Home Buying in New York>Question Details

Hong Yao, Home Buyer in 11361

how long does it take to get the title for the house we purchased? we closed the deal in early January, but have yet received the title.

Asked by Hong Yao, 11361 Mon Apr 15, 2013

our lawyer said it's normal for such a long wait. Any suggestion what we should do to push it?

Answers

6
You can check online to see if it has been recorded. You can do this on the ACRIS site. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/property/acris.shtml is the address. If it has been recorded, you should be receiving it shortly. You can have your attorney look into it.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 15, 2013
Depends, therefore your attorney and or title company can better advise....
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 15, 2013
Hong Yao,

This probably depends a lot on the area. If you are dealing with NYC, don't hold your breath.

Actually, you might call the title company that closed you and nudge them a bit; they are probably in the best position for good information and expectations.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 15, 2013
- Hong Yao, Home Buyer, 11361
Thanks for the explanation! Tthat sure helps for my understanding of the process. It turns out our attorney made an error on the deed with the date. it was rejected by the county when sent in for recording. Now it has to be fixed and resubmitted. Probably takes another couple of months...

That doesn't matter, though.

The deed is the instrument that conveys title. The seller signs a document stating something to the effect of, "Hello, world! I hereby convey and warrant my interest in the property to Hong Yao in exchange for more money than I've ever seen in my life!"

Sometimes, the purchase contract will state that title transfers at a later time; this allows the seller to sign the deed a few days before the deal closes. But at that time, title transfers. Recording it is merely a matter of letting the world know that Seller no longer owns the property, and they've given their interest to You.

In reality the idea of the Title for the House is very different from say Title for the car...

In fact, a lot of real estate professionals will think that every one knows it and very few people outside of the field do.

Because real estate is not mobile it's just not treated in same way.

So, title=idea of ownership.

Contract, a binding agreement to do something at some point.

Deed, transfer of the ownership or transfer of the title.

Deed is valid if it is done properly, if lawyers were working on it, it is very much likely to be just fine.
If it contains your and seller signatures. You are the owner of the title.

Again, in the other words, at the closing when all the documents get signed, exchanged, read, so on so forth, then is the time when you are conveyed the title. Title is not really so much the paper but rather an idea that results from the closing. You get "Good Title".

Did you get tax bill?

So, you in a way do not "get the title" rather you "own the title"

If it was recorded or not, legally you already are the owner.

Still if word of your lawyer is not enough for you, you can go and ask the government.
Flag Tue Apr 30, 2013
My attorney has been in contact with the title company. The explanation was that the application was returned because of some errors. The company has since resubmitted it. I am wondering if they have been straight with me. A bit worried.