Sanjeevk, Home Buyer in Needham, MA

how much it cost to connect to public sewer?

Asked by Sanjeevk, Needham, MA Mon Dec 28, 2009

In Newton (auburndale ) area, how much it costs to connect to sewer system.
This house we heard about has old septic system. Also need to add a full bath which may cost $8k-12k, roof need to be replaced. Among all those, sewer work looks scary.

Answers

4
Sanjeevk’s answer
Thank you all those responded. I was told that it's all seller's responsibility to clear title 5 before they sell and since they can't get this done until spring because of digging, mortgage provider bank will hold some money like 10k from seller's check until house is connected to public sewer. I am trying to find a contractor to get educated
It's a sliding scale that depends on the septic needs of the facility. Besides that, costs can also vary depending on the nature of the sewer infrastructure. For instance, it's much more expensive to connect a large home to a small system. The load placed on the pipes can be quite substantial.
http://www.kirbybrosconstruction.com/Septic-System-Installat…
Hello Sanjeevk- Yes, this all depends on many variables. But I would say $5000 is a good ballpark figure. And you should contact a sitework contractor to get a better idea and have them see how long the connection is, what the hook up fees are at the city, etc. They would really do 90% of this work- not a plumber.
KCC Excavating is a good small company that might be good to contact; they do small jobs like this and do a lot of sewer and water tie ins. Based in Wilmington.

Also- does the roof need to be totally replaced, or just gone over with another layer of shingles? That's a big cost difference...

If I can be of any help, please let me know. Thanks,
Ken L.
I would not be scared - depending on the purchase price it may all be fine. It all depends on where the connections are. I just had a client who had a cesspool in the back. He needed to connect to the sewer. They had to dig from the street down the driveway - through the garage and hook up to the plumbing. (as well as reasphalt, replace concrete in garage and fill in cesspool) It cost about $10,000. But it really depends and has several variables. I would call a plumber and they can give you a good estimate. If you send me an email I can put you in touch with a plumber and excavator to get an estimate.