Home Buying in Chicago>Question Details

Dwilson, Home Buyer in Chicago, IL

how does a non us citizen obtain a mortgage to buy property in the us if they are sponsored by their employer?

Asked by Dwilson, Chicago, IL Wed Jan 7, 2009

to work full time in the us?

Help the community by answering this question:


Ken Dooley’s answer
With 30% down and a solid appraisal you shouldn't have a problem obtaining a loan to purchase in Chicago.
Take a look at the linkS below to an answerS I posted to similar questions.




Let me know if you have any further questions.

Ken Dooley CIPS,ABR,TRC http://www.KenDooley.com/my-blog/
Web Reference: http://www.KenDooley.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Jan 24, 2009
If you are a Canadian citizen, you shouldn't have any issues buying a property if you are coming in on an H1B (as I did). However, don't try to buy property if you are coming in on a TN visa (as it will cause issues if INS finds out as it is a temporary intent visa).
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jan 9, 2009
Best of luck with your research.

I would be happy to assist your search if you do get relocated to Chicagoland. It's a fantastic city with many different neighborhoods and beautiful suburban options close to downtown as well.

Thank you,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Jan 8, 2009
Thanks Derek for your quick response.

After I posted my question I realized I could have been more clear about my employment status. The head office for my company is in Chicago and I may be relocated to work there from our Canadian affiliate office this spring. I am doing some research on the opportunity and wanted to know what challenges I would face when the time comes to find a place to live while I work in the US.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 7, 2009
You are not required to be a full time resident in the US to qualify for purchasing property. Anyone can purchase real state. You are not required to be a resident to make a loan to purchase property but presently foreign national borrowers are being asked to provide between 30 and 40 percent of the sale price as their deposit.

There are Canadian Banks that have branches in the US that offer a lower deposit amount. We would recommend doing some research along these lines prior to considering US funding sources.

Good luck,
The Eckler Team
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 7, 2009
Being a non US citizen has nothing to do with owning property in the US. I have seen cases where it is easier for a non citizen to get a mortgage than it is for a citizen. America wants your tax dollars. You may would have a problem with your employer. I dont know what you mean by being sponsored by your employer. But if you mean they pay without taking out taxes, than you will probably have to go and get a no doc loan. THis means they are going to give you a no documentation loan. These loans have been drying up lately and are getting harder to get. You need to call a mortgage broker. I would go with a mortgage broker not a bank.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 7, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer