. You just need to show your Mom a few and see which one appeals to her. You are absolutely right about showing the Century Village at a "wrong" time of the year. I play golf in CV of Deerfield and let me tell you, the local residents are playing tennis, volleyball and baci balls every time I am there. If you need help and further guidance, I would be glad to work with you.
Marsha Umansky
954-673-1624
Hello Dave:

I have a nice community in mind. It is a 55 and older community just west of Federal Highway and McNab Road. It is walking distance to a Publix shopping center with a few stores and on a bus route that she can pretty much get to everywhere. There are a few other areas that I can think of. I would be happy to assist you in finding a great place for your mom. Please feel free to contact me anytime. I am a full time top producing agent and I will help anyone that is looking to purchase a property regardless of their price range. I agree with your mom on Century Village. It sounds like she has a young sole!

Barbara Easton-Irvin
Atlantic Properties
954-740-7855
Hi Dave,

I have exactly what you are looking for. The right size, the right size and lots of thing to do.
I have just 2 very interesting condos in my mind and there are lots others out there.
Let's talk about it 954 232 0434.

Have a great evening.

Andrea Hoff-Domin
Lic. Real Estate Broker
Florida Dream Homes Realty
http://www.florida-dream-homes.net
andrea@florida-informations.com
I'd be happy to help you and your mother. Contact me at:

Scrabis.r@ewm.com or

954 232 0300

Rick Scrabis
For your mom who wants an active adult community that is close to culturally encriching activities, you may want to look Huntington Lakes in Delray Beach. It is a 24/7 guard gated condo community with a bus with own shuttle bus and a public bus that stops at the front gate for those residents who want to go elsewhere.

In addition, condos in Huntington Lakes in Delray Beach are priced from the 80s to the 120s for a 2/2. Huntington Lakes in Delray Beach is 15 minutes by car from the ocean and downtown Delray Beach.

A similar but somewhat newer community, situated right across the street, is called Huntington Pointe, with condo and villa prices ranging from $130,000 - $170,000.

The monthly condo fee in each community is under $500. In addition, each has a 50,000 square foot clubhouse with its own theatre. Concerts, shows, ballet, etc are perfromed there on a constant basis, in addition to weekly films. And the clubhouse, which is a focal point of social activity, offers dozens or organized clubs, classes and activities, along with an indoor pool, gym, sauna, billard room, library and card rooms..

Delray Beach is about 20 minutes from Palm Beach International airport, but if you come into Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood, it will take you about 35 minutes to drive to your condo in Delray Beach.

Marc Jablon, The Jablon Team
RE/MAX Complete Solutions
JablonTeam@gmail.com
561-213-6139
http://www.JablonTeam.com

To see homes in Delray Beach, go to:
Happy Sunday!

My name is Jalana, and I am an agent IN fort Lauderdale. I live in the Las Olas community! I actually have a similar situation... I live in south florida, and my mom lives in Central Florida (Ocala). lol. Well, there are TONS of things to do where I live, and I walk to almost EVERY event/activity because I live so close! The crime is very low and I would say it is one of the safest environments I have lived in in South Florida!! I believe I would be able to help your mom in finding a suitable place. Here in Downtown Fort Lauderdale (Las Olas), we have easy access to public transportation, AND we have the Broward County Terminal, as well, so she can go to just about anywhere! If you would like my help, call me or text me at 954-549-4751! Please leave a message, if no answer, and ill get back to you by tomorrow! Hope the rest of your evening is wonderful!