Homebuyerine…, Home Buyer in Exton, PA

how do you select an agent?

Asked by Homebuyerinexton, Exton, PA Tue May 24, 2011

what it means agent having qualifications - CRS, ABR, GRI, e-pro and SRES? How does it different than who have none or some of these qualifications? what is some agent having Ph.D? Is it a Ph.D. in real estate business? What do they do with a Ph.D? should be teaching in a college?

Answers

6
Hello Homebyer

Maybe my blog post will help answer your question -
http://downingtownrealestate.blogspot.com/2011/06/real-estat…

I personally feel education affects how you approach anything in life - I have an MBA - certainly not a requirement in this business, but I have been told by clients that they appreciate my level of analysis. My education does help with how I articulate, my ability to simplify - to separate the nuggets of good information from the massive info now available to through the internet....

Depends on what is important to you - we all have our strengths and are proficient with the rest. Meet atleast 3 and go with your gut feel.

Good Luck
Bela Vora
Web Reference: http://belavora.com
Interview several Realtors, don't worry about the letter designations, some people are great at gain designations and have the personality of a fish. Sit with each Realtor and ask what they can do for you, ask for a CMA. This will also show you which Realtors are on the money as far as fair market value and which are take a stab in the dark. If you interview say 4 Realtors for different Realty Firms then you should have 4 Similar CMAs, if you don't then ask how each got the number they did. Look at how professional each are. See which make you comfortable and which have appealing personalities. These are all sell points and marketing tools. You will also want to call each the next day, provided it is a business day and see how long it takes them to return your call. This will let you know if you will be hunting you Realtor down or if they will be there when you need them. See which ones tell you how they keep logs on phone calls, walk ins, showings and how they keep you up to date. You want a Realtor that will call at least once a week and inform you on the status and activity of he week, even if there is none! Always ask if the have a back up agent in case they are out of commission for any reason, you don't need your property in limbo because you Realtor had an accident or a family emergency! You are hiring a professional, ask them to show you how professional they are, You biggest financial asset is on the line, you want only the most competent and professional person working with it!

Now besides that advice, I wish you the best of luck and a quick sell time with your property and hope you get full asking price!
As a buyer, your best bet is to talk with friends that might have recommendations, otherwise you can go to open houses and talk with agents to see if you connect with anyone.

A lot of agents have a lot of education that may or may not be directly relevant to real estate. So someone with a PhD probably has a degree in something unrelated, but you will be working with an educated person. You can see what type of education people have and it may help find an agent. For example, I have an engineering degree, and worked 12 years in finance before getting into real estate so I tend to click better with buyers and sellers who really want to crunch numbers.
The answer to your question overlaps with another question we had about the demise of Realtors: The certifications you listed are not easy to come by; they are expensive and require a lot of work and study. They are evidence of the committment some Realtors make to their profession. The good Realtors never stop learning, we operate with a committment to our clients and ourselves. You can spot these people in five minutes when you talk to them; they don't sound like a used-car-salesman.
Look for experience and a proven track record of success. To get those designations you mention, agents take some extra classes. That does not necessarily translate to real world experience. Interview a few agents and see who you have the best rapport with. Ask the agents how many properties they have sold in the last year. Ask them about how they work - are they full time agents (don't go with anyone who is less!), how long have they been in the business. Find out if the agent has a team - this isn't a bad thing if sometimes a different agent is showing you properties, as that means someone will always be available for you. Ask for references or testimonials. Check their online feedback and their website.

Good luck in your home buying,

Richard Schulman
Hi Homebuyerinexton,

The agent qualifications mean the agent has more education, not necessarily more experience. The qualifications are good because most agents actually learn something when getting the qualifications. That does not mean, however, that an agent without the qualifications is any less an agent.

The best way to select an agent is to ask friends and family if they know of any good agents. You should try to get a few names (Google in your area too) and then interview them to see who you are most comfortable with. Purchasing a home can be a stressful experience so the more comfortable you are with your agent, the better.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com