Home Buying in 20171>Question Details

Curiousbuyer, Home Buyer in 20171

how much does a structural engineer cost in 20171?

Asked by Curiousbuyer, 20171 Tue May 1, 2012

We found a dipping in the floor next to a wall during home inspection. We would like to have a structural engineer to take a look at the underlining issues.

Help the community by answering this question:


did you get an appointment?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 3, 2012
Thanks Erik for following up. I called and emailed him the problem descibed in the report. Unfortunately, he has not called back with the information. The seller has gone ahead ordered their own inspection and the report is due out tomorrow. I will see what the report says. Thanks!
Flag Thu May 3, 2012
If you need help, I can get some one for you. It is better not to give any esitmate. Let someone come and look at the problem and then they can give you an estimate.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu May 3, 2012
if you need a good one..simply contact me. I have a professional who is tops in his field.

Kind Regards,

Erik J. Weisskopf, ABR,CDPE,CRS,GRI
Re/Max Distinctive Real Estate, Inc.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed May 2, 2012
Yes.It can be anywhere from drain tiles/waterproofing/plumbing and it should cost less than $1000.00 or better to have a look foundation expert
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 1, 2012
Hello Curious Buyer.
The location of the 'dip' is necessary to determine what the cause may be. Is it near a water feature i.e. sink, tub, shower, toilet, etc.? There are structural engineers in the yellow pages, on the web, and possibly on Angie's List.
I recently had a buyer use one to check out the possibility of moving a stairway to a basement. They have different price points so call to get their information. Give them full details of the issue and photos too.
I hope this helps. You may contact me if you have additional questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 1, 2012
You did not mention whether the dip Is in a concrete floor or other. If your inspector found what he thought was a defect in the structure, your agent should be asking the seller to pay for the inspection/repairs in an Addendum. If the seller will not pay for the inspection/repair, do your own research and "Google" structural engineers to find out their earliest availability and how they charge. If it turns out to be a structural defect, the seller should pay. Last year I asked the sellers on behalf of my buyers to have a basement wall crack inspected -- it ended up costing the seller $15k for the inspection and repair. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue May 1, 2012
Thanks Janet for your answer.
The dip is on the main level, hardwood floor, in the lobby between the stairway and powder room wall. The home inspector took a look from the basement, does not find any problem there. He recommend to have a structural engineer to inspect.
Flag Wed May 2, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer