Home Buying in San Jose>Question Details

Brian, Home Buyer in Dublin, CA

i am considering a move to san jose...can someone recommend a neighborhood for upscale professional married?

Asked by Brian, Dublin, CA Thu Jan 8, 2009

couple...prefer single family home...not interested in condos. thank you...we still need a realtor to rep us..

Answers

9
Hi Brian,
You have gotten good advice from the other Realtors. I specialize in helping buyers with REO'S/Short Sales and in your price range I'll be honest with you and say it is going to be extremely tough finding you a SFR in a good area. Generally it goes like this not so good areas are running between 250k-350k, ok areas run between 325k -450k good areas are going 425k-600k ,very good areas are going for 550k and up . This is just a GENERAL idea there are always exceptions to this, this is based on a 3 bed 2 bath home and the areas with the good schools always cost more. (Also the low end homes usually need a lot of work.)
I would definely sell your Condo first Andrea is correct in saying it will be very, very hard to get your offer accepted if your home is not at least in Escrow.
If you have any questions or if you would like to talk with someone who works in this area feel free to do so as I am always happy to help.

Allyson
(408)705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
i agree with all said here, just choose a realtor who does work in that area.
I live and work in Morgan Hill, so I know that area very well.
Sure, I can sell in San Jose, but would not be your best choice.
Pick Realtor who can show you the town/district and knows the history and any upcoming changes.

Local Realtors are still your best bet
Hi Brian, most of the options in your price range are going to be bank owned/REO's. These sellers usually will not accept an offer contingent upon the sale of your condo. Is it currently on the market and hopefully do you already have a buyer in contract?
Brian,
There is a great neighborhood in San Jose, I know you could buy a single family home for $350,000.
I can show you. Give me a call at your earliest convenience, these homes do go pending fairly quickly.
Most of the homes are bank owned or short sales giving enough time to sell your home in Dublin.
Denise Stuart
Coldwell Banker
408-893-3400
Brian -

Saw your second response after posting my long winded summary... : )

With $350,000 and not wanting a condo, the choices are few. A townhome or condo near Willow Glen would set you up well with elementary school. There may be some 2BR/1 Bath homes downtown in the price range but would not offer the best schools. It may be worth selling your condo in Dublin and renting for awhile. I am happy to discuss different strategies with no obligation.

CJ
Brian
There are a lot of great neighborhoods to consider, now it is finding out more about what you want in a neighborhood. Here are a couple of summaries for the San Jose area...

- Los Gatos, Willow Glen, and Campbell have nice little downtowns with walk to coffee, dining, and some entertainment. From a resale standpoint all work well. Los Gatos has the higher ranked schools. Victorian and Bungalow architecture prevails in Lost Gatos. Willow Glen probably has the most variety of architecture and is most convenient to mass transit (Cal Train to the San Francisco).

- Cambrian is close to Los Gatos, convenient to the highways (particularly 17 to Santa Cruz) and also have good resale and strong schools. Some pockets of larger lots and a couple of new developments but mostly ranch style homes.

- Blossom Valley and Santa Teresa are most suburban with most developments being built in the 70s. There is a new shopping mall supposedly being built at the junction of Cottle and 85 that is suppose to be like Santana Row. Of course the foothills of Santa Teresa have a great deal of hiking /biking trails with the 1000s of acres in Santa Teresa Park.

- Almaden Valley another large suburb with some very large homes and good schools. There is also the Los Alamitos bike/walking trail that goes along Almaden Valley and ends up at the great park of Almaden Lake.

- West San Jose nestle between Cupertino, Campbell and downtown San Jose really boast convenience being near major highways and the great dining and entertainment of Santana Row. A great deal of Ranch homes in this area.

- Burbank - older homes along San Carlos and 280 corridor tend to be smaller and quaint. This area is being revitalized and is an up and coming neighborhood. Again - convenient to Santana Row without having two many large homes.

- Rose Garden - large, beautiful homes with the tendency toward large lots. Some bungalows and cottages nestles amongst new "Mc Mansion" types. Mature trees, neighborhoods with good neighbors and the convenience of being near the up and coming area of The Alameda and the convenience to downtown San Jose, Willow Glen, and Hwys 280 and 17.

- Downtown San Jose - an up and coming downtown with more and more dining and entertainment to be had. Convenient to museums and mass transit. Many new developments in the downtown area for town homes and condos. Metro living coming up.

- Naglee Park - Downtown San Jose - near the University without being toooo near. Older homes, Victorians and Bungalows with wonderful old tree lined streets and a diverse group of neighbors. Convenient to downtown without the tall buildings.

- North First - some great new developments over the years. Nestled up close to the technology companies and the airport with convenient mass transit. Homes tend to be older and lots smaller over all.

- Evergreen and Silver Creek where the incredibly active retirement community of THE VILLAGES presides. I think they have 3 golf course and over 100 different clubs/activities to be involved with. Evergreen has a community college and some up and coming schools with mostly ranch homes. There are some new developments within Silver Creek and Evergreen and as you get further up into the hills some incredible views of the valley.

- Alum Rock - a quaint area near 101/680 corridor with older small homes in the valley and then larger more prestigious homes as you move into the foot hills. Not many restaurants or nightlife and traffic can be a challenge on Alum Rock Ave. Lots of hiking/biking in the hills and mass transit by Capitol Expressway. This area has been hit hard by foreclosures and the lack of conveniences pushes most people up into the hills for view and peace away from the hustle and bustle.

- Berryessa - lots of town homes and newer developments. Lots of great dining spots and convenience to mass transit.

- Morgan Hill offers more home and lot for the dollar. The downtown is cute and offers some dining and limited shopping. Cal Train runs parallel to 101 so their is convenience to San Francisco. 101 can be a challenge in regards to the commute. Again, lots of hiking biking possibilities. Lake Anderson has some wonderful communities developed.

Hope that helps as an overview.

CJ
Web Reference: http://www.TalkToCJ.com
Hi Brian,

There are many wonderful single family neighborhoods in San Jose to choose from such as Willow Glen, Rose Garden, Almaden, Silver Creek and others. To determine which neighborhood would fit best for you and your family's needs, I would need to understand a few more pieces of the puzzle. Some important factors to know would be budget, school needs and commute. I work with many buyers and sellers in the San Jose area and would be happy to help you find the home that perfectly suits you.

Feel free to contact me at 408-309-5471 or check out my website and drop me an email.

Happy New Year and Best Wishes,
April
Web Reference: http://AprilTavares.com
i am preapproved at $350,000. i presently own a condo in dublin ca and would need to sell. our biggest priority is quality of neighborhood, good school would be second priority
Hi Brian, there are many neighborhoods in San Jose that meet that criteria. Are you interested in school API scores as well? I guess it all depends on how much you can spend for a home. What price range have you been preapproved for? I am assuming that you have already been preapproved by a lender/mortgage broker? If not, the agent you choose can help you with that process as well.