Mac, Home Buyer in American Canyon, CA

how much usually are real estate agent fees if i hire one when i buy a house? are they negotiable?

Asked by Mac, American Canyon, CA Sun Jul 26, 2009

i am interested in buying a home in American Canyon & have been doing my own research. I actually have found a house that i like which fits my price range. the only funds that i have is a small amount that i have been saving up for down payment. i have a set amount as to how much monthly payments i can afford for my mortgage. but i have read about other fees such as agent fees, lender fees & closing costs & i am concerned that i will not be able to afford these other out-of-pocket expenses. will you please help enlighten me on these matters?

Answers

8
Brad Davidson’s answer
Hi Mac,

While the commission is paid by the seller, that cost is built into the price of the home you're buying. There are several companies, like mine http://(www.wehelpubuy.com), that share that commission with the buyers they represent. I recently sold a bank owned house to a client in American Canyon and my rebate saved them over $8,000 that they used for closing costs.

Give me a call if you want to know more about rebates.

Brad Davidson
Broker
http://www.wehelpubuy.com
714-961-8442
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 26, 2009
Fees are paid by seller for listing / buyers agent.

Listed in agreement by seller on buyers agent fees which are paid at closing by seller via title company.

Buyers agent might be able structure sales offer where seller pays your closing costs however based on your lender approval.

Out pocket expenses are: inspection, appraisal, closing cost, insurance, tax.

Have your mortgage broker review all this with you.

GREAT QUESTION:

Keep in mind you receive annual tax benefits owning a home !

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911
Web Reference: http://www.lynn911.com
Hi there Mac,
You should retain a buyer agent to assist you In the purchase of your new home..and the best part of that is.that we are paid by the seller of the property, an amount pre-arranged between the seller and the listing agent.There are other fees that you mentioned, such as closing costs which are usually about 3% of the purchase price, but they can be lower. It depends upon where you get your loan, so shop around on that. There is the "good faith" deposit, normally another 3% of your offer on the property, plus the down payment for your loan, can be from 3.5% for FHA or as high as 20% of the purchase price.
this is Mac who posted the question - and i just want to thank you all who gave your best replies to my query. i now feel a bit more comfortable asking an agent's assistance in buying a house & also have a better understanding of what to expect from the real estate agent i shall hopefully be working with. thanks, again - all your efforts to shed light are highly appreciated!
Mac,

The professional fees associated with purchasing a home are normally paid for by the sellers.

We recommend meeting with a mortgage consultant to get started on financial end og the buying process. They will be able to answer your questions about additional fees as well.

As mentioned below, the seller pays your real estate agent fees. So like all buyers you have a great deal in getting a real estate agent for fee. Now you will have closing costs. Depending how much your purchase price is, closing costs can range from 2%-3%+ of the purchase price. So on a $300,000 you could be looking at $6,000-$9,000+ in closing costs. If you are putting less than 20% down and/or getting a FHA or VA loan, closing costs are higher because the lender takes 6+mos of reserves up front in property taxes, mortgage insurance and homeowners insurance as part of closing costs. Closing costs include lender and escrow fees. A lot of buyers ask the seller to credit them 3% to pay for all of their closing costs.
Hello:

The seller usually pays the commission part but you will have closing costs and costs for your inspections. It would greatly benefit you to find an agent you are comfortable to work with. An agent can do all the leg work and research for you and also give you an idea of closing costs or even possibly negotiate the seller to pay some closing costs in the deal for you.

Good Luck to you!
Gina Fagnani
Century 21 Hearst Realty
The SELLER pays your Realtor's commission...no worries! Your Realtor should also be abe to negotiate in some closing costs to help you. Good luck!
Web Reference: http://cindihagley.com
The Hagley G…, Real Estate Pro in Pleasanton, CA