vanila, Home Buyer in Saratoga, CA

how much does it cost to build with fairly good material in los altos hills - generally?

Asked by vanila, Saratoga, CA Sun Jul 7, 2013

My company builds luxury modular homes that come in between $175 to $250 per square foot complete. Much depends on the site itself- hillside or more level, city services or no ( a biggee) . If you are on a hillside I have a very unique solution that is very cost efficient, as well as beautiful and green. Let me know if I can get you more information. Best, Dianne
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Oct 5, 2013
We are just in the midst of getting in bids. I have heard stories of homes that come in at $200 and I have not been impressed. The same builders who quoted me $300 one year ago when we first started this process, are now quoting $350+ So prices have gone up in the last year or so.
The quality I like seems to be closer to $450 + (current homes under construction in LAH).
Hope this helps.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 28, 2013

It depends on the lot (size and slope) and what you wish to build. Is the house on sewer or septic? Will it include a basement? What is the MDA and FAR of the lot? What type of finishes do you want? How do you define "fairly good materials?" Are you building for your own use or to build to sell? Have you spoke with an architect and/or local builder about what you would like? Do you have the property or will you need to procure it? I have too many questions that need to be answered before I can give you a good idea on costs. Please provide more details.

David Blockhus
Coldwell Banker
650 917-4250
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 7, 2013
As the others have noted, it really depends on what you are building, where and the finishes. I'd figure more in the $350-$450+ per square foot range to be safe. (and it isn't that hard to spend significantly more) Hillsides are more expensive, if you are replacing an existing building with a driveway and utilities, etc, you may be able to use some of the footprint. Don't forget about landscaping, hardscapes etc because that can easily add hundreds of thousands of dollars. Make sure your contractor and architect are familiar with building codes, etc for LAH because you can avoid costly mistakes. Get referrals for some good local companies like Kansky, Mehus, Kelly, SJR Ventures, Bob Daily, Komo, etc.
Good luck. Owen Halliday
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 7, 2013
Thanks Owen for thr referrals to some good building companies. Bob
Flag Sat Oct 5, 2013
For a typical home of 2500 to 3500 sqft I'd approximate $200 to $350 per sqft depending upon the quality & custom nature of appliances, fixtures, flooring, etc...

Stu Carson
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 7, 2013
"Good materials" and built to code: $200-$250/square foot
High end materials and construction methods: $$250-$350/square foot

These number ranges are based on replacement costs I've seen recently in appraisals done on properties in the town.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 7, 2013
What are you building? House, barn, shed?